Overdrives!!! The rabbit hole lol

dstroud

So I’ve used a Boss SD-1 for a long time and I think they are killer with my Marshall style amps. Pulled out the Maxon OD-820 the other day and man that thing sounds good! Might be my new go to. Ordered a Tumnus to try out, dang I’m going down the rabbit hole lol

So I’ve used a Boss SD-1 for a long time and I think they are killer with my Marshall style amps. Pulled out the Maxon OD-820 the other day and man that thing sounds good! Might be my new go to. Ordered a Tumnus to try out, dang I’m going down the rabbit hole lol
Timmy is my fav to push a crunchy Marshall, more so than my Klone. SUF Cherry Bomb treble booster is up there, very nasty in a good way.

I fall for this all the time...the SD-1 comes off the board because I get excited for a new OD and think I've "found the one".

And eventually the SD-1 goes back. Every. Single. Time. It's on there now. I have a box of probably 20 really nice OD's. And I still get tempted to buy another, though I'm getting "slightly" better at resisting the temptation.

Timmy is my fav to push a crunchy Marshall, more so than my Klone. SUF Cherry Bomb treble booster is up there, very nasty in a good way.
dang Ive never tried a Timmy. Didnt know Steve had a treble booster, will have to check that out!!

I fall for this all the time...the SD-1 comes off the board because I get excited for a new OD and think I've "found the one".

And eventually the SD-1 goes back. Every. Single. Time. It's on there now. I have a box of probably 20 really nice OD's. And I still get tempted to buy another, though I'm getting "slightly" better at resisting the temptation.
I hear you man!! I’ve avoided this for a while but fell in lol

I have been deep in that rabbit hole for years. Interesting thing that I found that works for me is that even though I have bought/sold/traded a ton of OD's over the past 5 years, I have recently started selling off even more of them and have settled on an original Koko Boost, SD1, and a TS9. Would still like to try a Klone of some type again to possibly have on hand. Didn't like the Soul Food I tried when it originally came out but that is about the only type of OD that I have not given a fair amount of time with.

I just benefitted from another case of GC “no idea WTF it is” and scored a V1 Keeley Katana Boost dirt cheap (less than current Katana mini used prices) and have to say I like it better than my Koko Boost....I also like that it’s 1/2 the size of the V1 Koko Boost. I’ve kinda seen the light with the whole boost idea, scored an MXR Micro Amp Plus from same GC for a similiar mis-priced bargain but I’m only using that in the loop for a volume boost when needed, haven’t tried in the front end of an amp yet...

Last edited:
This is the strangest boost and eq ever . But it’s got some magic for boosting

Attachments

• 436802DF-16A0-4B37-982C-E8F6574460E1.jpeg
    436802DF-16A0-4B37-982C-E8F6574460E1.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 42
This is why I try to stick with classic stuff. If I chased down every "new" variation on an overdrive pedal or pickup or amp etc, I'd go insane. But I get that some folks enjoy it.

Some of the best shit on records back in the day was made with basic run of the mill pedals. For things like flangers, overdrives, wahs, etc. in the front end, I keep it simple and use what my favourite artists did back in the day. They wrote iconic music on straight simple shit. I don’t need anything else. I keep the creative custom stuff to post processing effects like delay and reverb.

My go to overdrive is a $50 SD-1 and I goose it with 12V instead of 9V. If you do this make sure there’s a shunt 11V zener diode to ground which clips it to 11V. Does what I want and sounds good. Running it on a higher voltage just gives you more of what’s already there and decreases the drive level so you can crank it more to get more gain without headroom issues or compression.

I also have an 86 SD1, great boost and will never leave. I also have an OD1X and it’s my main boost….I’ve had VFE, Thorpy, Cusack, Maxon, Wizard, Savage Drive, GE10, plus more I forget and yet the OD stays. I do have my eye on the Dino boost and that will be on the way soon.
But the plain ole Boss pedals just sound right to me.

I have really been wanting to try a VFE Standout, it's really the only pedal I even want to try. I have been using an old Boss Blues Driver for like 15 years.
The Standout works well for what it does, and is very flexible. But to my ear it just wasn't as sweet sounding or musical as a typical OD pedal (like the SD-1 or OD808). But it is neat and a great concept.

The Standout works well for what it does, and is very flexible. But to my ear it just wasn't as sweet sounding or musical as a typical OD pedal (like the SD-1 or OD808). But it is neat and a great concept.
Agreed. It was a cool pedal, but I liked some of my rack PQ’s better and imo the Dino pedal also does better for tightness and stuff like that

Back