1st time trying a Mesa Dual... video

Would that apply more so to the Rectifier series or also to the Mark V and JP-2C?
All Mesas tend to have the same type of low mid-centric thing going on...Rectos can get that huge low end, wall of sound thing but struggle to tighten up like a Mark series, while the Mark has great low end it's not on the same level as the Recto.

All Mesas tend to have the same type of low mid-centric thing going on...Rectos can get that huge low end, wall of sound thing but struggle to tighten up like a Mark series, while the Mark has great low end it's not on the same level as the Recto.
In the recto world, how would one navigate between single, dual, triple, roadster, road king, maverick, rectoverb, tremoverb, etc. There are so many different options, it’s hard to know what to look for when it’s really hard to find a variety of amps to try anywhere these days.

In the recto world, how would one navigate between single, dual, triple, roadster, road king, maverick, rectoverb, tremoverb, etc. There are so many different options, it’s hard to know what to look for when it’s really hard to find a variety of amps to try anywhere these days.
I think the new Badlander is a really good option; or a Multi Watt Trip or Dual. I go for the Triple as they seem less 'bloated' in the lows...Badlander is like an already boosted Recto from what guys tell me. I'd tell you to grab a vintage 2 channel Dual/Triple but they are hard to find. Multi watt Triple or 100w Badlander would be my choice if I were interested in a Recto.

While I love (prefer?) the G12T-75 1960 cabs playing at home, when I've A/Bd them in the band with any Mesa amp the V30 cabs always win for me.

The Badlander is NOTHING like a Recto. NO balls. Great tone though, would be a killer rock amp. Also the liquid lead was on par with a good Mark II/III.

Keep in mind this is splitting hairs- but I've owned or played many of them all. Road Kings / Roadsters / Tremoverb are a little darker & less pissed off. Better cleans. Duals & Triples are more angry, with Triples also being a little tighter & more aggressive in the old 2 channel versions. The 50w versions are weak sauce. The Rectoverb 25 is surprisingly legit if you don't need big volume. Needs a boost but the tone is on point.

My favorite high gain metal tone? Triple Rev F- AND- the Rev G is the sound of the 90s whether you like it or not. My favorite OVERALL Recto? MultiWatt Dual. In the MWs, the Duals have better mids than the triples and in general the MW has fantastic tone on all channels. The MW is VERY close to the Rev F.

Great video! I definitely want to grab a Mesa but not sure whether I should grab a rectifier, Mark V or JP-2C. Hard to know what would overlap tone-wise with the other heads I own.
Recto sounds like two amps at once to me, it has such a large footprint. And the Recto has a very "open" sound to me; it tends to make other amps sound a bit narrow and nasal.

Easy to tighten up if you're willing to accept using a boost pedal (and definitely if using something like the EMG 81).

One thing with the Recto when I listen to it, is that it seems to sit "behind" other amps, like a 5150 or Mark. That's not necessarily a problem, but if there are other amps in the mix, something you might want to consider for how you'd use it.

Sounds brutal. I dig it! I haven't fired up my Rev F in probably 6 months or so, but I do like it. It's just my other amp suits me better. I'm a pedal dude and the dual rec isn't really a great pedal platform lol.

Recto sounds like two amps at once to me, it has such a large footprint. And the Recto has a very "open" sound to me; it tends to make other amps sound a bit narrow and nasal.

Easy to tighten up if you're willing to accept using a boost pedal (and definitely if using something like the EMG 81).

One thing with the Recto when I listen to it, is that it seems to sit "behind" other amps, like a 5150 or Mark. That's not necessarily a problem, but if there are other amps in the mix, something you might want to consider for how you'd use it.
Thanks for the input. That’s a very insightful take on it. This thread has without a doubt pushed me towards the recto over the others.

Just tried mine with my 1960 and it really is great, the feel of it I love too, has just the right amount of bounce for my playing, really is fun to play
I even started using the tube rectifers earlier this year. It is backwards from what everyone on the net says, but it really does bring some mean chuggs that way.

Sounds killer man. Thick. Have to say I like it a bit more than your Mark clips. You need one of these. I have a Single Rec and a Bad Monkey and it is a great boost for this amp. Thanks for sharing.

I even started using the tube rectifers earlier this year. It is backwards from what everyone on the net says, but it really does bring some mean chuggs that way.

I’m on diodes and bold now, I’ll have to try the tubes and spongy tomorrow, haven’t messed with them much

IMHO, you could start an old rev G 2-channel Dual Recto. That's the classic tone you hear on all the 90s early 2000s recordings. If you don't like it, you don't need a Recto.

I’m on diodes and bold now, I’ll have to try the tubes and spongy tomorrow, haven’t messed with them much
I am using tube and bold. Spongy is not quite as aggressive on pick attack, so I don't like it as much. I think it would be better in a general rock sense, instead of metal.

Sounds cool, just not as cool as your Mark series vids. There's a dryness to the recto tone that I don't like, and those upper high end frequencies.

Sounds cool, just not as cool as your Mark series vids. There's a dryness to the recto tone that I don't like, and those upper high end frequencies.
I think it's cool how people hear things differently because I hear the opposite of that. Maybe I'm just not a Mark kinda guy. But I will say the MOP tone is one of my favorites :yes:

Back