Wizard amp recommendation

Sorry if this sounds too obvious, but just try a few pedals and see what you like. You already own one the greatest amplifiers ever made, so literally any pedal will sound good. What sounds best to your ear for the tones you like is not something I think we can really help with :confused:
Fair enough. I was just looking for a general direction as I have never tried to achieve this sound before.
A muff type is easier to handle since it's fuzzy but almost distortion like (compared to a fuzz face or superfuzz). If you're going for EHX ones the Op Amp and the Green Russian are both cool for fast-ish sludge.

For clones or modded muffs from other manuacturers check out Black Arts LSTR or Paraoh. EQD Hizumitas (Boris sig pedal) sounds cool too but I haven't tried one yet.
Thanks! I will check these out.

man I really dig your choices of bands but Wizard seems overkill. Honestly when we are talking Mastodon my favorite tones they used were JCM800's.

Are you familiar with Pelican? One of their guitarist got a Wizard one time and immediately got rid of it for a PCB based plexi. The tone on Pelican's Drought is the sound of my dreams and it also kinda reminds me of the Melvins' Houdini tone.

Listen to Crack the Skye songs with isolated guitar tracks. Oblivion is definitely a a Marshall 800 or plexi with a little bit of a boost.

man I really dig your choices of bands but Wizard seems overkill. Honestly when we are talking Mastodon my favorite tones they used were JCM800's.

Are you familiar with Pelican? One of their guitarist got a Wizard one time and immediately got rid of it for a PCB based plexi. The tone on Pelican's Drought is the sound of my dreams and it also kinda reminds me of the Melvins' Houdini tone.

Listen to Crack the Skye songs with isolated guitar tracks. Oblivion is definitely a a Marshall 800 or plexi with a little bit of a boost.
I have heard of Pelican! Another great band. I just checked out his rig and he uses a Rat as well. That seems like a good place to start since it has come up a lot in my research.

I have heard of Pelican! Another great band. I just checked out his rig and he uses a Rat as well. That seems like a good place to start since it has come up a lot in my research.
I think you would do good with something like an 800, VTM, or ampeg v2 and a rat or big muff.

Fair enough. I was just looking for a general direction as I have never tried to achieve this sound before.
Yeah wasn't having a go at you, just thinking you have a superb amp - time to try a few pedals until you settle on something you dig.

Grab a RAT and a Muff for starters, too many brands and variants to go into. Keep buying, experimenting and selling until you find something you love... and report back of course!

Yeah wasn't having a go at you, just thinking you have a superb amp - time to try a few pedals until you settle on something you dig.

Grab a RAT and a Muff for starters, too many brands and variants to go into. Keep buying, experimenting and selling until you find something you love... and report back of course!
No worries. I'll report back.

Back