Tinnitus Folks - Experiences & Solutions

I'm 58 years old with over 100 stage front concerts (including The Who) under my belt, used Bose 901 home speakers as earphones, countless hours of driving under the most extreme Fosgate powered conditions, thousands of rounds expelled; including 5.56, 7.62, .50 cal, M203 and grenades. Lawn mowers, weed eaters, chainsaws... hell, I even survived standing in front of a Marshall "Randy Rhoads" Super Lead 100 on 8 - without earplugs. It was so loud, that it cracked the ceiling in our living room. Not a single audible db of ringing in either ear. Weird.

I haven't used it for tinnitus but have heard promising things about bpc157 and tb500. May be something to look into

Ive had it for yrs in my left ear mainly. I have lost some high frequencies but still hear good. After getting the second jab Ive noticed it has went up in volume. I have heard of other people having same results after getting the vaccine. Any one else here experiencing it? It was tolerable but now its getting cumbersome.

Many loud concerts in the 80's resulting in ears ringing the next day. Coupled with band practice and no ear plugs EVER in my early 20's. We were partying all the time so I did not notice much. Fast fwd to the past 3 years (just turned 55) of gigging with loud drummer and ear plug use with occasional oops moments were you launch into a set and play one song another without them and then dayum that was loud moment's.

Just the past few weeks I have noticed a very slight almost as if a fluorescent hum was happening. I am going into 2022 with IEMs mandatory and possibly my last year gigging??

It has my attention. I have using my FM9 more for sure which if at loud volumes add to this, however it allows me to play at lower volumes as opposed to cranking my 100w heads all the time.

When I played Marshall Super Lead's, I would crank them to 7-8 and then play in an adjacent room. I actually prefer this over standing in-front of the amps; as it lets me use harmonic feedback in a musical context. A completely different world vs gobs of preamp gain.

I just freakin' noticed it bigtime while
taking a dump with the bathroom door closed.
Between this pipe-organ like ringing in
my ears & the birds & bugs chirpin'..

Tbh, I'm always running from it, it's like a shadow.

Having hearing issues has its advantages. It's easy to ignore people you don't want to talk to.
I've been accused of this. My left ear is good and I think due to the comb filtering going on in my head I am able to hear certain high frequencies well. Things like dripping/leaking water almost seem magnified. So while I can hear some of these subtle things most people ignore, I can't hear (or more accurately...discern) some of the normal things people don't ignore.

I've been accused of this. My left ear is good and I think due to the comb filtering going on in my head I am able to hear certain high frequencies well. Things like dripping/leaking water almost seem magnified. So while I can hear some of these subtle things most people ignore, I can't hear (or more accurately...discern) some of the normal things people don't ignore.
Many people who have tinnitus also experience hyperacusis..

Reading these posts I must say that I have tinnitus in a much severe way. At first I only had a 1 tone whistle that was in the background and only bothered me when there was no environment sound.
But now since 10 years ago (after a very loud gig, without wearing my ear plugs and consuming much alcohol) my tinnitus is now in the foreground and consist of white noise. All other sounds (people talking, environment sounds) are in the background. The first weeks I went crazy and cried..
It's hard but somehow you learn to live with it.
No matter what situation you're in, after some time you get used to it. Like losing a leg..
I also experience hyperacusis.
Lack of sleep, alcohol, some foods (like cheese), stress... can make your tinnitus appear louder..

The first weeks I went crazy and cried..
There was a day (before my right ear went deaf) back when we still had dial tones on phones. I picked up the phone and put it to my right ear and thought that it was the wrong pitch. So I switched it to my good left ear and it was the normal pitch. Went back and forth a few times and realized that my two ears would forever hear two different pitches for the same pitch. I wanted to die right then. At the time I didn't realize it was fading to black so to speak.

If you haven't watched that Beethoven video I linked above I encourage you to watch it. I can't even imagine how his loss of hearing must have tormented him.

Last edited:
I would say my tinnitus isn't much of a problem to me except for few specific situations:

- going to sleep, I put my head on a pillow, covering one of the ears;
- I wear foam earplugs;
- I wear headphones/ear monitors.

Basically, anything that covers my ears and mutes the environmental sounds causes my tinnitus to be MUCH more noticeable.

_________
Online Pharmacy

Last edited:
I started experiencing tinnitus after the flu. It was supposed to go away but it didn't happen.

What's that movie about the metal musician that lost his hearing? My sis recommended it. Looked depressing as hell.

I've got it a little bit. Had it since my 20's.

Mine tends to get louder and quieter along with my overall health. The more I try to eat well, sleep well, and exercise, the quieter it gets. The more I let myself go, the louder it tends to get.

I've learned to carry a can of earplugs in my vehicle and pop them in any time I go around heavy equipment or anywhere with sustained volumes that might hurt at all. It helps.

It's totally possible to adjust to tinnitus to the point where you dont even notice it. I'm going through a rough time with it right now but most days I dont even hear it. The trick is to just accept it and try to stay busy and not think about it! I am absolutely aware that soon or later i am gong to visit hearing aid store, but that is just life and there is nothing i can do about it.

Last edited:
Back