Bright Les Paul, Need a Pickup - JB v Super Distortion v Duncan Custom v Marshallhead mk2 v 57 Classic (stock) v Rebel Yell

I had the same problem with my 2013 Standard. It had the stock pickups when I bought it. I always thought it sounded thin and lacking in punch especially compared with my Weddington (with a SH-5 Custom). I tried a Duncan Custom, a JB, and eventually put a Super Distortion in it. To be honest, it still didn't fix the problem. It sounds marginally better, but is still nowhere near as thick sounding as my Weddington.

I'm thinking maybe I'll try a SD Custom Custom next.

Last edited:
I am also tempter to try a nailbomb in my les paul. I just worry I will loose the cleans I get from the rebel yell.

You can get a Super Distortion with a cover.
s-l1600.jpeg

I had a super D in my Les Paul (bridge) and it sounded really good- nice and fat. My LP also is on the brighter side. I have a Dimarzio 36th Ann. in it now and that's Ok but I might put the super D back in.

Out of the pickups you have listed to choose from, given the things you are looking for tone-wise I think perhaps the Super Distortion might be the best choice of the bunch. That's the one I would give a try first, personally.
But as an aside, for a suggestion of a different pickup that would solve the issues you're dealing with, I also agree with the other posts that mentioned the SH-11 Custom Custom. That would most definitely be my recommendation, as it provides a fuller, warmer and livelier tone with the low-mids that you are missing.

My 2004 Classic also was on the bright side, I love a JB but it seemed to bring out more brightness out of the guitar. I finally settled with a Seymour Duncan Super V which to my ears tamed the brightness and added that nice low end thump. From what I read about the Super V is that it's basically a JB early prototype with an A2 mag. It came with a cover, but when I removed the cover to my surprise it was a double cream.

I had a 2002 LP Classic that was bright. I hated the stock ceramic pups.
Replacing the pots, caps and pickups really woke that guitar up, and it was my #1 for almost 20 years.
I put an SD Antiquity in the neck. Warm, but clear and articulate.
I put a Seth Lover in the bridge, later replaced with a BB3 non-potted, that had must a bit more rocknroll bark, and less noise than the SL.
I tried different pups with the guitar over the years, but nothing was better than those PAF types. They just worked.
The guitar was still bright, but was also thick, especially compared to my SG and Superstrats. It really filled up the sonic landscape.
That LP sounded better than a lot of more expensive LPs. I probably should have held onto it, but I didn't play it much anymore.

The SG I had was super thin with that same BB3 in the bridge slot. Sounded almost single-coilish, like 1984 tones. A Motor City Detroiter gave it much needed beef, with a full but tight low end, and an even sound throughout the frequencies.
The Godwoods in my Explorer are what I would recommend to anyone wanting a thicker, yet still articulate sound out of their LP. They're pretty awesome.

I’m a bright Les Paul, Duncan Alternative 8. It’s such a good pickup. Tons of output yet clear and no harsh highs.

Does it do cleans though?
The A8 have a unique clean tone. They have a rich midrange and respond well to pick attack lightly it will have good cleans, dig in and and it will push the amp. Here’s my 13.9k/A8. Sounds massive in a Les Paul.

I had a early 2000s Les Paul Standard that was really bright. Tried so many pickups -- the one that tamed it the best was a WCR Goodwood (now called Godwood)

Wile not the same construction I had a similar issue with my alder body/ maple cap/ ebony fretboard Shecter super strat. Tried a Wolfetone Fenris (14.5k, A2) after several swaps and it was PERFECT. Really filled out the lower mids and smoothed out the top end. Might want to try that or anything with comparable specs- Duncan Custom Custom, EVH Wolfgang, and the Duncan RTM come to mind.

Wile not the same construction I had a similar issue with my alder body/ maple cap/ ebony fretboard Shecter super strat. Tried a Wolfetone Fenris (14.5k, A2) after several swaps and it was PERFECT. Really filled out the lower mids and smoothed out the top end. Might want to try that or anything with comparable specs- Duncan Custom Custom, EVH Wolfgang, and the Duncan RTM come to mind.
I almost tried the Fenris. I really like the Marshallheads in my Les Paul and the Blisterbucker in my Explorer. I have a US Peavey LTD (basically a humbucker equipped strat) that I have swapped pickups in and out of so many times I don't even remember everything I've tried in it. It's not that it ever sounded bad just that this kind of guitar has a certain inherent sound and I'm used to more of that Gibson, set neck, mahogany, TOM bridge kind of sound. Wolfe tried to convince me to try the Fenris in it but I went with the Timbre Wolfe instead.

The Timbre Wolfe really does fit the bill if someone is looking for a wider/fatter sounding pickup in the vicinity of the JB. For me it does what people claimed the Dimarzio AT-1 is supposed to do, waaaay better. Will it stay in this guitar? For now! :LOL:

I almost tried the Fenris. I really like the Marshallheads in my Les Paul and the Blisterbucker in my Explorer. I have a US Peavey LTD (basically a humbucker equipped strat) that I have swapped pickups in and out of so many times I don't even remember everything I've tried in it. It's not that it ever sounded bad just that this kind of guitar has a certain inherent sound and I'm used to more of that Gibson, set neck, mahogany, TOM bridge kind of sound. Wolfe tried to convince me to try the Fenris in it but I went with the Timbre Wolfe instead.

The Timbre Wolfe really does fit the bill if someone is looking for a wider/fatter sounding pickup in the vicinity of the JB. For me it does what people claimed the Dimarzio AT-1 is supposed to do, waaaay better. Will it stay in this guitar? For now! :LOL:
If you didn't already know this the Fenris is a Timbre Wolf with an A2 instead of an A5. It's easy to swap the magnet out and see what you're missing (or not missing)!

If you didn't already know this the Fenris is a Timbre Wolf with an A2 instead of an A5. It's easy to swap the magnet out and see what you're missing (or not missing)!
Yeah he sent me an A2 mag with it if I wanted to try. So far I'm pretty happy with how it sounds as-is but I'm sure curiosity will get to me eventually.

I agree with the Custom Custom in a bright guitar. They're made for it. I had one in a Schecter Solo 6, and it sounded fantastic. Big, warm, and nice harmonics.

Back