Delay pedal choices

Recently ditching the digital world and returning to pedals and switching through voodoo labs PX8 system. Love the back to traditional tube heads meets technology approach. Have always been a fan of MXR Carbon Copy or the TC electronics delay pedals. Looking to experiment. Or I’ll just stick with what I know lol. Your favorite? Set up: Mono rig. Metal. Go!

Got a PX-8 myself. Love it for the same reasons you do. I have yet to find a cleaner, better sounding delay OR verb than the Earthquaker Dispatch Master. My only ‘gripes’ are the single ‘level’ settings for both FX And no ability to turn the two effects on and off independently of each other. For a long time, I had a pair of Dispatch Masters in Loops #7 and #8 of my VooDoo PX-8. I had one set for Delay only and the other set for Verb only. Verb is an ‘always-on’ effect for me, and that allowed me to punch in the Delay in and out as needed. I have since put a Nu-X Atlantic in Loop 8 (Delay and Reverb in one box with dedicated Level Controls for each effect) to make room for a Chorus unit in Loop 7.

EQ Dispatch is still my favorite for pure sound quality by a per-cent or 2. But for a 2-in-one Delay / Verb Unit that offers dedicated level control AND an on/off switch for each effect the Nu-X is really hard to beat.

I have an early 90s EHX DMM and I love it but my Source Audio Nemesis put the kibosh on delay gas for me. And I thought I was a delay junkie but apparently not.

I really liked the dls echo tap as well as the earthquaker avalanche run and disaster transport Sr. Great delay pedals. I've currently got an eventide h9 max, as good as the other are the eventide is just better.

I run a damage control timeline. The only delay I’ve ever ran and continued to run. Bypass path is tube buffered internal to the pedal which helps revive your analog signal if using a metroloop. It’s a great sounding delay.

Carbon copy and all other analog delays suck, imo. I've had plenty, and still own one.
I'd pick the Strymon DIG or EQD Dispatch Master if I need one do it all delay. TC Flashback ain't bad, either.
I agree. I hate analog delay. I’ve tried too many and always end up canning them.

I’ve owned just about every high dollar all in one delay units out there……Strymons, Eventide, Source Audio, etc. Finally settled on the Boss DD-200. It’s simple to operate and has the least amount of tone coloration IMO. Handles hot levels perfectly. You can also use the Tera Echo mode at minimal settings to create a nice reverb.

Ibanez DE-7. Unlock the power! Unlock the secret.

These stupid things have gone up in price too but I gotta say, I love mine. Best trade I ever made.

Depends on what sound you want, and how complex a pedal you want to deal with. Do you need tap tempo? MIDI? How many MS of delay?

Easiest to use:
venerable Boss DD3, DD7, etc
TC Flashback and Alter Ego (the toneprint stuff is VERY useful)
MXR Carbon Copy, CC deluxe, etc etc

Best sounding:

Nemesis
Strymon Volante
Empress Echosysten

Multi FX/Combos:
Keeley Caverns
NUX Atlantic
Eventide H9
GFI Specular Tempus

There are so many damned great delay options that you really need to give us a bit more info about what youre running in your rig, and what you want to get out of your new delay.

The EQD Avalanche Run is my digital delay and reverb pedal. Really versatile.

I love the Strymon El Capistan for a tape delay sound. Tried a whole bunch of tape delay pedals, and that is the one.

TC had some great toneprints if you want something in between.

I currently have a TC Electronics Transition (just a special version of the Flashback with a few different default algorithms on the dial) in my loop delay spot and a Boss DM-2w at the end of my chain in front. I will sometimes choose to use the DM-2w for a certain vibe on cleans but I really bought it to be able to have some delay when using my Deliverance 60. It's a great sounding delay but I do usually use it on the "Custom" setting that they added to this Waza version.

I do like the Toneprint option on the TCE pedal. There are some really cool downloadable Tone prints out there that add in other effects like modulation and reverb so you really are getting more with one of these pedals than just a delay.

So, (remember go easy, this is coming from a challenged FX person),
I use a little bit of delay and I have two of the TRex replica pedals which I have always adored…
Another real advantage is that I can leave the unit on top of my amplifier and use an external one button foot switch to tap tempo.

But, Are these considered pretty much junk now with all the updated and more transparent stuff available?

EQ Dispatch is still my favorite for pure sound quality by a per-cent or 2. But for a 2-in-one Delay / Verb Unit that offers dedicated level control AND an on/off switch for each effect the Nu-X is really hard to beat.
Up until a week ago the EQ Dispatch was my favorite too, been running it in the loop of my Wizard for years.. then I ran into a used Keeley Caverns and that changed things. Control over all functions, levels for both effects and ability to easily turn one or both on / off, plus lots more going on with sounds. Right now the Caverns is the winner but that doesn’t mean the EQ Dispatch is going anywhere

Up until a week ago the EQ Dispatch was my favorite too, been running it in the loop of my Wizard for years.. then I ran into a used Keeley Caverns and that changed things. Control over all functions, levels for both effects and ability to easily turn one or both on / off, plus lots more going on with sounds. Right now the Caverns is the winner but that doesn’t mean the EQ Dispatch is going anywhere

Both are great pedals tbh - and there are so many options these days, OP should probably just try a few of them and return the ones he likes the least.

Reactions: PDC
Back