Revv Generator experiences?

My purple nightmare didn’t last long. Was too polite and smooth for me, no wow factor in it really, but very different sounding than the Revv. Probably would’ve liked it better than the Revv, but never compared them. I remember the Revv being more modern and compressed. My Wizard and iic+ completely humiliated the Purple Nightmare and terribly exposed everywhere the amp was lacking tonally. Seemed like a pretty good amp though before comparing it to others, but never really sounded great
The problem I see here is the same I have with some of my amps.
Nothing compares to a wizard or 2C+. Braintheory has a arsenal that is hard to achieve, much less overcome.
My KSR Gemini is badass. But for me there are a couple of other amps in my collection that are better....for me.
That is why I stopped chasing NEW amps a while back. I wanted to try a REVV and Driftwood,but why bother?
I also wanted to get an Invective. Badly! Lots of cool functions. But I doubt it would match the FJA 6505 in tone.
And if you are super attached to the Ultralead,its hard to find something that comes close to beating that tone/feel.

It's funny, the D-Moll is an amp I've wanted to try for awhile now but it seems to have enough negative reviews that I always pause. I got the Revv 100P MK3 last week and again, it was an amp that I read a lot of somewhat negative reviews about that I should have listened, because to me the Revv is very boring. The Invective seems to be in the same camp as well, lots of unfavorable reviews. Just enough to scare me away from purchasing one.
As far as the Invective goes, I’ve read tons and tons of generic bad reviews for them but I’ve occasionally bitten to ask them what specific issues they have and a lot of people that have given them bad reviews don’t own one. There’s also a bunch of pricks on these forums that want to be cool by talking trash about an amp promoted by a fairly mainstream guitarist. Several invective reviews have a main point of the fact that Misha uses an Axe-Fx. I read online once and confirmed with Peavey that it’s best results are when the master and master boost in the back are both dimed. I do this and run through a Fryette PS-2 for attenuation and it’s really brutal. Channel 2 and 3 are what I imagine Revv wanted to do with purple and red. I think the built in OD is good and it has an excellent noise gate. Just my opinion that it is an extremely solid 120W amp and great for metal. I’ve also owned a 50W stealth and felt the Invective was very close tonally. Tons of people can argue with me about this I’m sure but this is just my honest 2 cents about the amp.

As far as the Invective goes, I’ve read tons and tons of generic bad reviews for them but I’ve occasionally bitten to ask them what specific issues they have and a lot of people that have given them bad reviews don’t own one. There’s also a bunch of pricks on these forums that want to be cool by talking trash about an amp promoted by a fairly mainstream guitarist. Several invective reviews have a main point of the fact that Misha uses an Axe-Fx. I read online once and confirmed with Peavey that it’s best results are when the master and master boost in the back are both dimed. I do this and run through a Fryette PS-2 for attenuation and it’s really brutal. Channel 2 and 3 are what I imagine Revv wanted to do with purple and red. I think the built in OD is good and it has an excellent noise gate. Just my opinion that it is an extremely solid 120W amp and great for metal. I’ve also owned a 50W stealth and felt the Invective was very close tonally. Tons of people can argue with me about this I’m sure but this is just my honest 2 cents about the amp.
All I can say about the D-Moll is that I absolutely love it. It has a lot of low end which is what Diezel does. Best clean of any of my amps. The Diezel mid-shaping knobs do get confusing and my ears often aren’t sure what I’m accomplishing with them and if I like the resulting tone but once you dial it in and stop messing around it’s really really brutal. Like makes you chuckle brutal. I also run this through a power station so maybe other people haven’t been able to crank it much. All I can say is you should definitely try a D-Moll and decide for yourself.

