Marshall JCM 800 2204 Overdrive Shootout

I've had numerous TSs and SD1s. I've had the VFE Standout, Airis Savage, Suhr Koko(s)...
My favs are the Timmy and Klon.
Timmy is a super versatile pedal. Clean boost, colored boost, stand-alone od, It's a tool everyone should have. It's the Buck knife of od's.
This Klone has a weird volume pot, so I have to crank it more than usual for the standard volume boost. However, it is the best sounding one I've had out of Tumnus, Ikon, Centura, KTR, Conspiracy Theory, PCE AF, Stud...couple others I can't remember the names of. From boosting an overdriven amp, to adding the most beautiful sparkle, to being a stand-alone od for a Fendery amp, the Klon is choice.
The Wampler Belle is fast becoming one of my favorite od's. I could describe it, but I'll just say, go grab one and play with it. You'll find a use for it. Easily on par with the Timmy and Klon.
The Cherry Bomb is my fav treble booster so far. I've had Diamond Marquis, Fulltone Ranger, couple others. The only one I still want to try is R2R. Cherry Bomb adds a very organic boost to an overdriven amp. The tone knob helps navigate between cocked wah and too much bass. One of my fav pedals. Super cool into a Vox, or other overdrives. Also, very good behind other fuzz pedals for shaping tone and creating chaos.
Super surprised by the Dano EQ. Damn. Who knew. And I've used it all this time in the effects loop or behind other pedals to get the sound I wanted. It's a bad bitch.
Greer Lightspeed is like the sprinkle of cinnamon on your toast. It doesn't do much, but what it does is oh so tasty. Best at the end of the chain, to funnel overall volume and eq.
Analogman DS1 is probably my fav dirt into a clean amp. It's 80s metal to 90s grunge greatness.
Spaceman Polaris is niche, probably best into a clean amp, and stacking with other pedals. I've had great luck with it into a crunchy Vox or DRRI, and in use with some chaotic fuzzes to shape the eq.

I think it’s worth noting that the Greer works best as an always on and great post boost. It adds sparkle to your clean tone and brings some clarity back when used after an OD/Boost. If using a darker of, this pedal just makes things right.

I think I like the Danelectro EQ the best. $25 pedal. I’ve got one. I like it better than the Boss EQ. It’s quieter and more natural. The Boss adds some hair and is noisier, but it’s built better. For $25, that Danelectro is killer.
Yep, I’ve preached this since I joined RT. I used one to boost an SLO, Jubilees and 2204s at my gigs since 2008. The only issue is the cheap footswitch; they fail after heavy use. I’d buy 2 at a time every other year so I’d have a new one to use when predictably the other one failed.

I definitely like the Lightspeed the best, followed by the Timmy, the Klone, and the little Dano eq.

Most of the other stuff sounded to me like it was designed to go into a cleaner amp, at least to my ears.

Lightspeed was my favorite, seemed to alter the tone the least. Timmy was next, then klone, and then Dano Eq, which to me I would have tweaked the mids down a touch.

Been gasing for a wampler belle, but would use it into a clean amp versus as a boost.

Lightspeed was my favorite, seemed to alter the tone the least. Timmy was next, then klone, and then Dano Eq, which to me I would have tweaked the mids down a touch.

Been gasing for a wampler belle, but would use it into a clean amp versus as a boost.
7c6 (1).jpg

Our rankings were EXACTLY the same 😂

The Belle is great into a clean amp. One of the best stand alone od's I've had. It can get pretty dirty too, almost distortion like. It's a great all around pedal.

I think I'll do the same type comparison, but into a clean Vox AC15.

Cherry bomb sounds badass. Now I want a dallas rangemaster..
I love it. Great for Maiden and Sabbath type stuff.
It sounds fantastic with other overdrives or fuzz pedals.
And just killer with a Vox. Feels great when you play it, too.
I've had the Fulltone Ranger and Diamond Marquis, flipped em fast. The CB ain't going nowhere, and it has a permanent spot on the revolving pedalboard. Need to boost an OD into distortion? Done. Need a bit less mud or more clarity? Hit it and roll down the guitar volume. Want to make your fuzz pedal cut through a bit more and sound gnarly? Use the CB. I learned that trick from the Analogman Sun Lion.
The only other treble booster I'm curious about it the R2R.

Back