BEWARE OF SIMS CUSTOM GUITARS!

PDC

Title of the thread says it all. BEWAR OF SIMS CUSTOM GUITARS!

I started a custom build a year ago and wanted a professional finish. I real all the reviews on line and Pat Sims, Sims Custom Guitars https://www.simscustomshop.com/guitars-parts-for-sale/sims-custom-shop-guitars/ Was at the top of the list. The work this guy does is nothing short of amazing Reviews were positive and said ‘just be patient.’

I emailed with Pat a year ago last October and he replied very promptly. We mapped out exactly what I wanted and he quoted a price just over $700.00. We even talked on the phone a couple of times. Pat said it would be 3 months to get the job done. I paid in full last October and the guitar body was delivered on November 3 a year ago. I have confirmation of delivery and Pat himself acknowledged delivery.

By February of this year, having not heard from him, I reached out to see how the project was coming. He said it was ‘almost ready to ship.’ Weeks went by. No guitar. No communication. I reached out again. He said it was ‘almost done and would ship soon.’ Weeks went by. No guitar. No communication. I reached out again. No reply. I reached out again. No reply. I filed a BBB complaint against him. He never replied. His FB Page (here: https://www.facebook.com/SimsCustomShopGuitars) Shows beautiful guitars going out every day to their excited owners. I have FB Messaged him over and over. No reply.

I have sent messages asking, begging, DEMANDING, that he just send the (probably bare wood) body to me and keep the goddam $700.00 he stole for the paint job. I’m ready to just bathe the body in Butcher Block Oil and play the dam thing. Of course, he has not replied.

This dude is a straight up THIEF. YES - the work he does is beautiful. But he is a THIEF! Deal with this guy at your own peril. I’m out close to a grand between the cost of the body and the paint job. I will survive. That doesn’t make it O.K.

Damn,this guy is a pretty famous guitar painter.
Was gonna use him once,but went with Dan Lawrence instead.
Emailed Sims about 2 months ago about paint project and never heard back.
Thanks for the heads up.

A second on the history of poor business practices… Marty Bell or Lee Garver are the only custom guitar paint shops that actually meet a deadline.

I would add JR Guitarworks to that list. I'm getting the body back a month ahead of time

cdZXvc3.jpg

I remember hearing about this guy a long time ago, maybe even the HC days? He lost/sold a bunch of guitars..a simple google search tells a nightmare tale.

This guy has a history of poor business practices that is well documented on line that stretches probably a decade now.

Is this the guy that had the YouTube channel that said he had heart problems and screwed a bunch a people out of money and said "oh well"?

Never mind, that was Will Gelvin of Will's Easy Guitars. He's still taking people's money without remorse. In his latest video he's calming more health problems and asking people for money because he's on disability.

Last edited:
Is this the guy that had the YouTube channel that said he had heart problems and screwed a bunch a people out of money and said "oh well"?

Never mind, that was Will Gelvin of Will's Easy Guitars. He's still taking people's money without remorse. In his latest video he's calming more health problems and asking people for money because he's on disability.

I was interested in his work, but so many of his videos are of him fighting "trolls" and complaining of ailments. That seems like more of a full-time job than his builds and repairs.

I was interested in his work, but so many of his videos are of him fighting "trolls" and complaining of ailments. That seems like more of a full-time job than his builds and repairs.

He took a lot of money and guitars from a lot of people

A lot of this stories in the guitar world. Had bad experiences too... seem people can't keep their words anymore, or they are too greed from the start.

A lot of this stories in the guitar world. Had bad experiences too... seem people can't keep their words anymore, or they are too greed from the start.

People all want to make money and there's nothing wrong with that, but people like this Sims fucktard just want the money part without having to do the work part.

Reactions: PDC
Nobody really changes. Why do you guys keep going back to these vendors that fucked so many ppl over previously? I don't get it. Keeps happening time and time again.

People all want to make money and there's nothing wrong with that, but people like this Sims fucktard just want the money part without having to do the work part.

All this problems are only caused by the "pay in advance" or "deposit", without paypal (or similar).

Nobody really changes. Why do you guys keep going back to these vendors that fucked so many ppl over previously? I don't get it. Keeps happening time and time again.
Some people just aren't aware of it. When you go online and see a guy doing quality work, and has good reviews...sometimes you don't see the bad ones until you start digging. And they come out of the woodwork.

Reactions: PDC
Lots of history on this operation.....I thought this was a serious necro-bump on a super old thread at first.

Back