NPD: Koko Boost

maddnotez

Banned
Second go around with this pedal. I am going to have to keep it this time. Such a great boost.

I use the Maxon 808 as "the standard" boost and the Koko is just better. If you set the boost level very low it can do what the Maxon can do but the Koko can give you so much more if you want and I want. Plus the mid frequency knob is a nice feature.

I personally only need the red side so I think the green side is a bit pointless for me but DAMN if this is not THE BEST boost pedal to put in front of an amp.

Still haven't tried the OD820, Timmy or a Savage Drive along with many others but out every boost I have tried this is definitely the best in front of the amp boost for metal IMO. It seems to stack pretty well too surprisingly but I really would not need 2 boosts in front. :rock:

MetalHeadMike":1ces379g said:
Sounds like you've found one that definitely works for you. I just didn't jive with the Koko original.
Using it with a 6505+ currently and will try it with the Kemper for shits and grins. Last time it was with a Rev 2. I will say it interacted with the Rev 2 really well and almost gave a different type of grainy sound but still sounds great with the Peavey.

I have used the original Koko for a long time now and it never leaves my board. I have the Reloaded version as well that gets very close but there is something special about the original.

Many amps have come and gone and I have only found one channel on one amp that doesn't like the Koko. The OD2 on a DSL100HR. The Koko sounds amazing on OD1, Clean and Crunch but for some reason, on OD2 the low strings get an odd oscillating type of thing going on with the mid boost on the Koko kicked on. I don't use that channel anyway so not a big deal.

fek":1fw6rsqj said:
I have used the original Koko for a long time now and it never leaves my board. I have the Reloaded version as well that gets very close but there is something special about the original.

Many amps have come and gone and I have only found one channel on one amp that doesn't like the Koko. The OD2 on a DSL100HR. The Koko sounds amazing on OD1, Clean and Crunch but for some reason, on OD2 the low strings get an odd oscillating type of thing going on with the mid boost on the Koko kicked on. I don't use that channel anyway so not a big deal.

Agreed 100% Love the OG!

What's the magic about the original koko?
I had the reloaded due to pedal size but you have me curious about the original.
I never is the clean boost, so I only want thr mid boost. Seems like a pretty big pedal, since I'm only using the mids, hence why I used to own the Reloaded.

There are other mid boost pedals that are smaller I could try. The Gary Holt Boost which has adjustable mods. A modified EQ. The J Rockett Archer Rockaway EQ - I forget the name.
Im also told the Friedman Dirty Shirley makes a good mid boost as well if you set it for that. Lots more...

My Friedman Buxom is my favorite boost for tightening and altering my tone. I want another Koko for a mid boost, unless I go another route like a Xotic BB, Dire Wolf or similar OD path.

I had a Koko Reloaded not long ago and miss it so quiet and did all I wanted. Now I'm curious about the Original Koko. It's a large pedal for the little I'd use it.

Last edited:
I have the reloaded and it’s never left my board.. I really like the Q mid knob as it adjusts intensity of the mid toggle position.

What's the magic about the original koko?
I had the reloaded due to pedal size but you have me curious about the original.
I never is the clean boost, so I only want thr mid boost. Seems like a pretty big pedal, since I'm only using the mids, hence why I used to own the Reloaded.

There are other mid boost pedals that are smaller I could try. The Gary Holt Boost which has adjustable mods. A modified EQ. The J Rockett Archer Rockaway EQ - I forget the name.
Im also told the Friedman Dirty Shirley makes a good mid boost as well if you set it for that. Lots more...

My Friedman Buxom is my favorite boost for tightening and altering my tone. I want another Koko for a mid boost, unless I go another route like a Xotic BB, Dire Wolf or similar OD path.

I had a Koko Reloaded not long ago and miss it so quiet and did all I wanted. Now I'm curious about the Original Koko. It's a large pedal for the little I'd use it.
I actually bought this pedal from Maddnotez.

https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/thre...heavy-feel-free-to-put-yours-here-too.215428/
I dig it. Can't compare it to all the other stuff you've tried so I think you the best judge. I DO read that people tend to like the original over the Reloaded so if you liked the Reloaded I'm sure you like the original (except for the size) :D

I do like that it is two pedals in one / has the Mid Shift toggle / and can be set for buffered or true bypass.

Good luck,

I got to borrow a friend's or a final koko!
So far I don't notice a difference other than pedal size. That said, I don't use clean boosts, so the reloaded does me good.

I may be set with my Buxom, Koko Reloaded and Dire Wolf.

I have both...I like the OG more.

Got the Reloaded first when I had a Bias modded Block...did wonderful things for it..just awesome. Then about a year ago (after reading all the hype on the OG)..saw one for a bargain and snagged it.

Comparing the two, the Reloaded does have more gain....slightly different voicing.. more control of the mids with the Q control, and is much more space effective. I ended up replacing the Block with a Fireball 100. That amp of course needs no boost BUT..gotta say the OG does sound...let's say more organic. It is soooo fucking awesome with the Fball. The Reloaded just doesn't gel quite the same with the Fball. It is almost like they adjusted the voicing a touch too nasally. OG sounds a little less compressed. I was surprised by how natural and transparent it sounds. Reloaded isn't bad by any means, but if you can get your hands on OG, do it.

Love my OG Koko! My #1 boost for years.

I use the green side after a SD1 going into a 2203 for leads. That is it's strong point for me. Otherwise, the mid boost side is my go to.

Back