Really long songs....yay or nay?

Do you like really long songs?

• Yes I love them. They are always epic and interesting

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I can dig them but it depends on the particular song

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • They're always boring and "Oooh look at me I can write a 20 min song Herr derr".

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
256353687_1734516650081758_1037064104017264924_n.jpg
That would be hell lol

If it stay interesting the whole way through, then it's cool. Like some Pink Floyd stuff. "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" is a great example. Most long songs tend to be best around the 7 to 8 minute mark though.

I love Rush. The thing about those old long songs is they're really a set of 3-5 minute songs stitched together to make the longer song. They could as easily be the typical side of an album with different songs, just a lyrical theme. They hold my attention. A lot of the more true-prog groups tend to lose my interest. In theory, I should probably like them, but just the combination of everything doesn't really work to keep me invested.

my band had an 18 min song, a 7 minute song, and then we were working on a 25 minute thing before we kinda went on hiatus. the last one lined up with the final scene in Clint Eastwood's The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, and we were really excited about it, but it just never got finished. we just liked longer songs. probably cuz we were crappy songwritters, but we were also really influenced by rush and metallica who pretty regularly had some longer songs.

The best thing about extra long songs is finding time to get the blunt stogie out of your pedalboard's joint butt tin box.

Shpongle has many great songs that are long, but they are ever-changing, full of all kinds of cool stuff to tickle your ear holes and make your brain happy.
I love listening to them when I run.

Really depends on the band/song.

Over the last few years I’ve gotten into a lot of atmospheric black metal and lots of that shit can be 10+ minutes.

It’s great music for doing editing or design work

Over the last few years I’ve gotten into a lot of atmospheric black metal and lots of that shit can be 10+ minutes.

It’s great music for doing editing or design work
I’m intrigued by this. Can you give me a listening recommendation?

Back