FRIEDMAN SMALL BOX | And compared to a Marshall 1987X & JCM800 2203

I have a Friedman Small Box head and have owned a Marshall Plexi, YJM100, JVM, Vintage Jubilee head and others, including other supposed Marshall killers. My Friedman Small Box is my all time favorite amp and has been for years now.

Get is right... it's COUNT DRACULA to you mister...........:LOL:
And Mr. Count, I know you have to manage all your normal vampire and musician duties as your first priorities, but If you can fit it in, you could be a pretty epic James Bond villain too. (y) :cool::D:m17:

Love the video! I actually own all three of these amps (my 1987x is modded). The Smallbox and the 800 are very different amps; one is a Plexi the other is not. The 1987X is a more fair comparison since it's also a Plexi.

In my opinion, the Smallbox is amazing. It's the sound of a produced vintage Plexi. That's really what Dave has done that everyone loves: his amps get a produced Marshall tone in the room. That means smoothing out the gnarly treble, adding thickness to the low mids, and making the bass tight and punchy. The actual Marshalls are always going to sound brighter and more cutting by comparison.

I definitely prefer the 800.

I looked up a schematic for the Smallbox. It's got less filtering. 33uf. And 16uf on the preamp according to what I saw. That will make a difference and you can hear it in the clip. 800 is 50uf across the board.

His amps have won me over, love that there is no harshness on the top end. BE100DLX has helped me figure out what I was chasing in tone. I’m looking for a SB50 .... missed the Twin Sister listed a could days ago. Just want a small amp to leave at practice.

Matt

Last edited:
His amps have won me over, love that there is no harness on the top end. BE100DLX has helped me figure out what I was chasing in tone. I’m looking for a SB50 .... missed the Twin Sister listed a could days ago. Just want a small amp to leave at practice.

Matt
I would go with the Small Box over the DS. I am biased because after many years of playing and many amps, my Friedman Small Box 50 head is still my all time favorite and that has not changed in all years I have owned it.

His amps have won me over, love that there is no harness on the top end. BE100DLX has helped me figure out what I was chasing in tone. I’m looking for a SB50 .... missed the Twin Sister listed a could days ago. Just want a small amp to leave at practice.

Matt
Might consider selling mine

Back