CRUNCH amp shootout

• Thread starter Deleted member 27494
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27494

Hey all,

I made a little comparison of 6 amps to see how they compare when it comes to crunch sounds. So mid gain rock ('n roll) crunch tones basically with my Gibson Les Paul classic. The concept is simple :)

The amps that I featured are:
-Marshall SC20H
-Orange Dual Terror
-Friedman JJ JR
-Wangs 1987HW
-EVH 5150III EL34 50W
-Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister Deluxe 40

I didn't want to feature multiple amps from the same brand and also no amps that were directly modeled after eachother. I think they all do their own thing pretty well tbh so it's not easy to pick a favorite for me. Lol. Ironic but I do own them all. It's just always fun to do these shootouts really.

So which one do you like the best here? I'm expecting a lot of different opinions..

Crunch is such an in the room thing. Ive heard so many amp demos where it sounds decent recorded but crappy once you get it in the room. Harsh or no balls is really common. I feel most high gainers have a sweet spot much higher than crunch. Also it seems like crunch needs a lot higher volume to have any balls but then its awesome ala AC DC.

IR M25 pack took away all the "hearing hangover" I was getting on the comparison track towards the 19:00 mark on the video.
That makes it a hard sell for me to choose between a lot of them
Well done and thanks for taking the time to do this.

Great comparison and great quality video. I’m always thankful to hear the isolated tracks. Per usual all are very similar, especially in the mix. Any differences could have likely been normalized with a couple knob turns and/or IR tweak.

Back