Bad Cat - WTF customer service!

Agreed, but unfortunately I live in Rural MT and there aren't many techs let alone good ones to my knowledge.

Same here. I'm in eastern Washington state and the closest qualified techs are hundred miles away and completely swamped, I ended up "becoming" the de facto tech, though I'm always up front with people that my knowledge is only basic.
Didn't realize he'd done that. He hired my sound clip guy to do all of his clips on his site with Scumbacks. Then he tells everyone they're G12H30 Anniversary speakers. He lost any and all respect or contact from me after that about 4-5 years ago. Doesn't surprise me about the customer service issues some of you have experienced. All I can say is it's too bad. Gives the industry a bad name.
Imagine my surprise when I found out 3 years ago, although I'd heard rumors going back further. I verified it with two different sources. Too bad I heard about it after I cut him a great price on one of my NAKED demo cabs loaded with Scumback BM75's in 2018. I got a call from him yesterday. I was talked down to like I didn't know what had happened and that I hadn't followed up to know what he told others. He tried to re-write history on that phone call. I barely got a word in edgewise and I told him not to insult my intelligence. Then he said he had a right to do that over this "miscommunication". Right. I hung up on him. I know what I was told by my sound clip guy. Then I had someone else verify that same info when they called him about his clips on the site, then they called me and told me what he said. I call that being responsible.

I got a 3 page email from him later that afternoon. I haven't read it. There's no need. It's not like we were good or close friends, or that his email would suddenly make up for what I know happened. Other amp companies have done this as well, so it's not a new situation. So I just wrote him off, end of story. Life is too short to figure out why companies/people do this stuff.

Holy shit Jim, that's insane. I can't believe you were relatively cool headed with him on the phone - I would have been LIVID. You're a better man than I! I can't even imagine why he would lie about something like that, either.

I bet that email you got is hilarious though 😂

When all someone has to do is the right thing...and earn a loyal following. Who wants that these days. Commie fucks🤬
Right? Like, I know there are jackass customers who ask stupid questions and have unreasonable demands, but when a customer has a reasonable issue and the builder behaves ethically and is helpful, you can make a customer (or even friend) for life.

I imagine its the same when builders/manufacturers work together on something.

This henning guy that made those cherry bomb amps sounds like a fucking lowlife, yikes.

This is Steve Henning of Henning Amplification. I was hoping this was just going to die, but Jim deciding to continue to post again in this thread is too much for me to put up with and I rejoined just for the purpose of addressing this thread. For the record, the reason I left here is much more serious than being upset with someone's silly posts, but I'm not going to discuss that.

I'm going to address this once and then I'm not responding to any comments, so you can all say whatever you want because this is the only post I'm going to make here period...

As far as not servicing MetalHeadMike's amp...

I am a one man shop. My policy has always been that I only provide warranty service for original owners. Many one man shops like myself have the same policy. I do not have the time to be able to do non-warranty service, even if paid for. I wish I could, but I just can't. It is always better to take the amp to a tech rather than ship it across country to me and risk additional damage anyway. I have always provided schematics, layouts and any other phone help I can to techs who work on my amps and have successfully helped with the mostly minor issues that have happened. It's unfortunate that MetalHeadMike doesn't have any techs around, but as many builders have the same policy I do, he could have called or emailed me before buying the amp.

I was very courteous in explaining all this to the MetalHeadMike, despite his insistence, but when I would not change my policy and take his amp, he was angry. You cannot please everyone. He returned the amp to the original owner, who sold it to him for a full refund. I don't want to bring the original owner into this, but when he got the amp back, he took it to his tech and guess what, THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT! In fact, he re-sold it to another person in short order and hasn't heard a peep from him.

On Jim at Scumback. I'm very upset about this. We got into a yelling match over the phone over it yesterday. I'm totally confused and blindsided by what he wrote and that is why I called him. It is really unfortunate that Jim, a person I was friendly with, has decided to badmouth me and my business over 1 clip that was posted over 9 years ago, based on hearsay from third parties, rather than contacting me and confronting me directly where I could have resolved it with him YEARS AGO. I want to point out that I only ever used one clip that this guy provided to me 9 years ago, I did not hire him to "make all the clips for my site". I do not even remember what speakers were used and didn't discuss that in my posts here. I can't find anywhere that I posted the clip was made with G12H30s. I don't even remember how I paid the guy, but I think I gave him an unloaded cabinet - I really don't remember. We're talking about, "Well, so and so said that Henning said that clip had G12H30s on it." - I mean, really? Really?

Think about this. I have NOTHING to gain by purposely lying about what speakers were used on a clip? I've sold like five or six cabinets since 2012. I make ZERO dollars on speakers. I am getting no kickbacks from Celestion. Why would I purposely try to hurt someone I was casually friendly with?

Jim - you ever think that maybe someone else is recollecting something incorrectly?

