Something cool in the house today: Demeter TGP-3

Early STP I thought was done on demeters, if that is the case I’m surprised they never caught in more

Early STP I thought was done on demeters, if that is the case I’m surprised they never caught in more

Most of STP for many years involved Demeter preamps.. Last time I saw them in concert Deleo had a pair of Vox Ac30's as well. . I've owned a Demeter TGA2 and TGA3 for many years, and they're killer amps

Eric

Nice! I've always wanted one of those. Usually just see the TGA-3 up for sale, but I don't really want the full amp.

I doubt there is one in oz so I'd never get to play one, and knowing that DeLeo is the most well known user, what's the core (no pun intended) tone of these amps and what are they most similar to?
I've always wondered if they're big and open or nicely compressed and easy to play kinda amps.

I doubt there is one in oz so I'd never get to play one, and knowing that DeLeo is the most well known user, what's the core (no pun intended) tone of these amps and what are they most similar to?
I've always wondered if they're big and open or nicely compressed and easy to play kinda amps.
I've been trying to remedy that but if Demeter are still open for business they're doing a good job of hiding it. Can't get a response after trying 3 methods of contact. Maybe the idea of building something 240V and shipping across the world frightens them, who knows.

It’s in the vintage, old school realm but with plenty of gain available. Like a bassman/JTM45/plexi on the verge of blowing up. Open, very dynamic and greasy.

Not a modern sounding or feeling preamp. It’s loose in the low end when you push the gain, but always open and old school. Touch sensitivity is very high

CRACKERMAN...F-sharp, A..'D'.

Actually, the main riff/verses
in that song are good representations of
that preamps sound.
Fat, warm with Marshall'esque upper mid-
bite & snarl.
Plenty of simple ways to tighten the bottom.
There's killer lead sounds in that thing also.
Cool shit man.
Bring it to the next level!!

Last edited:
Wow, congrats!

I’ve always wanted to try one.

One of the best live guitar tones for me was STP at a large outdoor festival. Magical sounding.

I've been trying to remedy that but if Demeter are still open for business they're doing a good job of hiding it. Can't get a response after trying 3 methods of contact. Maybe the idea of building something 240V and shipping across the world frightens them, who knows.
I talked with them earlier in the year. They were having some supply chain issues; at least one supplier (transformers) went out of business and they didn't have a solution. Very unfortunate.

The STP tone is cool but it’s hard to discern the full character of the Demeter behind all that chorus effect. This is a much more raw example of Demeter tone:

yeah his live tone was always ripping, wish i saw them back in the day

That was a good performance you linked. They were tight!

I saw them in 2001 (one of the my fav shows ever too) and they played a kick a— version of Shine On You Crazy Diamond. I also saw them again in 2019 it was I believe with new singer. awesome.

Anyways, back to the amp tone. It’s interesting how Dean combined the Vox with the Demeter, layered approach.

The STP tone is cool but it’s hard to discern the full character of the Demeter behind all that chorus effect. This is a much more raw example of Demeter tone:

I agree that at times his use of Chorus covered up the Demeter tones. Nice link.

It kind of has a JTM45 vibe- really fat and greasy, but it has way more gain available. It’s a fantastic rock amp. I think anyone buying it for ripping high gain tones would be let down. It has tons of gain but it’s not voiced for metal of any kind. That being said, channel 2 takes a boost like a champ to get into that tighter high gain thing. Trying it with my band in an hour.

WOW... that thing sounds fantastic, I can hear the Plexi in it.

Were you rolling back the volume at all at the end when going from clean to mean or was is strictly picking lightly and then digging in? That's pretty much how a good plexi reacts as well!

I am in total awe that a preamp/poweramp rig can get this type of dynamics ,Mr. Demeter must now his shit as I have not heard many preamp/poweramp rigs have the dynamics of a hardwired plexi where the preamp tubes, PI and Power amp tubes all contribute to the overall tone interaction.

Great video, thanks for posting it!

WOW... that thing sounds fantastic, I can hear the Plexi in it.

Were you rolling back the volume at all at the end when going from clean to mean or was is strictly picking lightly and then digging in? That's pretty much how a good plexi reacts as well!

I am in total awe that a preamp/poweramp rig can get this type of dynamics ,Mr. Demeter must now his shit as I have not heard many preamp/poweramp rigs have the dynamics of a hardwired plexi where the preamp tubes, PI and Power amp tubes all contribute to the overall tone interaction.

Great video, thanks for posting it!

Man that was strictly right hand pressure - just nuts. Thanks man.

It really is like a bassman/plexi lovechild that's about the explode. But at any volume. Has a wonderful spongy feel.

Here’s an iPhone recording I did for a buddy last night at low volume. If you can make it to the very last part, you can hear how it gets completely clean to completely saturated just with your right hand- really incredible.

That sounds fucking great!!

Back