Friedman Vintage Amp Line

drneely

Hey Dave, curious if you can share much about the vintage line of amps you’ve mentioned on the Tone Talk show a few times? Seems like I remember a Vox style, maybe a single channel 50 watt and 100 watt plexi style as well? Would price points be lower than the multi channel heads? Still similar construction/build styles? Master volumes?

Would love to hear anything you can share. Would be very excited about the plexi style heads myself.

Thanks

Last edited:
In the latest Tone Talk, Dave said that one of this new series will be the VH replica amp, made using the same pot values and other things from that Pete Thorn video.
That would be cool. The Helios and SL68 are really the only new amps that I'm interested in. This would be another.

I wonder if it will have a loop? I assume not but since that is so important to most it would be a deal killer for many.

Cant to a do in a non master amp that works right.. The power section just saturates the effects.. No loops sorry
That's kind of what I thought. Not an issue for me.

FWIW, there are some of us that are "full 4700-5000pF bright cap or no cap"...the ones in between are kind of the worst of both worlds. So the option for that big ass bright cap would be nice.

Has there been any updates or news on Dave's VH and or vintage amps?
Not that I'm aware of. A few months ago on Tone Talk he said they're in active development.

Everything is just taking a really long time right now. I'm going up on 2 years on the list for a new Naked.

It's not just Dave, though. I had contacted Naylor a few months ago about a new Super Drive and he quoted me 21 months with a likelihood of being closer to 24 months. I have an Obsidian coming tomorrow that was promised late August delivery because the parts were already sourced and it's coming late January. I have a Fender Custom Shop guitar that I ordered in November and it's slated for an early 2024 delivery.

The pandemic may be "over" but the supply chain issues persist.

Last edited:
Not that I'm aware of. A few months ago on Tone Talk he said they're in active development.

Everything is just taking a really long time right now. I'm going up on 2 years on the list for a new Naked.

It's not just Dave, though. I had contacted Naylor a few months ago about a new Super Drive and he quoted me 21 months with a likelihood of being closer to 24 months. I have an Obsidian coming tomorrow that was promised late August delivery because the parts were already sourced and it's coming late January. I have a Fender Custom Shop guitar that I ordered in November and it's slated for an early 2024 delivery.

The pandemic may be "over" but the supply chain issues persist.
I'm not surprised to see that your Obsidian is way later than promised. That seems to be the Omega way unfortunately. My Omega stuff, besides my cab since it was already built has taken way longer than I was originally quoted. Good thing they make amazing stuff and it's worth the wait.

They opened up a small run of Obsidians yesterday, promising late February delivery since they sourced more parts already. I'll believe that when I see it.

I feel like Dave is the guy to do this circuit justice. Stoked to hear clips. And I'm pretty sure I'll be all over the AC30, that's something I don't currently have covered in my arsenal.

Last I heard was him saying the new line will probably come out early 2024. I was hoping it'd be this year.

Back