Setting ohm on amp

Briman24

Hi guys, sorry for newb questions about ohm settings in advance. If i have a cab that reads 6.8 ohm ....do i set my amp to 4 ohm? Or 8 ohm?

What if i have 2 cabs that read 6 8 ohm each? My guess is set the amp at 4 ohm?
Want to make sure! Thanks in advance!!

I’d use 8 ohms for a single cab

4 ohms for two cabs.

Resistance usually reads slightly lower than reactance although this is just an observation moreso than a guideline.

I haven't moved my amps or cabs in years and i just scored a dsl50 for super cheap and was stacking it on top of one of my other stacks. So wanted to make sure as i am splitting the cabs to each head.
Thanks again

Yes it is an awesome amp. I had one 15 years ago and sold it. Regretted it ever since even though i have have two vintage JCM800'S from 1981 and 82. This dsl sounds as good as both 800's and has a clean channel. One of my 800's has been modded to have clean channel but the dsl clean is bit better.
I think i will sell one of the 800's.

The good thing is this dsl50 is a 2005. They fixed the bias drifting issues from 2003 onward.

Last edited:
Yes it is an awesome amp. I had one 15 years ago and sold it. Regretted it ever since even though i have have two vintage JCM800'S from 1981 and 82. This dsl sounds as good as both 800's and has a clean channel. One of my 800's has been modded to have clean channel but the dsl clean is bit better.
I think i will sell one of the 800's.
let me know. I will probably buy one of the 800s

The one i think i will sell is 1982 4104. It was modded by Rick Onslow. He added ppimv, clean channel with tube added, converted to Kt66's. All the tubes are recently changed and are tung sols.

My other 800 is an 81 2203 and only mod is a push pull mv knob which bypasses the bright cap. Billy Duffy used it for a show in Montreal i was told by previous owner. I am second owner.
let me know. I will probably buy one of the 800s

Hi guys, sorry for newb questions about ohm settings in advance. If i have a cab that reads 6.8 ohm ....do i set my amp to 4 ohm? Or 8 ohm?

What if i have 2 cabs that read 6 8 ohm each? My guess is set the amp at 4 ohm?
Want to make sure! Thanks in advance!!
8 ohms. Speakers operate in AC which reflects impedance not DC resistance, meaning that the resistance taken on an AC component is frequency specific. It is normal for a speaker to reader lower DC resistance than it’s impedance

Last edited:
Back