Mesa boogie relocating?

So I recently heard that out in the factory in Petaluma they have been throwing out a lot of their inventory. Chokes transformers pilot lights handles all kinds of things. Also half of their staff have walked out.? There are rumblings of them having a small office for designing in Nashville and amps being built overseas. I'm a huge Mesa fan my first guitar amp was a three channel dual rectifier from 2003. I hope they aren't going to kill the brand possibly. Have you guys heard anything any thoughts and opinions?
Where’d you hear this?

Big name builders with huge production facilities won't make it. Too much overhead. Remember when OCC moved into that huge structure, only to fail due to a drop in demand? Most people don't give two fucks about playing electric guitar. It's a bygone interest, as is the music that perpetuated it. If MESA/Boogie wants to profit, they need to stop building amplifiers, and begin marketing Boogie brand turntables, headphones and drum machines. Small boutique builders should be okay.

Big name builders with huge production facilities won't make it. Too much overhead. Remember when OCC moved into that huge structure, only to fail due to a drop in demand? Most people don't give two fucks about playing electric guitar. It's a bygone interest, as is the music that perpetuated it. If MESA/Boogie wants to profit, they need to stop building amplifiers, and begin marketing Boogie brand turntables, headphones and drum machines. Small boutique builders should be okay.
I guess you missed the part about selling more amps and higher demand for new Boogie amps than ever before.

I know someone who works near there so it's a friend of a friend thing but he has no reason to lie

Last edited:
I highly doubt RS would move to the south..
People from Northern CA are lifers..
The dude might want to retire sometime in his life..

Listen... I hope legacy builders can survive the assault. As far as I can tell, rock/metal is no longer being promoted. There's a lot of talent out there along with some cool original music. I'm in a major metropolitan area, and there's not a single live venue anywhere. Dozens of EDM joints, no rock at all. How can younger people get inspired by instrumentation without promotion?

Last edited:

I called Mesa and asked them about this. They suspended orders earlier this year because 2020 was their best year in the history of the company, and 2021 has been no different. They paused new orders because their production capacity is literally topped out.

They didn't stop producing orders. They stopped taking new ones. Again, because as of around June, their production could not handle any more demand for the year.

Last edited:
I called Mesa and asked them about this. They suspended orders earlier this year because 2020 was their best year in the history of the company, and 2021 has been no different. They paused new orders because their production capacity is literally topped out.

They didn't stop producing orders. They stopped taking new ones. Agains, because as of around June, their production could not handle any more demand for the year.
1*GMEXYPwWGHPUq9ejwl4U8g.png

Because of supply chain issues or lack there-of.
Yaw'll know Gibson's going to F it up, they F up everything mostly by getting into area's that don't involve guitars.
Despite what Agnesi claims anyone who's been around know's Boogie is dead for all intents & purposes.

Last edited:
Because of supply chain issues or lack there-of.

No, that is incorrect.

They are producing at maximum capacity. All of their people are working full shifts at full capacity. They have the parts supply to make their stuff. What they don't have is more people and production lines. Mesa is not a large company, they never have been. They have literally taken as many orders for products as their company is tooled to supply for 2021. Demand for Mesa products has been so high lately that their entire yearly production capacity was spoken for before this year was even half over.

No, that is incorrect.

They are producing at maximum capacity. All of their people are working full shifts at full capacity. They have the parts supply to make their stuff. What they don't have is more people and production lines. Mesa is not a large company, they never have been. They have literally taken as many orders for products as their company is tooled to supply for 2021. Demand for Mesa products has been so high lately that their entire yearly production capacity was spoken for before this year was even half over.

No, that is incorrect.

3395c298-ad54-4831-8e13-b7012040578d_text.gif

Umm call Metro George and ask him why he had to take a job delivering steel because he can't get any parts to build amps.
Magnetic Components biggest transformer customer was Mesa and MC went titz up.
Dude supply chain issues are effecting everything & everyone on the planet thanks to trumps 4 year imaginary trade war with jina./word.
Cuz like it or not 90% of the planet is MIC.
Tried to buy a new car lately ? There are none. My Aldi's has not had lunchmeat in 2 months.
uh the list goes on.

Last edited:
Umm call Metro George and ask him why he had to take a job delivering steel because he can't get any parts to build amps.
Dude supply chain issues are effecting everything & everyone on the planet thanks to trumps 4 year imaginary trade war with jina./word.
Tried to buy a new car lately ? There are none. My Aldi's has not had lunchmeat in 2 months.

uh the list goes on.

Supply chain issues are affecting everybody thanks to Trump's war with jina and his catastrophic incompetence at handling the corona virus which has led to three quarters of a million US citizens dead, many of whom were supply chain workers, and displaced a ton of our workforce, thankyouverymuch. :)

As for what I'm talking about... I'm relaying what Chris at Mesa Boogie told me personally over the phone. He told be they weren't having supply issues. Also, when I spoke to him I made it clear that I'd already bought everything I was going to buy from them so he had no reason to reassure me about their stock or anything like that.

An investment firm owns Gibson and with it Mesa boogie.

Here’s their portfolio:

https://www.kkr.com/businesses/private-equity/kkr-portfolio
Before Gibson filed for bankruptcy they did purchase and run a lot of businesses into the ground. They marketed the name of Gibson and not the guitar quality that built the reputation. These days things are much better post bankruptcy and quality has never been better.

I’m glad Mesa is doing great but Metropoulos is struggling because he doesn’t have the demand Mesa does and caters to a much smaller audience. He’s extremely talented at designing amps but awful at running a business, expansion, and diversification. I wish he could pull out of this but many small businesses that didn’t have enough in savings or a way to diversify couldn’t survive COVID. Now you have a shortage of goods and high demand which drives prices higher, combined with shipping container shortages, making the problem worse. You’re either doing extremely well or you’re barely surviving - there is no in between.

3395c298-ad54-4831-8e13-b7012040578d_text.gif

Magnetic Components biggest transformer customer was Mesa and MC went titz up.
uh the list goes on.

Can you please tell us what parts in a guitar amp like a Mesa or a Metro come from China? I've been buying parts to build amps for years and not a single component has come from China as far as I know. At least none of the companies are Chinese. Maybe the parts are manufactured there though? But most of the companies making passive components are American or Japanese. Vishay, Samsung, Panasonic, CDE, Illinois, Sprague, Dale, Nichicon, Xicon (not a Chinese company), etc. But maybe the physical manufacturing is done in China? Do you have any details?

Back