Wizard Amp Models

I've sold every amp I've ever owned with the exception of 6. Wizards, Camerons, Diezels, Bogners, Engls, Soldanos, Riveras, Mesas, Fryettes, KSRs, Revvs, Barons, Fortins, Ceritones, Kashas, EVHs, Peaveys, Splanws, you name it...they all get sold eventually. Just because somebody sells something doesn't mean anything. :sneaky:

Spot on. I've definitely sold a few amps immediately that I did not bond with, but the dozens and dozens I've sold outside the few duds we're sold for various other reasons and had nothing to do with being unhappy with a particular amp. Several reasons folks sell, even their favorite amps, include...GAS, guilt tripping oneself, or financial issues.

Last edited:
Spot on. I've definitely sold a few amps immediately that I did not bond with, but the dozens and dozens I've sold outside the few duds we're sold for various other reasons and had nothing to do with being unhappy with a particular amp. Many reasons folks sell, even their favorite amps, and the leading causes are likely...GAS, guilt tripping oneself, or financial issues.
Or,
Your wife sees $175,000 worth of gear in your basement, while you’re telling her ‘we can’t afford a pool, honey’ 😂

Spot on. I've definitely sold a few amps immediately that I did not bond with, but the dozens and dozens I've sold outside the few duds we're sold for various other reasons and had nothing to do with being unhappy with a particular amp. Many reasons folks sell, even their favorite amps, and the leading causes are likely...GAS, guilt tripping oneself, or financial issues.
I miss an incredible mk4 boogie I sold . Fuvking dumb me

I was scouring MTL clips and pretty much all are chugging/doom type stuff (except a recent one on here)…

It really can have a sweetspot outside of that genre?

I don't think you can go wrong with ANY Wizard tbh, even the older 90's and MC I's. They are all amazing build quality and sound. It is just as time has gone on these models have evolved with maybe more features "contour knob, boost for lead ch" or "sweep knob" etc.

I'll sing the praises of the "pea shooter" sized MC25 until the very end. What a phenom amp. I've had one 4 1/2 years played extensively and gigged regularly. Got an updated version last week and its freaking nuts. Ton o' balls packed into a small, very club friendly package. I'll end up with an MCII 50 eventually but right now in real World use it keeps up fine with a loud as fuck drummer and bass player. Playing any outdoor stages yeah, I want some more power, but as it is I don't get even close to being able to run it wide open in any indoor venue. A Power Station to ramp up the power into a 4x12 would be a viable option outdoors, but the sound of this amp is so good it makes it hard to even consider needing anything else. I recently discovered the value of clean boost pedals into the front end of this amp after years of just plugging straight in and can say its opened up a whole nuther' realm of available tone.

Repeating what's already been said you can't go wrong with any of these amps.

So question for you guys
I have a Mcii that Rick did for me. I love it. He met my specifications at that time.

If I want to keep the crunch and grind in the mids keep the harmonic over tones

But I want more clear big bottom end booty

And more air (not treble)

Note im boosting with an Apex custom Maxon

Which model do I get next ?

So question for you guys
I have a Mcii that Rick did for me. I love it. He met my specifications at that time.

If I want to keep the crunch and grind in the mids keep the harmonic over tones

But I want more clear big bottom end booty

And more air (not treble)

Note im boosting with an Apex custom Maxon

Which model do I get next ?

I'd say a KT-150 Hybrid and have him keep the depth knob instead of adding the contour knob.

And what is hybrid ?
It's an MTL preamp with an MC2 power amp. Built on the MTL platform. Has the high-mid grind of the MC2 but the gain an saturation of the MTL.

I have an el34 version (with contour) and it has the bottom end more like the MC2. I think adding KT88s and the depth knob instead will give it more of the bottom end you are looking for...like what an MTL has. I had a KT88 MC2 and that would work as well, but the Hybrid would give you something a little more different

It's an MTL preamp with an MC2 power amp. Built on the MTL platform. Has the high-mid grind of the MC2 but the gain an saturation of the MTL.

I have an el34 version (with contour) and it has the bottom end more like the MC2. I think adding KT88s and the depth knob instead will give it more of the bottom end you are looking for...like what an MTL has. I had a KT88 MC2 and that would work as well, but the Hybrid would give you something a little more different

I thought the Hybrid would have the MTL preamp and knobs, which would have meant Saturation and Depth by default - is that not the way it works?

I thought the Hybrid would have the MTL preamp and knobs, which would have meant Saturation and Depth by default - is that not the way it works?

Yes. It is basically an MTL but the power amp is voiced like an MC2 and the depth knob is changed to a contour control (since it's a power amp control and that's what the MC2 has). So what I'm saying is tell him to leave it as a depth control. You can either have a contour or a depth, not both.

Back