5150 Iconic

I almost bought one tonight but came to my senses after playing my 5151 and Axe FX for a bit. I can only assume they sound cool. Hard to see EVH having a huge fail. The demo sounded along the lines of the 5153EL34, and that amp crushes.

I will pass, but not too horrible for the price. I would still choose the Marshall DSL100 reissue. You are not going to get $$$$ tone for under a grand in a brand new high wattage tube head these days. Most kids on a limited budget will look at it with stars in their eyes.

It might be a bad mic setup but the facts are it has two 12ax7's in it. One for a phase inverter leaves one tube with two gain stages for distortion.
At best it's as good as a valvestate or jcm900.

It might be a bad mic setup but the facts are it has two 12ax7's in it. One for a phase inverter leaves one tube with two gain stages for distortion.
At best it's as good as a valvestate or jcm900.
Speculation is that it may have an odd solid state PI.

I’m sure it will sound fine for the coin. It will sell well Just a new high gain amp for a reasonable price.

I’ll wait for final judgement. I guess most importantly to what genre of guitar players is this marketed

Look here is F Drop Z tuning.

There.

Now for what it is actually aiming at. Eddie's tone on isolated tracks. The 5150III doesn't do it. Hence the complaints.

Stick an EVH flanger in front.

Eddie's tone cheap.

The 5150III wasn't made to cop Eddie's Plexi tones. Who would ever think that it was???

Well, Eddie was playing on them when they first came out. It was a 6L6. Some people complained it didn't sound like Eddie or a Marshall.

So Fender did the EL34 version which leaned more in the direction of Marshall and Eddie's tone and some people got there but plenty didn't.

So when I heard the 5150 Iconic was coming out it made sense they would try to sell this as Eddie's tone for those who wanted that.

Which explains why that demo and not Carcass x Fleshgod Apocalypse.

I’ve never preordered any amp and never pay retail for anything. I’ll try one for $350 used in six months if i don’t get a chance sooner. I know how fickle you goobs are here and I’m sure some of you will probably be loving the amp once you play one. Derp! Derp! Chug! Chug! 🙄
Bloodrock is by far and away the cheapest cheapskate of all my friends.
He will wait till I score a used one for $700 and it will wind up at his house.
We will have a blast with it,I am sure of it.

Sounds like a mic’d up 5150 to me…. This is honestly just what a raw mic’d up high gain tone sounds like homies… sure you could mic it “better” I guess, but that’s a relative statement based on what you wanna hear. But, that’s basically what it will sound like me thinks….

on that note, not a fan at all of what the built in boost sounds like personally....He used probably slightly too much gain for my tastes in the beginning but that's again, personal taste.

The bald one finger power chord guy demo makes it sound much more like a normal 5150/6505 and not someones balls slapping a cardboard box - even though it's probably a camera phone recording, it sounds much, much better.

It is what it is; a new EVH amp that retails for hundreds less than the 5153 50w versions. All of the EVH amps sound similar to me; that fake ass plasticky thing. Just my opinion; but I get far better tone with a 150$ 1988 RG50 combo I recently grabbed. Short of one of those, I’d take any cheapo DSL over any EVH.
But that’s just me….YMMV.

the Fluff video sounds quite decent to me actually :dunno: no, im not selling any of my amps for one but like he said if i was 20 again and needed a new amp for $900 in 2022 that dosent seem to bad

Agreed, it's not bigfoots dick bad like the official demo, but it's not great either.

Still sounds congested and honky at the same time, and weirdly sterile compared to all the "normal" 5150 variations.

I still think anyone who wants that tone should get a 6505 or something instead 😬

But holy God I want to know how they miced up that original demo, that's amazingly bad

Back