Was EVH using his old trusty Marshall still in 1985?

Kyrpajyra

Banned

Probably posted here before but his tone even when filmed with a shitty camcorder is fucking amazing. Also interested if anyone knows about his speakers during this era?

He used his Marshall on every record up until 1991 as far as I know, so that's probably what's being played here, probably through G12m Greenbacks. Love this clip!

Marshall amps are like wrestling with a beast.

Eddie didn't have attenuators around so he tried to lower the voltage on his Plexi because they were too loud. After destroying several amps using a light dimmer switch he got a Variac and that's how the foundation for the Brown sound was achieved incidentally to his lowering volume. Then you need the EvH chops which is really a lot of his tone also. Give someone else his rig and it will sound like any other Plexi.

That studio is playing those amps fully opened up and isolated in another room. The results through the monitors sound incredible. Can you imagine how loud it would be in the room? A guitar just sitting on a stand would be playing by itself with the resonance going on.

It was definitely still there, but I think a lot of the question marks about Eddie comes from the idea that he only used that one amp exclusively from the mid 70s up until he suddenly calls Mike Soldano in 1990. So every discussion about, for example, whether José modded his amps or not tends to grind to a halt right there, when I think a reasonable assumption is that he had tons of amps and tested out different stuff constantly. That original one might have been his main amp and favorite, sure, but what was stacked up against the walls at 5150 or out on tour at any given moment is a different question. Heck, that Charvel in the clip there is a good example of that.

Ed had a Ton of marshalls, almost every major band in LA eventually aquired an amp from him. The story is good and its mostly true but the original one/ used on VH1 was lost in shipping by the airlines, im pretty sure. It was 98% Ed the amp just followed, same with Hendrix. The only 2 true originals of rock music imo.

Ed had a Ton of marshalls, almost every major band in LA eventually aquired an amp from him. The story is good and its mostly true but the original one/ used on VH1 was lost in shipping by the airlines, im pretty sure. It was 98% Ed the amp just followed, same with Hendrix. The only 2 true originals of rock music imo.
Agree..

some rock n roll airline pilot is probably secretly sitting on evh's original marshall!
Damn i really wish someone who knows amps would be able to get a hold on that one such as Dave Friedman so he could take a look at it.

I’m pretty sure I read in Noel Monk’s book that the head that got lost on tour did turn up some number of months later in undamaged condition. I believe Dave Friedman did some maintenance work on that particular amp for Ed at some point and confirmed it was stock - no MV. It was biased up to ‘normal’ dissipation range at 90 volts from the variac. Wind the voltage down too low without bringing the bias up, and you miss most of the goods.

Damn i really wish someone who knows amps would be able to get a hold on that one such as Dave Friedman so he could take a look at it.
All it was/ is was a couple different values than normal and it was done by marshall. Im pretty sure it would ya cost 10 -20 bucks to change it. I have 6 plexi`s and they all have that amount of gain with a boss ge 10 in front easily.

Marshall amps are like wrestling with a beast.

Eddie didn't have attenuators around so he tried to lower the voltage on his Plexi because they were too loud. After destroying several amps using a light dimmer switch he got a Variac and that's how the foundation for the Brown sound was achieved incidentally to his lowering volume. Then you need the EvH chops which is really a lot of his tone also. Give someone else his rig and it will sound like any other Plexi.

That studio is playing those amps fully opened up and isolated in another room. The results through the monitors sound incredible. Can you imagine how loud it would be in the room? A guitar just sitting on a stand would be playing by itself with the resonance going on.
Everything on 10, at 90v is still crushingly loud, I can assure you.
Ed did that because he liked the tone it produced, not because it was too loud.

Echoplex?

While the EP3 does color tone with its pre-amp, what I have noticed is that when you start to hit the Marshall volume levels of Eddie Van Halen or Blackmore, the Plexi distortion floods it out. It's the variac that got him the brown tone. You can achieve the same results today with EQ on each end of the chain and adding Eddie pedals like his flanger and phaser.

did eddie have a preferred mic/mics or technique?? out of all the evh threads i never really see that discussed much when its probably a big part

There is another clip where he is playing in the control room with the cab in there and he says 'I like to feel the air moving' likely in the 90's when his hearing may not have been as good. :unsure:

Back