The problem I see here is the same I have with some of my amps.
Nothing compares to a wizard or 2C+. Braintheory has a arsenal that is hard to achieve, much less overcome.
My KSR Gemini is badass. But for me there are a couple of other amps in my collection that are better....for me.
That is why I stopped chasing NEW amps a while back. I wanted to try a REVV and Driftwood,but why bother?
I also wanted to get an Invective. Badly! Lots of cool functions. But I doubt it would match the FJA 6505 in tone.
And if you are super attached to the Ultralead,its hard to find something that comes close to beating that tone/feel.
Agreed. I sold my Gemini for the same reason, but I did like it for a while. The Invective imo was decent, but would take a regular 6505 over it. I owned a UL for a while. It was one of those amps I appreciated much more when compared to the others, didn’t always love it by itself, but eventually decided not to keep it. I still always gotta try things just in case for peace of mind haha, but very little of the recent stuff has been noteworthy to me

Like you said the c+, Wizard and ccv have unique tones and feel that made them keepers for me longer other amps I’ve had. I don’t actually play them as often as other stuff I’ve got I’ve got, but since I’ve not yet tried anything that’s like them I can’t let them go haha

Last edited:
My purple nightmare didn’t last long. Was too polite and smooth for me, no wow factor in it really, but very different sounding than the Revv. Probably would’ve liked it better than the Revv, but never compared them. I remember the Revv being more modern and compressed. My Wizard and iic+ completely humiliated the Purple Nightmare and terribly exposed everywhere the amp was lacking tonally. Seemed like a pretty good amp though before comparing it to others, but never really sounded great
I’ll just assume that my IIC++ and Naylor would also humiliate the PN and scratch that one off my list. Thanks, Sam! :thumbsup:

I’ll just assume that my IIC++ and Naylor would also humiliate the PN and scratch that one off my list. Thanks, Sam! :thumbsup:
I really like my Darkest Nightmare with KT88s but I can’t say that it does anything particularly unique per se. I think when dialed in right and boosted right, most people would really like it for metal tones, but at the $3K+ price point, there are better options. I got my MI Audio Gamma for $1600 and would choose that over the Driftwood 100/100 times. So as far as your listed stand out amps they would likely be way better to you than the Driftwood but I also feel like it’s price hurts it.

I really like my Darkest Nightmare with KT88s but I can’t say that it does anything particularly unique per se. I think when dialed in right and boosted right, most people would really like it for metal tones, but at the $3K+ price point, there are better options. I got my MI Audio Gamma for $1600 and would choose that over the Driftwood 100/100 times. So as far as your listed stand out amps they would likely be way better to you than the Driftwood but I also feel like it’s price hurts it.
Agreed. That’s the problem there are so many amps that can be had in that price range. I myself have a MI Audio Megalith Beta and it’s a monster. I would easily take it over the Driftwoods, KSR’s, Revv’s, current made Diezel’s, Omega’s, etc. It is still more on the synthetic and compressed side like these other modern amps, imo not really the most toneful amp, but sounds so huge and efficient that makes it hard not to be impressed by it. Nothing else I’ve tried literally moves/shakes the floor like my Beta. It’s scary

I had a Gamma, really liked it, but ultimately moved it. I value your scale and comparison, thank you. :thumbsup:

I just flipped an Invective...that and the DMoll are the two fastest amp flips I ever had. Different strokes for sure.

I have owned quite a few of the amps mentioned in here (several marks, Several 6505s, ares, Gemini etc) and I have to say if you’re going for that type of tone like invective/revv the 5153 50w stealth pretty much dusts all of them and is a convenient for factor and price. When I was comparing clips of the revv, ksr and 50s it was pretty apparent. Great amp you might consider as well.

I had tried a D-Moll next to a Herbert MKII and remembering thinking the Herbert was in every way a lot better, but not an amp I'd need to have either (way prefer my Beta or Boogie Coliseums to the Herbert's)

Yeah Diezels just aren't for me. I had a Herbert MKI & MKII and neither lasted long. I liked them much more than the DMoll, but they were never gonna stick around. Opposite of tight, fast, sharp, cutting, grinding, organic, dynamic, and bright/aggressive in the upper mids...too low mid dominant, slow in the attack, soft on the low end, compressed, processed sounding. You've made comments about certain tones coming across "plastic" in the past Sam, and as odd of a descriptor that word seems, I feel like it epitomizes the feel and tone of Diezels for me...plastic, synthetic, processed, un-natural, inorganic.

