Marshall JCM800 2204 question...

Hot mod V2 with your SD-1, I love mine. I have a 1981 2204 with EL 34's in it. I also love my OCD Ver 1 and Custom shop with my Carr Hammer head and Suhr Hombre but Don't care for it with a Marshall.
What does this sound like? I have an SD-1 in front of my stock 2204 and it has plenty of gain... just curious what the Hot Mod adds.

What does this sound like? I have an SD-1 in front of my stock 2204 and it has plenty of gain... just curious what the Hot Mod adds.
It obviously adds more gain. I agree an SD-1 in front of a Marshall is fine. I just have fun and enjoy playing straight in with the Hotmod dry, that will keep you on your toes. I still play Bars in a cover band and have been doing it for over thirty years. Back in the day I played out with two full Marshall stacks one on each side of the stage, But anymore my Marshalls stay home, except maybe every once in a while for a special gig, very rare though. I play out with a Carr Hammer Head 1X12 EL 34 28 Watt combo that is F#@KING killer, we nicknamed it the HORNET because it would sting your ears lol. RaMbLinG

Thank you everyone for all the replies. Doesn't sound like the OCD is for me. I'm glad I asked this question.
Ok to take in peoples opinions however I wouldn't write off an OCD until you actually use one. I have 1/2 dozen boosts and my V1.7 OCD provides the highest db boost. Mine is pretty dark so the tone knob is set pretty high, more so than any other pedal I have. The Fulltone Fulldrive is another good option. The SD1 appears to be a very popular choice to overdrive the front end of a Marshall however as a stand alone boost there are better options. Pricey but use a Fryette PS100 with a 2204 to find the sweet spot without tone sacrifice and use the effects loop with a MXR 10 EQ. Using the 2nd channel on the Fryette to boost is another option. This assumes you do not have an effects loop already. Many historical threads on folks struggling to get a good boost on a single channel amp. Using your guitar volume to boost in parallel with a pedal boost is another option but old school approach not for everyone. Works for me though. Alot of options in front of you...good luck.

It obviously adds more gain. I agree an SD-1 in front of a Marshall is fine. I just have fun and enjoy playing straight in with the Hotmod dry, that will keep you on your toes. I still play Bars in a cover band and have been doing it for over thirty years. Back in the day I played out with two full Marshall stacks one on each side of the stage, But anymore my Marshalls stay home, except maybe every once in a while for a special gig, very rare though. I play out with a Carr Hammer Head 1X12 EL 34 28 Watt combo that is F#@KING killer, we nicknamed it the HORNET because it would sting your ears lol. RaMbLinG
Hot Mod is awesome to goose your front end however just adds more gain and compression. Great non-invasive reversible mod to hotrod your vintage Marshall's. Not really designed as a stand alone boost IMO. It took my '79 JMP 2204 into new territory. It really provides the tone that all modern boutique amps chase down for tone. I don't think you would be disappointed getting one of these little units. Need a stand alone boost on a single channel amp then there are much better options out there.

Hot Mod is awesome to goose your front end however just adds more gain and compression. Great non-invasive reversible mod to hotrod your vintage Marshall's. Not really designed as a stand alone boost IMO. It took my '79 JMP 2204 into new territory. It really provides the tone that all modern boutique amps chase down for tone. I don't think you would be disappointed getting one of these little units. Need a stand alone boost on a single channel amp then there are much better options out there.
Like I said it is fun to play with it straight in, like you said, I have a first year JCM 800 2204 all stock but changed bias resistors for EL 34's, wasn't saying end all be all.

Back