To be clear, I have never knowingly and purposely told someone that a clip recorded with Jim's speakers were from a different maker. I don't remember ever telling anyone that speakers used in that clip were G12H30s. I can't say for a fact that that did not happen as I talk to many people, but if I had done it, it would have been bad memory, not malice against Jim and if he had just called me, I would have made a public statement apologizing because there would have been no intent behind it. I am not saying I did this, I truly don't remember discussing that particular clip from 9 year ago with anyone. For the record, here is the email I sent to him after our call and it is the absolute truth. Note that this was written when Jim said he stopped talking to me 4 or 5 years ago and before he edited it to 3 years. Who is re-writing history, Jim? Oh, and you didn't read my email? Then why did you need to revise your original post from 4 or 5 to 3 years?:

Jim,

I'm very upset about how the discussion we just had on the phone got out of hand because I've always considered you a friend. I truly believe that you are confusing me with someone else or there is some other misunderstanding on this issue on your cabinets and clip George made for me.

[Name redacted] made some clips for me early in 2013. That is the only time I've ever used him for anything and the only clip I ever posted on my site is still up on the Cherry Bomb page today. A George Lynch style tune he did. I've never posted any of the other clips he made for me on my site. Here is the thread where I first posted the clip. You can see the date is June 21, 2013. I don't see where I mentioned speakers here at all.

https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/thre...-bomb-clip-one-of-my-favorite-players.139030/

See the attached email below [EMAIL NOT ATTACHED HERE]. I bought the NAKED cab from you in January of 2018. I came up to your house, I was afraid of your dog if you remember, I brought my Bartlett up for you to play. We went out and had Sushi and you told me all about [redacted for personal reasons]. I left with the cab after that.

If you lost respect for me for a clip I posted from George in 2013, I'm totally confused as to why we were together playing our Les Paul's and having a nice sushi lunch in 2018? George hasn't done any clips for me for over 9 years.

I'm going to say this again as I did on the phone. I would never knowingly and purposefully say a clip was not your speakers when it was. What would I possibly have to gain by doing so, Jim? I've sold, like 5 or 6 cabinets since 2012. I don't make any money from speakers. If I mistakenly, ever, said that that clip wasn't your speakers years later, which I can't find anywhere, it was just a mistaken memory on my part and not purposeful. I've always been cool with you, I think you would know that. I'm also a bit confused on why you would be so mad about one clip from 9 years ago now...

I'm open to discussing and resolving this with you if you are interested. I'd like to have no hard feelings between us. If not, it's a shame that a misunderstanding or fading memory on our parts means we are no longer friends...

Steve

I will reiterate That's all I've got to say on this matter...

Last edited:
This is Steve Henning of Henning Amplification. I was hoping this was just going to die, but Jim deciding to continue to post again in this thread is too much for me to put up with and I rejoined just for the purpose of addressing this thread. For the record, the reason I left here is much more serious than being upset with someone's silly posts, but I'm not going to discuss that.

I'm going to address this once and then I'm not responding to any comments, so you can all say whatever you want because this is the only post I'm going to make here period...

As far as not servicing MetalHeadMike's amp...

I am a one man shop. My policy has always been that I only provide warranty service for original owners. Many one man shops like myself have the same policy. I do not have the time to be able to do non-warranty service, even if paid for. I wish I could, but I just can't. It is always better to take the amp to a tech rather than ship it across country to me and risk additional damage anyway. I have always provided schematics, layouts and any other phone help I can to techs who work on my amps and have successfully helped with the mostly minor issues that have happened. It's unfortunate that MetalHeadMike doesn't have any techs around, but as many builders have the same policy I do, he could have called or emailed me before buying the amp.

I was very courteous in explaining all this to the MetalHeadMike, despite his insistence, but when I would not change my policy and take his amp, he was angry. You cannot please everyone. He returned the amp to the original owner, who sold it to him for a full refund. I don't want to bring the original owner into this, but when he got the amp back, he took it to his tech and guess what, THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT! In fact, he re-sold it to another person in short order and hasn't heard a peep from him.

On Jim at Scumback. I'm very upset about this. We got into a yelling match over the phone over it yesterday. I'm totally confused and blindsided by what he wrote and that is why I called him. It is really unfortunate that Jim, a person I was friendly with, has decided to badmouth me and my business over 1 clip that was posted over 9 years ago, based on hearsay from third parties, rather than contacting me and confronting me directly where I could have resolved it with him YEARS AGO. I want to point out that I only ever used one clip that this guy provided to me 9 years ago, I did not hire him to "make all the clips for my site". I do not even remember what speakers were used and didn't discuss that in my posts here. I can't find anywhere that I posted the clip was made with G12H30s. I don't even remember how I paid the guy, but I think I gave him an unloaded cabinet - I really don't remember. We're talking about, "Well, so and so said that Henning said that clip had G12H30s on it." - I mean, really? Really?

Think about this. I have NOTHING to gain by purposely lying about what speakers were used on a clip? I've sold like five or six cabinets since 2012. I make ZERO dollars on speakers. I am getting no kickbacks from Celestion. Why would I purposely try to hurt someone I was casually friendly with?

Jim - you ever think that maybe someone else is recollecting something incorrectly?

