Marshall JCM800 2204 question...

Fret-Shredder

Hey guys I mostly run my 1983 JCM 800 2204 boosted with a Boss SD-1. I also have a VFE Dragon that I love. I go for 80s Dokken/ Ratt tone and get there with either of those two pretty well. My question is would adding a Fulltone OCD to my collection be something you think I would like? How does the OCD play with a JCM800? And if so what version of OCD should I be after. Thanks for any advice.

Hot mod V2 with your SD-1, I love mine. I have a 1981 2204 with EL 34's in it. I also love my OCD Ver 1 and Custom shop with my Carr Hammer head and Suhr Hombre but Don't care for it with a Marshall.

Attachments

• Evo-Chassis-768x565.jpg
    Evo-Chassis-768x565.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 24
I use an OCD clone, Joyo Ultimate Drive, to boost my 72 Trem head. Does a nice job; different flavor than my 86 SD1, Protone Dino and OD1X. The OCD should do a great job with your 2204. It's a little fatter sounding than my other ODs.

OCD was my favorite drive for a while. I have various versions of it. All are good in their own way, but the 1.7 seems to be the favorite of most. Easy to find, cheap and sounds great.

Just a few things. I haven't tried an OCD with an 800. OCD will add some bass, with the 2.0 version being the most bass heavy. It was overwhelming so I did not like it. I liked the OCD's I have with my jcm900, since its anemic in the bass department. I also didn't mind it with my vtm60. I wouldn't use an OCD with my dual rec though, and prefer something that would tighten things up, which the OCD does not really do.

You may like the added bass, you may not. Considering a 1.7 is plentiful and cheap, you won't lose out much if you don't like it.

I didn't think OCD's were created for boosting Marshalls
IIRC, they were supposed to be more of a JCM800 in a box type of thing. I remember liking mine into certain verge of breakup amps but I never loved it.

For a different flavor to goose your 2204, maybe try a Nobels odr if you havent. And you can find clones with an added bass control which is nice to have.

My advice is to buy actually dedicated boosts as opposed to boosting with an OD pedal when you have a set of OD pedals to cover the basic foundation OD/Boost tones with them (SD-1, 808, TS9). With OD pedals it is always a hit or miss if it works with the amp and your tone. Boosts are more forgiving.

For example, EQD Arrows pre-amp boost, TC Elec Spark, Friedman boosts, EP boosters.

As far as ODs go, I have an EQD Dunes for something even more boutique and the Palisades is a big swiss army OD boost pedal. Way Huge also offers swiss army ODs and Boosts.

IIRC, they were supposed to be more of a JCM800 in a box type of thing. I remember liking mine into certain verge of breakup amps but I never loved it.

For a different flavor to goose your 2204, maybe try a Nobels odr if you havent. And you can find clones with an added bass control which is nice to have.
I don't care for an OCD into a JCM.
It's betters as a Marshall in a box, like someone mentioned, into clean amp, stacked with other pedals.
I love a Timmy into a Marshall. And the Wampler Belle, based on the Nobrels ODR but with a bass knob, is good too.

I'd use a Fulltone Fulldrive I think it's called ? The one Doug Aldrich used on the Dio Holy Diver tour they did together, he used rented JCM 900 amps as backline and the tone is scary close to Viv's recorded tone IMO.

have you tried a Klon type pedal? I was stacking a Ryra Klone with a Maxon OD808 for awhile in front of a splawn and really loved them together. I eventually got the buxom boost and used it more. The Buxom Boost is highly under rated in my opinion and it seems to love marshall type amps.

OCD will work well enough as do most boosts but it will lose out to what you already have. OD-1/SD-1, TS family and that dragon are already delivering the goods. Sounds like you just feel like buying something. That's cool though, i do that too!

I don't care for an OCD into a JCM.
It's betters as a Marshall in a box, like someone mentioned, into clean amp, stacked with other pedals.
I love a Timmy into a Marshall. And the Wampler Belle, based on the Nobrels ODR but with a bass knob, is good too.
Right, it makes a clean amp sound 800-ish which I thought was the design goal. But not for boosting a JCM800. Never tried a Timmy into one tho.

Back