I have to get this off of my chest…..I cheat……

guitarplayer

Having short fingers, I’ve always had to do work arounds on those stretches. Sounded just as good. No one noticed. Then I found myself doing my own work arounds on numerous songs….sounded the same, no one noticed. Then it became a game….how can I play this song, this chord riff in an easier way and still sound very close to the original. Now, I’m a master at it.

Ive had “players” kind of look confused and say, “Oh, you play that different than I do, hum, sounds the same, which is the real way? I was taught to play it like this…hummmmm, your way is easier, but ……….now I’m not sure…..

So, now I feel better after confessing my sin. But I’m going to keep doing it.

I do the same thing, with certain weak spots in my playing, like 2nps pentatonics and stuff.

Although, I have absolutely enormous hands so I cheat on tapping and stuff like that.

I play Mr Crowley and yngwie style picked arpeggios with massive intervals simply because I can get away with it.

I think we all do this, to an extent.

Music is entirely aesthetic. If it sounds good, it is good. If what comes out of the speakers is what you want to hear, then however you got there is entirely valid. If it works, it works.

Don't let assholes slow you down with meaningless notions like "musical integrity," such as only recording "live" in a full band setting, not using multiple takes, not using EQ because that's somehow "dishonest" or whatever, or that playing some specific part only counts if it's played in exactly one acceptable way, etc.

If it works for you, it works. As long as it doesn't hurt anybody, there's no need to feel guilty about any musical choice you will ever make. :)

I cheat because I’m mostly self taught and more often that not have no fuckin clue what I’m doing. I’m stuck in a canyon size rut anyway so…
I’m sick of chasing gear and learning new songs (covers anyway) doesn’t appeal to me. Dunno

Are you sure you're down here too? I didn't see you.. this canyon is much bigger than I thought! Maybe a different canyon? 😄 🤣
I’m here brother. I’ll listen for your screams.
It’s kind of scary, next year will be 40 years playing with about 13 years of gigging and for the first time I’m seriously pondering hanging it up.

I’m here brother. I’ll listen for your screams.
It’s kind of scary, next year will be 40 years playing with about 13 years of gigging and for the first time I’m seriously pondering hanging it up.
I’m still playing Jumpin Jack Flash, Alice Cooper, Cream…….

Are you sure you're down here too? I didn't see you.. this canyon is much bigger than I thought! Maybe a different canyon? 😄 🤣

Man, i'm in a technical ability growth canyon, but my writing just keeps going and going.

What has put you guys in a slump?

Man, i'm in a technical ability growth canyon, but my writing just keeps going and going.

What has put you guys in a slump?
Honestly, lack of playing with other people. The last time I gigged was 1997. Then entered into a career that wasn’t conducive to it. I’m out of that now but really don’t know how to get it rolling again.

Honestly, lack of playing with other people. The last time I gigged was 1997. Then entered into a career that wasn’t conducive to it. I’m out of that now but really don’t know how to get it rolling again.

Well shit man, do you have decent recording stuff? Do a solo on one of my demos or something.

I'm constantly writing riffs for my band, solo stuff and just for fun.

My plateau is that I cannot shred at the level I'd like to.

Well, that certainly is a place that alot of us find ourselves in. The only thing that helped me as far as that goes, is finding troy grady on youtube years and years ago, applying pickslanting techniques, and woodshedding the shit out of the guitar for hours everyday, unfortunately. And not everyone has that kind of time. I had hit a pretty shitty "shred" speed limit, and it was because of small technique stuff. But even then, it wasn't immediate - I had to woodshed for a long time after fixing my bad technique to see real results.

Depending on the level you're at, it could be a technical thing like that, or it could be just because you dont have enough time to devote to it. (which i can relate to both)

I guess the TL:DR is, if youre a high level player already, the only real answer is to spend time woodshedding shred stuff.

Or, if you're more an intermediate guy, analyze your technique thoroughly to see if anything is holding you back, then spend a long time woodshedding shred stuff after youve done some research and fixed some technique stuff.

Man its hard to not sound condescending when giving thoughts and advice about something like this. If this comes off that way, it wasn't intended so at all.

Well, that certainly is a place that alot of us find ourselves in. The only thing that helped me as far as that goes, is finding troy grady on youtube years and years ago, applying pickslanting techniques, and woodshedding the shit out of the guitar for hours everyday, unfortunately. And not everyone has that kind of time. I had hit a pretty shitty "shred" speed limit, and it was because of small technique stuff. But even then, it wasn't immediate - I had to woodshed for a long time after fixing my bad technique to see real results.

Depending on the level you're at, it could be a technical thing like that, or it could be just because you dont have enough time to devote to it. (which i can relate to both)

I guess the TL:DR is, if youre a high level player already, the only real answer is to spend time woodshedding shred stuff.

Or, if you're more an intermediate guy, analyze your technique thoroughly to see if anything is holding you back, then spend a long time woodshedding shred stuff after youve done some research and fixed some technique stuff.

Man its hard to not sound condescending when giving thoughts and advice about something like this. If this comes off that way, it wasn't intended so at all.
Not condescending at all. I understand it. I have plenty of time, I just have a rolodex with a million excuses in it. I've watched all of Troy's videos that are available on YouTube. I've never pushed myself to purchase the lesson videos though. I can shred only one type of lick...

The very first lick. The 6nps lick the descends all the strings. I can do that no problem....because the lick on one string endims on an upstroke and lends itself to the next string smoothly) yet when it comes to any other kind of lick, my picking technique gets all jumbled up and prevents me from being able to do it. So I really need to woodshed economy picking at least, as well as other techniques.

Also, I know that my wrist Angle, and the way I hold the pick changes depending on the playing technique whether it's tremolo picking, or palm muted chugging, etc...my picking hand is always changing. Yet when I watch alot of pro players, their picking hand stays the same at all times.

Not condescending at all. I understand it. I have plenty of time, I just have a rolodex with a million excuses in it. I've watched all of Troy's videos that are available on YouTube. I've never pushed myself to purchase the lesson videos though. I can shred only one type of lick...

The very first lick. The 6nps lick the descends all the strings. I can do that no problem....because the lick on one string endims on an upstroke and lends itself to the next string smoothly) yet when it comes to any other kind of lick, my picking technique gets all jumbled up and prevents me from being able to do it. So I really need to woodshed economy picking at least, as well as other techniques.

Also, I know that my wrist Angle, and the way I hold the pick changes depending on the playing technique whether it's tremolo picking, or palm muted chugging, etc...my picking hand is always changing. Yet when I watch alot of pro players, their picking hand stays the same at all times.

So almost all the phrases and terms for doing this stuff like "economy picking" or "adding carefully placed legato notes" or "strict alternate picking" are invariably mechanical solutions to that very up/downstroke picking problem. All the different styles and flavors of shredding are basically the different mechanical solutions to those problems.

And I wouldnt say you have to buy grady's course material - i didn't have to. Once I figured out that it was the picking thing holding me back, i reverse engineered my own technique to break through the barrier. But from what I've heard, a lot of people have said it was worth it. There's other great technique guys online too, like levy clay, martin miller, etc.

If you have time that's the main hurdle honestly, so I would say go for it man. Use this time you have to get better.

Notes are notes. As long as you don't play my bass notes on your 8 string guitar, we're good.

Back