Revv Generator experiences?

Yeah Diezels just aren't for me. I had a Herbert MKI & MKII and neither lasted long. I liked them much more than the DMoll, but they were never gonna stick around. Opposite of tight, fast, sharp, cutting, grinding, organic, dynamic, and bright/aggressive in the upper mids...too low mid dominant, slow in the attack, soft on the low end, compressed, processed sounding. You've made comments about certain tones coming across "plastic" in the past Sam, and as odd of a descriptor that word seems, I feel like it epitomizes the feel and tone of Diezels for me...plastic, synthetic, processed, un-natural, inorganic.
I actually was a fan of the vh2. I don't think it is the best amp in the world, but i think it had a good sound and feel. I don't think it was dead. Maybe a bit of a smooth gain. But all in all, if it were the only amp i had, I wouldn't be pissed. maybe the middle ground between a twin jet and avenger.

No I definitely meant the Master and the Master boost. I’ll see if I can find the source of where I read that. I definitely don’t get a thin/buzzy high end. Might have something to do with the attenuator I’m using causing some sort of shelving effect?
Where is your ch volume at? I get that the original 5150 did not have a master, but those amps were great at regular loud volumes. This Inv 120 sounds putrid until the ch volume is above 3 oclock/ near max, making it damn near impossible to max the master volume without an attenuator.

But I do like it so I guess that is all that matters. lol you have me wondering though

I have owned quite a few of the amps mentioned in here (several marks, Several 6505s, ares, Gemini etc) and I have to say if you’re going for that type of tone like invective/revv the 5153 50w stealth pretty much dusts all of them and is a convenient for factor and price. When I was comparing clips of the revv, ksr and 50s it was pretty apparent. Great amp you might consider as well.

I can see why people like the Revv, but I had a MK II Generator that was just really uninspiring and bland.

Going back and forth with a KSR Juno and it sounded like Revv took the KSR lead tone and boosted it but in an unsatisfying way. Lots of saturation and compression with a synthetic sounding low-end. If that's the kind of sound I was going for, I agree with you, just get a 5153.

I am pretty satisfied with my current group of amps but I want to add a 5150 or 6505 and possibly a dual rec just to have the classic metal amps covered.

The one amp that I am really tempted by lately is the Wizard stuff. I may grab one in 2022. It seems like that is one of those grail amps. My interest has been piqued by some of the newer amps like Omega, Driftwood, Dover, etc. but none have really had me motivated enough to say "OK I'm getting one"

I am pretty satisfied with my current group of amps but I want to add a 5150 or 6505 and possibly a dual rec just to have the classic metal amps covered.

The one amp that I am really tempted by lately is the Wizard stuff. I may grab one in 2022. It seems like that is one of those grail amps. My interest has been piqued by some of the newer amps like Omega, Driftwood, Dover, etc. but none have really had me motivated enough to say "OK I'm getting one"
Everyone should have a good recto in their arsenal imo. Nothing else has the same throaty growl like the orange channel on the early revisions. You might also like the Badlander. I’ve kept mine still for about a year now

If you can afford a Wizard they are great amps that punch harder than anything else I’ve tried so far. I really didn’t think the Omega or Driftwood were that good. Any Wizard would humiliate those amps. Dover sounded good, but sent packing fast still by other stuff I had. IMO only a handful of modern amps really have been something special and the wizard is imo among those very few

The Driftwood is a great amp but probably not worth the $3-4K price range. I really want to try an Omega myself and may just end up ordering one and waiting however long it takes. The Neural DSP omega plugin is pretty impressive. I run it through a tube poweramp into cabs to get the best result. I’ve seen comparison videos and it seems pretty close. I’ve never played or heard a Wizard in person but from what I’ve heard it’s an ear opening experience. Hard for me to commit the $4K+ without playing one first. Moral of the story is that the driftwood is fantastic but I wouldn’t drop the money they are commanding.

The Driftwood is a great amp but probably not worth the $3-4K price range. I really want to try an Omega myself and may just end up ordering one and waiting however long it takes. The Neural DSP omega plugin is pretty impressive. I run it through a tube poweramp into cabs to get the best result. I’ve seen comparison videos and it seems pretty close. I’ve never played or heard a Wizard in person but from what I’ve heard it’s an ear opening experience. Hard for me to commit the $4K+ without playing one first. Moral of the story is that the driftwood is fantastic but I wouldn’t drop the money they are commanding.
I was disappointed with the Omega obsidian I tried multiple times compared to my amps. I remember it sounding dry, kinda stiff, not very organic, nothing about it that was particularly unique or like this huge wow factor to me, but as a whole I guess sounded “good/nice” not great and not as pricy as other amps I guess

I was disappointed with the Omega obsidian I tried multiple times compared to my amps. I remember it sounding dry, kinda stiff, not very organic, nothing about it that was particularly unique or like this huge wow factor to me, but as a whole I guess sounded “good/nice” not great and not as pricy as other amps I guess
My Omega Granophyre is my favorite high gain amp I've ever owned. The Grano and Obsidian are a touch different in sound and feel so if you can try a Grano, I highly recommend it. It's a bit more raw and aggressive. More upper mids than the lower mid focus of the Obsidian and is in no way dry or stiff IMO.

My Omega Granophyre is my favorite high gain amp I've ever owned. The Grano and Obsidian are a touch different in sound and feel so if you can try a Grano, I highly recommend it. It's a bit more raw and aggressive. More upper mids than the lower mid focus of the Obsidian and is in no way dry or stiff IMO.
The Granophyre would be interesting to try if I get a chance. I heard from someone who knows inside stuff that the Granophyre might be somewhat modeled after the Cameron Atomica, so if that’s the case it definitely would be the complete opposite of dry and stiff and more aggressive like you said. My only reservation would be that given the more inorganic/filtered nature of the Obsidian if the Granophyre also is that way. I’m very picky about that attribute and it seems to just be how most non-vintage gear sounds, but I always am interested in trying stuff I haven’t yet

The Granophyre would be interesting to try if I get a chance. I heard from someone who knows inside stuff that the Granophyre might be somewhat modeled after the Cameron Atomica, so if that’s the case it definitely would be the complete opposite of dry and stiff and more aggressive like you said. My only reservation would be that given the more inorganic/filtered nature of the Obsidian if the Granophyre also is that way. I’m very picky about that attribute and it seems to just be how most non-vintage gear sounds, but I always am interested in trying stuff I haven’t yet
I work for Omega Ampworks and the Granophyre circuit is absolutely nothing like an Atomica circuit.

Ok fair enough. Appreciate the clarification. Would be cool to try one. Out of curiosity, is it at all a Marshall-y flavor or like any Jose mod?
I'm not at all familiar with Marshall style amps since I haven't really went down that rabbit hole but a buddy of mine told me he thinks the Granophyre is "Marshally". I've also said that to other users to see what they thought and they said no not really. So tbh I don't know what it's based off of but I know I love it, haha.

Currently trialing a Marshall JVM 410H and a REVV generator 120 Mk 3.

I've only had for about a week but put some good time in each.

This latest experience I had left me with after playing the revv with a thought that it sounded better maybe more reformed but that I actually preferred the Marshall and all its glory..

Boy oh boy oh boy what's next :)

Back