Am I missing out on anything with boutique amps?

The difference in tone and price isn't directly related.

So an amp that cost 4 times as much won't sound 4 times 'better'.

When you start getting into high end amps, you're chasing that 1-2% difference in my opinion.

If you're a mad man like me, you're willing to pay stupid $s to tone chase those improvements.

A lot of boutique benefits are outside of just tone too.
Better build quality, more features, better effects loops etc.

My bedroom volume is most people's gig volume. I have a Wizard. I played a lot of amps. I could go the rest of my life playing my randall rg150h or the evh 5150 amp i had before it. But that would be such a waste. The way a wizard sounds and especially feels is vastly different from the soldanos or diezels or anything i have tried. It breathes fire. I have never played a MTL or even a MCII. Mids on this aren't Marshall mids, but they are in a similar place. Definitely not hollow. My amp is loud and rude. I wouldn't recommend it if you aren't the type of guy to jump in a river and grab an alligator by the tail. But if you like to be on the edge of fuckin insanity, then it is there.
I've only heard good things about wizzards. Do you have any clips? What model to get in the slo 100 and or BE 100 territory? Classic metal

The difference in tone and price isn't directly related.

So an amp that cost 4 times as much won't sound 4 times 'better'.

When you start getting into high end amps, you're chasing that 1-2% difference in my opinion.

If you're a mad man like me, you're willing to pay stupid $s to tone chase those improvements.

A lot of boutique benefits are outside of just tone too.
Better build quality, more features, better effects loops etc.
Exactly. Look at the knobs and buttons on most Marshalls and cheaper amps and then look at them on a Soldano and it's truly night and day. If you gig that will make a difference over time.

No doubt the boutique stuff is great but at the end of the day your still buying someone's else's vision of what they feel is great and dealing with their supply constraints. Take a soldano for instance, I'd argue more people could find their ideal sound modifying a $1000 jet City than they could buying a new slo100. Same thing could be said for Marshalls.

I've only heard good things about wizzards. Do you have any clips? What model to get in the slo 100 and or BE 100 territory? Classic metal
i have some clips of my shitty playing. all of them are into a cabinet that is micd at 105+ dbs. No irs or anything. just raw audio.

I think if you like slo and friedman, maybe wizard not for you. Those are very smooth amps. Wizards are raw and pissed off. If you like the smoother amps, Bogners are really badass also. That said. I loved the smoother amps too til i tried mine. It is a W800, so kinda like Rick's take on a modded jcm 800 I think.

i have some clips of my shitty playing. all of them are into a cabinet that is micd at 105+ dbs. No irs or anything. just raw audio.

I think if you like slo and friedman, maybe wizard not for you. Those are very smooth amps. Wizards are raw and pissed off. If you like the smoother amps, Bogners are really badass also. That said. I loved the smoother amps too til i tried mine. It is a W800, so kinda like Rick's take on a modded jcm 800 I think.

Snowblind... That's Scorpions guitar tone.

Eh. For many things I'd rather a 6505+ than an SLO. I've had both.
I'd prefer it for anything heavier than the 2nd Metallica album since the SLO's don't get as heavy or tight, but would take the SLO 10/10 times for anything less heavy than that, although this more applies to the '89 SLO I have (serial 146). The 2001 SLO I owned and other 2000's SLO's I've played were "nice" amps, but not exceptional to me. If that makes me a cork sniffer so be it

There are honestly lots of amps I much prefer to the 5150's/6505's for what they do, but for the price very hard to beat. Although before covid I would've said to get a mark iii or iv as the best amp under $1000

Last edited:
I'd prefer it for anything heavier than the 2nd Metallica since the SLO's don't get as heavy or tight, but would take the SLO 10/10 times for anything less heavy than that, although this more applies to the '89 SLO I have (serial 146). The 2001 SLO I owned and other 2000's SLO's I've played were "nice" amps, but not exceptional to me. If that makes me a cork sniffer so be it
we are cork sniffers. Else why the hell would we all sit here and talk about amps? Lol. We are sick

Basically the opposite of the music you like haha. Idk, I'm probably not the best at answering that question. To me most styles of metal of the 2 decades can qualify as modern metal to me unless it's like a clear throwback to older stuff
If it's from 2000 forward, I probably wouldn't dig it. I do like 90's industrial rock. Skinny Puppy, Ministry, Front 242, Nitzer Ebb... Hammered, trippin', rolling or trolling, that stuff is badass!

If it's from 2000 forward, I probably wouldn't dig it. I do like 90's industrial rock. Skinny Puppy, Front 242, Nitzer Ebb... That stuff is badass when you're hammered and trippin'.
Yeah I think 2000's really, although to me even some of the '90's Meshuggah stuff sounds enough like it could be modern metal in my mind. Guessing you'd probably not like them either haha, but they're one of my favorite metal bands. It's mostly their rhythmical content in the music that makes them so great to me. I mostly listen to classical music anyway and am really just a classical guitarist that can't stop thinking about electric tones

Snowblind... That's Scorpions guitar tone.

That is a pissed off sound! I'm sure I would like it.
The only 'Raw' pissed amp I have had is the Friedman Smallbox.

Would you say this is smooth?

Honestly I find MTL to lack anything in mids that make a Marshall a Marshall. Every time I hear a recording I don’t hear anything I’d prefer, but it’s the latest rig talk hype.

Wish we could hold more amp fests - it really helps people find what they like and don’t.
I'd try and attend one. I'm bummed I missed the Lugo ones 10+ yrs ago.

That is a pissed off sound! I'm sure I would like it.
The only 'Raw' pissed amp I have had is the Friedman Smallbox.

Would you say this is smooth?

I think the SLO 100 is fabulous amplifier, especially when you jack the MV. I prefer it with a 5751 in V2, but that's just me. It's the top end sizzle at lower volumes that I don't dig, but then who buys a SLO for low volume? It also doesn't feedback like a stock or modified Marshall does. I was actually amazed at how loud I could get it without it feeding back. I put the SLO100 in my top 5 best amps list.

Is the SLO100 too smooth? Not to me. To my ears, Cornford, Guytron and Naylor are smooth. All great amps, of course.

Last edited:
I spend money on glass. I prefer that with a simple circuit than sophisticated modern designs and valves. It just sounds True in a way that cannot be duplicated.

Just get a wizard MTL2 and your ears will tell you what you been missing fr .
I just wanted to say I had Diezels (which I love ) and Bogners and I still felt this way when I purchased MTL2. Now I run MTL2 and Diezel at all times . But man MTL2 just sounds so close to an album sounding amp over ever had

Back