Latest Reverb Jackass - Need to lower my price because...

napalmdeath

After consideration, I decided to list my Laney GH50L on Reverb. The Fireball 25 just checks all the boxes, and the Laney is just too loud for where I'll be moving to.

All things considered, I listed it at $799. It's a 2006, and very near mint condition. Might be on the high side for these, but, it's the only one listed in the United States on Reverb, and they're getting rarer to find.

So, this jackass tells me he can get one shipped from Japan cheaper, (it's not as clean, and I don't know what year it is, which I'll detail here in a bit). It's $508 plus like $166 shipping, but the dumbass doesn't realize there's tax too, which makes it about $725..

He then proceeds to tell me I need to lower the price because the amp needs recapped? WTF? He said it's a must for a 15 year old amp, which I call bullshit. He's making shit up to justify a big price-drop. Now, I'm no expert, but I've owned Laneys from the 90's that sounded phenomenal. Many others 15-20 years' old. This one is 100% functional and is a total beast. I retubed it, biased it, cleaned the pots, tube sockets, and even tightened up the spring retainers when I got it. All of which, it didn't even really need.

Then, the guy got pissy with me, called me an idiot for disagreeing with him, so I lowered the price $50, and had him blocked from messaging or buying. What a douchebag.. His feedback? 2.. Mine? 302. I understand it's 15 years old, but where's he come off telling me it needs recapped?
joe-biden.gif

Last edited:
Even 50-60 yr old amps don’t necessarily need it; even though many will tell you it HAS to happen lol. If there are no bulges, and the amp sounds healthy the caps are fine. Usually means it was played regularly during its lifetime. My 72 has the og Daly’s and it rips my face off and knocks pics off the wall when I open it up a bit. Techs will say “no matter what they HAVE to be replaced!” No.
If it ain’t broke….

that’s ridiculous. I have a 30 year old block letter 5150 that is still capable of absolute brutality and it hasn’t been touched on the inside aside from a choke install.

Even 50-60 yr old amps don’t necessarily need it; even though many will tell you it HAS to happen lol. If there are no bulges, and the amp sounds healthy the caps are fine. Usually means it was played regularly during its lifetime. My 72 has the og Daly’s and it rips my face off and knocks pics off the wall when I open it up a bit. Techs will say “no matter what they HAVE to be replaced!” No.
If it ain’t broke….
This one's healthy, trust me. It makes your pants flap on 2.

I mean, look how clean it is... No rust, corrosion, not even a piece of lint. I even had a custom nameplate made from a guy in Europe on Etsy. This amp's clean, and mean. A beast! Probably good for another 15 years! Like I said, all things considered, I don't see $799 to be out of line, if people know anything about these. Hell, I sold my Smallbox when I got it!
20211104_173437.jpg
20211104_093134.jpg

Even if you were asking a stupid price (which judging by the condition of the amp you are not) its really stupid to argue about it.

I had some medical bills pop up unexpectedly so I listed my QC. I included a case, and expression pedal and priced it cheaper than the cheapest on reverb without the case and expression pedal(it was about 50 bucks less than what I paid admittedly)I even specified that the only reason I was selling it was for medical bills instead of a gofundme bs. I priced it on the high side with the assumption of people asking what my lowest price is. 2 jerkoffs posted links to Sweetwater on my ad (which they weren't in stock) to try to basically shit on my sale. I got really pissed cause I was really worried about money and my health and it seemed really petty to try to sabotage my sale when there was literally nothing in it for them to do so.

Long story short people have their reasons for the price they are asking. If you are interested make an offer, if they don't accept move on but definitely stfu if you had no intention of buying at any price. Who needs the price police? Everyone has access to Google to shop around.

Thankfully I had something work out where I got to keep my QC. But that changed my whole perspective on commenting on ads. Buy it or don't no need in making a deal unpleasant

Also I would much rather buy something that shipped from the u.s. in pristine condition for a little more than deal with shipping , customs, and language barriers.

If it ain’t broke….
Kinda what I told him. He's either stupid, or has a tech that's misinformed or trying to take his money, through B.S. Maybe he's a used car salesman and part time tech.

I've even owned a stock '87 2205 I bought, did basic cleaning/PM, retubed with SED's, and it was a fire-breather through my G-Flex cab I had at the time. I Got on TGP, and that guy just played it until I did. From what I gather, it's when they sit in a closet 20 years with no use you have some things to be aware of.

How much are filter caps for that amp, $40-50? I could understand that rationale if it was some old 100 watter but there are a million better ways to negotiate than that.

How much are filter caps for that amp, $40-50? I could understand that rationale if it was some old 100 watter but there are a million better ways to negotiate than that.
I'm telling you. He never asked to negotiate, never the old "Is that the best price you can do"? No. Had to take the obnoxious douche route.

Even if you were asking a stupid price (which judging by the condition of the amp you are not) its really stupid to argue about it.

I had some medical bills pop up unexpectedly so I listed my QC. I included a case, and expression pedal and priced it cheaper than the cheapest on reverb without the case and expression pedal(it was about 50 bucks less than what I paid admittedly)I even specified that the only reason I was selling it was for medical bills instead of a gofundme bs. I priced it on the high side with the assumption of people asking what my lowest price is. 2 jerkoffs posted links to Sweetwater on my ad (which they weren't in stock) to try to basically shit on my sale. I got really pissed cause I was really worried about money and my health and it seemed really petty to try to sabotage my sale when there was literally nothing in it for them to do so.

Long story short people have their reasons for the price they are asking. If you are interested make an offer, if they don't accept move on but definitely stfu if you had no intention of buying at any price. Who needs the price police? Everyone has access to Google to shop around.

Thankfully I had something work out where I got to keep my QC. But that changed my whole perspective on commenting on ads. Buy it or don't no need in making a deal unpleasant
I'm on the fence as it is. Sorry to hear about your money troubles too, even if its in the past. Fortunately, I don't need the money. And dealing with a total creep after listing it might be telling me, "don't sell it, stupid". It's still one hell of an amp, and it's one amp I've enjoyed the hell out of, evertime I've owned one, (my 4th time having one). It's pretty blissful when you get to crank it!

I'm telling you. He never asked to negotiate, never the old "Is that the best price you can do"? No. Had to take the obnoxious douche route.
I remember a few yrs back when I sold the HRG C++ on Reverb; I had it up for 3200 shipped and this clown asked if that was my best price...I said yes...he said "but I can buy a new amp for that! Why would I pay that for a old used amp?" At first I thought, is it April 1st? Lol...nope just kept on with his retarded banter...clown.

I don't know anything about the pricing of these or caps or whatever. My short answer would be, "glad you are able to get one cheaper somewhere else, enjoy it!"

Back