NCD! Marshall JCM800 with Celestion Black Backs

War_in_D

Started another thread asking for current street price for a Marshall JCM800 cab with Celestion Black Backs, since I was working on a trade for one. Picked it up today. Guy told me it had 1978 Black Backs in it, but from the date codes it looks like two are from 1975 (LH6X), and two are from 1976 (AJ8X). Two of the cones are stamped with 1777, I believe they are the AJ8X date codes. One of the other two LH6X has a "3" stamped in white ink on it, but I couldn't find any other markings on the last one but I couldn't get a really good look all the way around it.

Of course, the mandatory "picks or it didn't happen" shots are below. :cheers:

Marshall JCM800.jpg
Marshall JCM800 back.jpg
Celestion G12M 75hz.jpg
Celestion Black Back LH6X.jpg
Celestion Black Back AJ8X.jpg
Celestion 1777.jpg

Put a meter on it & check DC resistance BEFORE you hook up an amp / learned that the hard way.
Should be about 13.6 Ohms.

Put a meter on it & check DC resistance BEFORE you hook up an amp / learned that the hard way.
Should be about 13.6 Ohms.

Well... LOL I didn't follow that cardinal rule, and played it for about 2 minutes but I just checked it and it was 13.8 Ohms. So, thankfully that's all good. I'm probably going to end up rewiring it with some heavier guage wire eventually. The stuff that's in there isn't very heavy duty.

Well... LOL I didn't follow that cardinal rule, and played it for about 2 minutes but I just checked it and it was 13.8 Ohms. So, thankfully that's all good. I'm probably going to end up rewiring it with some heavier guage wire eventually. The stuff that's in there isn't very heavy duty.
My first Blackback cab had been re-wired to 4 Ohms parallel but was told it was standard Marshall 16 series parallel.
Lucky for me i could figure it out/very lucky.

Nice score. Did you grab this from a guy selling them in Missouri? Looks like one I saw on Craigslist recently.

Yup, guilty as charged! LOL. Had an older, steel grilled Mesa cab up too. Said that he had a guy driving all the way down from New Jersey to pick that one up!

Yup, guilty as charged! LOL. Had an older, steel grilled Mesa cab up too. Said that he had a guy driving all the way down from New Jersey to pick that one up!
Haha nice. Yeah I saw that halfback cab on the listing as well. Wow, NJ is a heck of a drive. I thought really hard about grabbing that Blackback cab when I saw it pop up because he was so close and it seemed priced well. I’ve been eyeing a couple of other things, so I never reached out. Glad you got it. I hope it’s killer.

The 3 stamped on there would suggest that it’s a Pulsonic cone…which is a HUGE score imo. All of my 72 1221s have that stamp…or it was re-coned using a Pulsonic cone repair kit…they should sound fairly different than the 1777s… this is very interesting.
Paging Jim from Scumback…

Also, pull the speakers and take pics of the cone itself from the front...the Pulsonic cones have a distinct doping look around the dust cap...I have read on Bygone Tones about Cream/Greybacks from 74-75 occasionally having Pulsonic cones..but never a blackback.

Also, pull the speakers and take pics of the cone itself from the front...the Pulsonic cones have a distinct doping look around the dust cap...I have read on Bygone Tones about Cream/Greybacks from 74-75 occasionally having Pulsonic cones..but never a blackback.

When I rewire, I'll pull them out and take some pics.

I hate to hi-jack a thread but while we are on BB's speakers does this look like 25 watt Black Backs to you all? I got this cab in a trade and thought it might be BB's. One of them was punctured and I repaired it and the cab does sound really good..Any info on dates and codes would be very appreciated.

Attachments

• P9160035.JPG
    P9160035.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
  • P9160036.JPG
    P9160036.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 45
  • P9160034.JPG
    P9160034.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
  • P9160033.JPG
    P9160033.JPG