Ltd Hetfield Snakebyte...Indonesia shocker

Glenn is talking about the amplified sound here, not the acoustic sound of the instrument which is ofc affected by the wood. Plus Glenn doesn't process the guitar tracks usually. Instead he tries to get it right at the source.

The fact that acoustically different wood types offer different resonance and sound when played without an amp probably affects the way how amplified sounds are heard, hence the psychoacoustic effect.

On acoustic guitars for example, wood plays a huge role as it play in speaker cabinets.

Except…. He doesn’t ever get it right at the source. Hence the fact, no one wants a record mixed by him.

Did you test those two bodies with the exact same strings, pickups, hardware, neck etc. Or did you use two different guitars which have same specs on a paper?

There's a huge difference in how pickups affect the sound vs wood. Also recording it and comparing tracks with different body woods blindly gets rid of the confirmation bias that a lot of people have when it comes to tonewood.

Like I specified in my post, everything was the same, only difference was the body wood. The difference in tone and feel was very noticeable.

Like I specified in my post, everything was the same, only difference was the body wood. The difference in tone and feel was very noticeable.
Or maybe it was the feel and knowing that it's a different body what caused you to think that the tone was different = psychoacoustic effect.
I just checked with Ola & Fluff, they said Fricker is a reliable tone source. Peer Reviewed
He basically eliminated every variable in that test one possibly can so i don't get the whole source argument?

Or maybe it was the feel and knowing that it's a different body what caused you to think that the tone was different = psychoacoustic effect.

He basically eliminated every variable in that test one possibly can so i don't get the whole source argument?
I'm just yanking your chain. I like a lot of Fricker's vids, you just need to be in the right mood for his screaming. I get that people blast him though

Drop a few names? Names about what? Go ask anyone remotely successful in the heavier genre of music. If you’ve been around here even alittle I’m sure you’ve seen me or others mention one or two of those guys happens to be one of my closest friends in the world, so I’m well aware, as I’m sure others that also have connections or know people decently well in the audio world are as well, what the PROFESSIONAL audio world thinks of this hack. Or what the pro audio world thinks of these youtubers who give out “advice” on how to do things or what is important and what’s not. Just because you personally aren’t aware of what others think about glenn fricker and the like, doesn’t mean the attitude of professional engineers and producers towards glenn fricker etc doesn’t exist. But this right here, is exactly what I hate to see. People see a youtuber who has a big following and automatically regurgitate what they say and take it as gospel. I’m not saying that’s what you are doing, but I am for sure saying that’s what the younger generation of new musicians and audio engineers are doing. Never in my life have I seen an industry that puts so much emphasis on what people say, who literally don’t do what they are trying to teach for a living or on a professional level. What has glenn mixed? What has he worked on? Has he done any of your favorite mixes? Has he done a legitimate major label production EVER? Is the line to work with him wrapped around the building? No? So why should I care what he thinks about anything in the pro audio world? It would be one thing if he just showed how stuff works, or gave gear reviews etc, but he goes much much farther than that. Telling people what’s important and what’s not when it comes to producing music, is not his specialty in the least.

The problem is the social media medium has put guys like glenn fricker on the same level as say, bob rock or Andy sneap. You have major major access to a wealth of information these days, and that’s great! No doubt about it. The problem is when you see glenn fricker has 400,000 subscribers to his page, so SURELY he MUST know what he’s talking about, RIGHT? Because that Andy sneap guy and bob rock guy doesn’t even have a YouTube page or whatever, so forget whatever they say!

Jim Morris. That's a legend here in Florida, and around the world.

Andy Sneap. Another legend. And he definitely knows what factors into good, heavy tone.. A magician.

Jim Morris. That's a legend here in Florida, and around the world.

Andy Sneap. Another legend. And he definitely knows what factors into good, heavy tone.. A magician.
Ok. Have Jim Morris or Andy Sneap ever laughed at or bad-mouthed Glenn?

Deathcore guitar tone cork-sniffers :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Get a seven-string guitar and play the top two strings through a Fractal Audio profile. More noise, more deathcore.

That genre all sounds the same to me. The festivals I attend, the Deathcore rigs are mostly Kempers.

Last edited:
Deathcore guitar tone cork-sniffers :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Get a seven-string guitar and play the top two strings through a Fractal Audio profile. More noise, more deathcore.

That genre all sounds the same to me. The festivals I attend, the Deathcore rigs are mostly Kempers.
Can agree on this one. That sound just lacks the impact and balls that a real tube amp + cab has. Also stacks on stage look badass.

I can assure you Andy has….
Wasn't Glenn actually part of the Andy Sneap forum back in 2000s?

Have You those Snakebytes side by side ? Or any of those Japan vs Korea/Indo ESP’s ? I do and doesn’t care less what some annoying self apointment expert said. Those sound samples in his comparison sound bad and guy who play those never heard of metronome or rhythm 😀
There are even guys who test guitars and gear thru VST plugins or on low volume on shitty gear. Those are the exact situations where ‘They all sound the same’ are born. Ignorance is a bliss I suppose 😀

Glenn has quests playing on that video and he or i never claimed that woods feel different to play. It's the amplified sound that stays consistent.
That’s because Glenn uses so much gain, everything he records is going to sound very, very similar. That kind of music he records doesn’t lend itself to the nuances of guitar tone. It’s balls to the wall, wall of sound high gain metal tone. When you play with that much gain and use those recording techniques, the tone wood will matter less because it’s buried behind all the gain. Glen is the same as Ola. Both get very good high gain “brutal chug” tones, and they ALL sound the same. Glen’s sound the same. Ola’s sound the same. No matter what they’re using.

For electric guitars, when you’re playing with distortion, I think pickup choice (obviously) and scale length (not so obvious) affect the tone more than the wood the guitar is made of. Acoustic guitars are a different story. Tone woods are evident, at least to my ears. I believe I can hear the difference between scalloped and unscalloped bracing. (Been listening to a lot of acoustics lately. About to buy one.)

The $1400 is the Hetfield retirement fund.
FWIW Indonesia & Fender Mexico make some pretty kick-but guitars these days.

Last edited:
Tonewood still doesn't exist. 😚
Maybe you've never played a decent guitar. This is the only conclusion I can come to, with this statement. If you don't think the wood matters, your guitars all must be made of plywood.
Sorry for your choice in gear...my recommendation would be to save up some of your hard earned money and buy something decent.
Either that, or you have some shit ears.

Anyone who says different woods don't effect tone...I have to just suspect they have very little experience playing guitar.

You know why Glenn is irrelevant in the audio world and will never ever make a living at this? Because he thinks tonewoods, conversion, and tubes don’t matter. Is that the engineer you want producing your records? Me neither, and neither does any band with a label level budget for recording their album. Glenn realized long ago he will never be as good as his “friends” on the sneap forum back in the day, so he’s made his niche in yelling at his camera for YouTube. More power to him, we all gotta make a living. But his advice on many things is laughable. There’s nothing to debate here: the guy doesn’t make real records, and nobody is dying to have records made by him. It’s really that simple. He has no clout to back anything he preaches , nor any real credentials. So stop it. There’s literally not a damn thing you can say to counter that.

All I know is that the Hetfield snakebyte is fucking ugly.
I mean ugly like the new Dean Kerry King.
If the snakebyte and Dean KK had a baby,it would be the Wangcaster.

Back