To be clear, I have never knowingly and purposely told someone that a clip recorded with Jim's speakers were from a different maker. I don't remember ever telling anyone that speakers used in that clip were G12H30s. I can't say for a fact that that did not happen as I talk to many people, but if I had done it, it would have been bad memory, not malice against Jim and if he had just called me, I would have made a public statement apologizing because there would have been no intent behind it. I am not saying I did this, I truly don't remember discussing that particular clip from 9 year ago with anyone. For the record, here is the email I sent to him after our call and it is the absolute truth:

Jim,

I'm very upset about how the discussion we just had on the phone got out of hand because I've always considered you a friend. I truly believe that you are confusing me with someone else or there is some other misunderstanding on this issue on your cabinets and clip George made for me.

[Name redacted] made some clips for me early in 2013. That is the only time I've ever used him for anything and the only clip I ever posted on my site is still up on the Cherry Bomb page today. A George Lynch style tune he did. I've never posted any of the other clips he made for me on my site. Here is the thread where I first posted the clip. You can see the date is June 21, 2013. I don't see where I mentioned speakers here at all.

https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/thre...-bomb-clip-one-of-my-favorite-players.139030/

See the attached email below [EMAIL NOT ATTACHED HERE]. I bought the NAKED cab from you in January of 2018. I came up to your house, I was afraid of your dog if you remember, I brought my Bartlett up for you to play. We went out and had Sushi and you told me all about [redacted for personal reasons]. I left with the cab after that.

If you lost respect for me for a clip I posted from George in 2013, I'm totally confused as to why we were together playing our Les Paul's and having a nice sushi lunch in 2018? George hasn't done any clips for me for over 9 years.

I'm going to say this again as I did on the phone. I would never knowingly and purposefully say a clip was not your speakers when it was. What would I possibly have to gain by doing so, Jim? I've sold, like 5 or 6 cabinets since 2012. I don't make any money from speakers. If I mistakenly, ever, said that that clip wasn't your speakers years later, which I can't find anywhere, it was just a mistaken memory on my part and not purposeful. I've always been cool with you, I think you would know that. I'm also a bit confused on why you would be so mad about one clip from 9 years ago now...

I'm open to discussing and resolving this with you if you are interested. I'd like to have no hard feelings between us. If not, it's a shame that a misunderstanding or fading memory on our parts means we are no longer friends...

Steve

I will reiterate That's all I've got to say on this matter...

"I don't want to bring the original owner into this, but when he got the amp back, he took it to his tech and guess what, THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT!"

Nor do I, hence why I mentioned no names and was also sure to say what a solid seller they were. Pretty sure I already made your CAPITOLIZED point very clear in my initial post. I was pretty clear in saying the seller received the amp back, took to a tech, and it was fine. That does not negate the fact that when I received it there was an issue. I even video'd the problem I was having and provided it to the seller after first looking it over for obvious cause and after replacing all tubes per the sellers consent to do so.

Can't say I ever got angry, just vocalized how I thought it was odd you wouldn't work on your own amp for cash.

Last edited:
That guy is a major jackass. I’m glad he ended up huffing and puffing his way out of here.
Most of them do, of course after they are done using the forum to pump up their brand - Fortin, Fluff, Surreal and a few others.

Last edited:
popcorn-laughing.gif

Most of them do, of course after they are done using the forum to pump up their brand - Fortin, Fluff, Surreal and a few others.

I keep seeing fluff bashed around here lately and im not really sure why, was there a story I missed somewhere with him??

Imagine my surprise when I found out 3 years ago, although I'd heard rumors going back further. I verified it with two different sources. Too bad I heard about it after I cut him a great price on one of my NAKED demo cabs loaded with Scumback BM75's in 2018. I got a call from him yesterday. I was talked down to like I didn't know what had happened and that I hadn't followed up to know what he told others. He tried to re-write history on that phone call. I barely got a word in edgewise and I told him not to insult my intelligence. Then he said he had a right to do that over this "miscommunication". Right. I hung up on him. I know what I was told by my sound clip guy. Then I had someone else verify that same info when they called him about his clips on the site, then they called me and told me what he said. I call that being responsible.

I got a 3 page email from him later that afternoon. I haven't read it. There's no need. It's not like we were good or close friends, or that his email would suddenly make up for what I know happened. Other amp companies have done this as well, so it's not a new situation. So I just wrote him off, end of story. Life is too short to figure out why companies/people do this stuff.
Wow. F'd up. I played one of his amps once. Bad Cat 30? Decent enough. Never would have guessed I'd be reading this today.

PS: I think you meant "I call that being irresponsible" ?

Wow. F'd up. I played one of his amps once. Bad Cat 30? Decent enough. Never would have guessed I'd be reading this today.

He's referring to Henning not Bad Cat. Somehow this thread became about that rather than Bad Cat's. I didn't like much any of the Bad Cat's I've tried either and I've played quite a few

I meant that double checking from two different sources was being responsible for verifying the facts.

He's referring to Henning not Bad Cat. Somehow this thread became about that rather than Bad Cat's. I didn't like much any of the Bad Cat's I've tried either and I've played quite a few
Thanks for clarifying. I was confused obviously and pretty darn sure I was drunk.

I meant that double checking from two different sources was being responsible for verifying the facts.

Gotcha

Back