Yeah Diezels just aren't for me. I had a Herbert MKI & MKII and neither lasted long. I liked them much more than the DMoll, but they were never gonna stick around. Opposite of tight, fast, sharp, cutting, grinding, organic, dynamic, and bright/aggressive in the upper mids...too low mid dominant, slow in the attack, soft on the low end, compressed, processed sounding. You've made comments about certain tones coming across "plastic" in the past Sam, and as odd of a descriptor that word seems, I feel like it epitomizes the feel and tone of Diezels for me...plastic, synthetic, processed, un-natural, inorganic.
I think it was more Tom that described things as plastic-y, but I guess I did sometimes too. It’s more with most modern pedals that can come off that way to me as well as the the EVH 5150 series of amps, but I can see the Diezels coming off that way. Definitely imo sterile and cold sounding amps. They’re not really hi-fi at all like some have said. I remember the Hagen sounding particularly fake to me. I will say though that my ‘97 Blueface and early purpleface Protoype are a million times better than the later Diezel’s, but probably not the right amps for you either. The Blueface is still not that tight and very low mid dominant, but sounds humongous, evil and grainy. The purpleface sounds kinda like a cross of a SLO and Cameron modded Marshall. Not the best imo for stuff heavier than maybe the 2nd Metallica album, but to me one of the best sounding and feeling amps I’ve had. Nothing like any Diezel

I think the Wizard MCII is probably gonna be hard to rival for what you like, but some contenders imo could maybe be a Naylor, IIC+, Megalith Beta, early Revision Recto or Rev 1 Uberschall. Those are at least some of my favorites for high gain. Badlander is also a cool amp I’ve kept, but somehow I predict you wouldn’t keep it

Last edited:
Several invective reviews have a main point of the fact that Misha uses an Axe-Fx. I read online once and confirmed with Peavey that it’s best results are when the master and master boost in the back are both dimed.
I just tried this and it is terrible, so bad I assume it is typo? I'm finding the key is not the Master but the ch volume- they need to be near max and then the amp is wholesome and roars, even at lower master volumes. max Master volume is yielding a thin and buzzy high end over here

oh and I LOVED my Revv gen II. It is mix-ready in studio or on stage, high gain sounds so killer! The cleans and low mid crunch were not as inspiring for me, but fine enough.
I even liked the Revv in those online blind shootouts so I guess it is a tone I like

I just tried this and it is terrible, so bad I assume it is typo? I'm finding the key is not the Master but the ch volume- they need to be near max and then the amp is wholesome and roars, even at lower master volumes. max Master volume is yielding a thin and buzzy high end over here
No I definitely meant the Master and the Master boost. I’ll see if I can find the source of where I read that. I definitely don’t get a thin/buzzy high end. Might have something to do with the attenuator I’m using causing some sort of shelving effect?

No I definitely meant the Master and the Master boost. I’ll see if I can find the source of where I read that. I definitely don’t get a thin/buzzy high end. Might have something to do with the attenuator I’m using causing some sort of shelving effect?
Here was a Facebook thread that i mentioned this and John Fields commented
B016BBA9-23AA-49B2-8013-0EC619C18918.png

I think it was more Tom that described things as plastic-y, but I guess I did sometimes too. It’s more with most modern pedals that can come off that way to me as well as the the EVH 5150 series of amps, but I can see the Diezels coming off that way. Definitely imo sterile and cold sounding amps. They’re not really hi-fi at all like some have said. I remember the Hagen sounding particularly fake to me. I will say though that my ‘97 Blueface and early purpleface Protoype are a million times better than the later Diezel’s, but probably not the right amps for you either. The Blueface is still not that tight and very low mid dominant, but sounds humongous, evil and grainy. The purpleface sounds kinda like a cross of a SLO and Cameron modded Marshall. Not the best imo for stuff heavier than maybe the 2nd Metallica album, but to me one of the best sounding and feeling amps I’ve had. Nothing like any Diezel

I think the Wizard MCII is probably gonna be hard to rival for what you like, but some contenders imo could maybe be a Naylor, IIC+, Megalith Beta, early Revision Recto or Rev 1 Uberschall. Those are at least some of my favorites for high gain. Badlander is also a cool amp I’ve kept, but somehow I predict you wouldn’t keep it

Those early VH4s you have must be unique, I'd love to hear them in person sometime. The MCII is one of my favorites no doubt, but the 100 CLX is another amp I just got and ranks up there. I also just acquired another older VHT era D60 and it is a very unique tone but especially feel. I also loved the 2011 Savage 120 and really liked the FB100...modern more processed sounding amps for sure, but they were very cool if set right.

The Naylor is on my short list. I've almost grabbed the Badlander numerous times.

Back