Alnico creams

Dyllheaven88

Anyone using them for metal? I recently got a wiz cab loaded with alnico creams. And I’m on the fence on them. Clean to mid gain they sound excellent. But for straight In your face metal , eh I’m coming from v30s so I’m used to almost harsh top end . The alnicos are way smoother and a very equal frequency range . They sound good . But I feel like I have dial in my amps a little brighter. Anyone using them ?

Lowest tuning is drop c .

I highly recommend trying the Alnico Gold’s. One of the only non-vintage speakers that have impressed me. I also come from years of using V30’s and the Gold’s are imo actually even grittier/less smooth than V30’s. Alnico’s like you said are usually smoother, but there are a few examples here and there that completely break that stereotype like the Gold’s and all the old JBL’s. Those are all some of the more gritty speakers I’ve tried actually

I’ve not tried the Alnico Creams myself because in all the comparison clips I’ve heard it just sounded too smooth or polite to me. The Blues are kinda nasal/boxy and an absolute embarrassment to the original ‘60’s version, but the Gold’s imo they just got right and are something a bit different than their other stuff

Anyone using them for metal? I recently got a wiz cab loaded with alnico creams. And I’m on the fence on them. Clean to mid gain they sound excellent. But for straight In your face metal , eh I’m coming from v30s so I’m used to almost harsh top end . The alnicos are way smoother and a very equal frequency range . They sound good . But I feel like I have dial in my amps a little brighter. Anyone using them ?

Lowest tuning is drop c .

That's exactly what I'm doing. I've got two cabs, one front loaded, with two Alnico Cremes and two VIntage 30's. I know sound and tone is subjective but this was the end of my quest.

I had 4 Creams in a Wizard cab and I found them too soft an smooth for metal. Swapping two out for v30s helped a lot, but eventually I pulled the other two in favor of Creamback H75s. V30/H75s is perfect. I have 2 Wizard cabs loaded that way now. My other 2 Wizard cabs are loaded with Greenbacks and Creamback H65s - 4 of each in each cab and those work better than the Creams as well.

Last edited:
I had 4 Creams in a Wizard cab and I found them too soft an smooth for metal. Swapping two out for v30s helped a lot, but eventually I pulled the other two in favor of Creamback H75s and it was perfect. I have 2 Wizard cabs loaded that way now. My other 2 Wizard cabs are loaded with Greenbacks and Creamback H65s - 4 of each in each cab and those work better than the Creams as well.
I haven't cared for most of the clips that I have heard of them especially Reza's clips maybe they are better in person standing in front of the cabinet. I guess I still am in the traditional camp of 12H-30, Greenbacks and V-30's but if you like them that's why God gave us all different ears to hear with. Life would be boring if well all heard and liked the very same things.

I really like the alnico cream. I'm more of a rock guy than metal probably though... I should also mention that while I loved it with dirty amps, My alnico cream's permanent home is in a Buxom Betty combo so clean... I used to have it paired with a v30 in a bogner 212 and it was glorious...

Alnico drivers excel in tone, feel and nuance... thus, they aren't the best choice for use with preamp distortion amplifiers. You can use them, but, you'll get much better results using ceramic drivers. For what you guys are into, I recommend G12-65 Celestion or Marshall Vintage 30 drivers. If you're using OD pedals with NMV Marshall (or other), I recommend Celestion greenback drivers. For Boogie, nothing beats an EVM. I wouldn't pair a Boogie with anything but. If you're playing a MESA D/R, the made for Mesa/Boogie V30's and G12-65 are tits.

I haven't cared for most of the clips that I have heard of them especially Reza's clips maybe they are better in person standing in front of the cabinet. I guess I still am in the traditional camp of 12H-30, Greenbacks and V-30's but if you like them that's why God gave us all different ears to hear with. Life would be boring if well all heard and liked the very same things.
The g12h30 is to me the best middle point between greenback and v30. There is something fizzy in the v30s that pissed me off. Greenbacks are great speakers, but if you want the highend of the v30 and perhaps a bit more without all that fizz, i feel like the Annie is the best. I know I love the speakers. I highly recommend greenies too, though.

Back