New Exodus cd is great!!

Not digging this tone. Sounds so pinched and nasal. A consequence of over-boosting? I guess it is since its two boost pedals into a Jubilee (+ even more diode clipping in the amp). Where's the fat, meaty, crunch of Force of Habit or even Tempo of the Damned? I believe I read Holt has (had?) THREE Langner JCM800s, amps that didn't need ANY pedals in front (his own words). Surely they could be serviced and provide a better tone than this...

Not digging this tone. Sounds so pinched and nasal. A consequence of over-boosting? I guess it is since its two boost pedals into a Jubilee (+ even more diode clipping in the amp). Where's the fat, meaty, crunch of Force of Habit or even Tempo of the Damned? I believe I read Holt has (had?) THREE Langner JCM800s, amps that didn't need ANY pedals in front (his own words). Surely they could be serviced and provide a better tone than this.
He still boosts the Langner & F.O.H Was mostly recorded in C# if i remember correctly. Gary has been double boosting since before the Langners. When i saw them back in the day he was playing a stock JCM 800 With 2 Boss SD-1's Taped together.

Listened to it on Friday....Meh. Not for me really. I'm a thrash fan, but didn't really do much for me. I'll give it another try. on the contrary, the new OBSCURA is a fuckin clinic, and smokes! Check that out.

He still boosts the Langner & F.O.H Was mostly recorded in C# if i remember correctly. Gary has been double boosting since before the Langners. When i saw them back in the day he was playing a stock JCM 800 With 2 Boss SD-1's Taped together.
I have some old guitar magazine from around that period where he said he "threw his Overdrive pedals away" when he got the Langner mods. I've tried a Langner and it definitely doesn't need a boost. It already feels boosted, very boosted and pushed in fact. I'm so sick of static-y, white noise over boosted tones of the past 10-20 years.

I have some old guitar magazine from around that period where he said he "threw his Overdrive pedals away" when he got the Langner mods. I've tried a Langner and it definitely doesn't need a boost. It already feels boosted, very boosted and pushed in fact. I'm so sick of static-y, white noise over boosted tones of the past 10-20 years.
Yep,my clone of Gary's Langner doesn't need any boost at all. Just a gate to shut it up.

Very cool that you have that. Agreed on the gate part. Langers are somewhat difficult to tame, considering the extreme gain reserves.
Right?! It's like its right on the edge of meltdown.
And I'm only running the pre knob at just over noon or so.
Mine has a metro zero loss loop that works really good with a decimator to tame the madness.

I really want to like this album
Of course Holt has been hyping it for a long time.
By way of comparison basically ANY recent overkill release just destroys this on every level
Vocsls
Production
Writing and riffs etc
andy sneap aint sll that yo

I agree. I feel like too much Boost, The Amp Loses it's bottom end & loses it's balls. A jubilee boosted with a Tube Screamer through a 1960B Cab sounds great.

I agree. I feel like too much Boost, The Amp Loses it's bottom end & loses it's balls. A jubilee boosted with a Tube Screamer through a 1960B Cab sounds great.
I haven’t listened to it yet, but I agree when things get over boosted it goes down hill. I’ll boost an amp in a heart beat if I think it sounds better, and some amps really need it. For me when it goes too far it starts killing the feel too. It starts just feeling flat.

The vocalist ruins it for me. Same as Overkill
I agree man, both killer music with extremely annoying vocals.
I’ve given this new Exodus a few listens and I’m not into it. Zetro’s whiny, nasally, constipated vocals grate on me like 20 grit toilet paper, and he went next level annoying on this one. And while it is a great guitar tone, I much prefer them with the more open, rude, raw and clanky tones of their past, especially the Dukes albums. Dukes Exodus fucking rules.

Back