If You Could Have Only One Guitar, What Would It Be?

5EC4EA8F-F5E9-4287-A1C9-0EFF92FE529D.jpeg

That. I can do anything I want to on that one.

A Norlin-era LP Custom. I’ve owned a handful over the years, all but one have been killer. I currently have a ‘76 wine red LPC with factory chrome hardware. It’s a screamer, and will go to the grave with me.

SbhTmTf.jpg
One of the first gear forums I ever visited was filled with people who were ragging Norlin era LP's. The remarks were so ridiculous, that I began to challenge the naysayers. Result... Banned! I had spent too many hours playing Norlin's to let a group of herd-minded idiots get away with spreading BS. If I weren't 58 years old, I'd still be rocking a 12 Lb. Norlin era Les Paul Custom.

Best LP I ever played was a Norlin that had been refretted by Gryphon Strings. I think they wanted $1600 so I passed. Sure feels stupid now.
I had a 79 LPC Black with gold hardware, that was the best playing LP I've ever had. Got it for $550 in 98.
Sold it for double that so I could get a PRS CU24 10 top.
Wish I could have a redo on that.

Best LP I ever played was a Norlin that had been refretted by Gryphon Strings. I think they wanted $1600 so I passed. Sure feels stupid now.

I know that feeling all too well. Back around ‘02-‘03, I passed on a mint ‘77 3-pup black LPC for $900. I took it home for a week, and the owner even offered to let me keep it while I made payments. Unfortunately, I was mostly playing bass during that time, and ultimately wasn’t interested in more guitar gear. Still kicking myself for that one.

I've decided on a 1987 ESP "Mirage Custom" as my one and only. All of my best recordings were done on a '87 Mirage Custom. Its maple construction w/ebony fretboard is simply unbeatable when it comes to attack and sustain. The only guitar that came close was my 1986 Jackson Soloist. Neck-thru guitars (IMO) sound best with EMG pickups. I haven't played EMG's in over 20 years, so it's going to be a treat getting back into them.

Check it out... I may have paid to bit too much, but I don't care. This is the one guitar that I've always regretted selling. Not bad for a 35 year old ESP.

Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 10.31.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 10.30.55 AM.png

Last edited:
I had a Mesa/Boogie 4x12. Mine was 2x12 closed bottom and a 2x12 open top.

Last edited:
If I could only have one guitar, it would be my #1 PRS Custom 22, no question.
Had it over 20 years and it's one of the best guitars I've ever played.

Back