I only play riffs now, and I don’t care…

guitarplayer

People stop over, see my guitars in a rack….”You play guitar?” Never fails. “Hey, play something!” I break out into a mesh of 8-10 classic riffs. They are dumbfounded. “Holy crap! This is awesome! I had no idea! Your husband is like a rock star!…etc. Cracks me up.

I am certainly not going to bore them with listening to a complete song. The riffs are the “hooks”. It’s what everyone knows. Play a bunch in a row and they are mesmerized. They think I am a guitar God.

Its what I do. It works, it strokes my ego, it’s beyond fun. I have come to accept it. It’s easy. I win.

I thought this would be a Stevie "bag-o-riffs" Ray Vaughn thread. Whenever I listen to SRV, I remember my old guitar teacher showing me this or that lick and saying, "then you just string them together".

I force my family to sit down and listen to my 14 minute opus nightmares. I try to make them so out there compositionally in the beginning that they will hate it within 2 minutes. Then, the 12 minute self absorbed pentatonic scale only solo "roars in". About halfway through I will start fading away on the volume pedal to even give them the hopes that it is ending, but hell no. The more they just want to get up and leave..the more it fuels the fire inside me.

Back