Gibson Guitars Fret Wire Re-sizing

Mark Skid

Many have noticed that Gibson has downsized the fret wire, yet they continue to refer to the wire size as "medium jumbo". I recently sold two Gibson '57 LP Historic models, due to the new fret sizing. At first, I couldn't figure out why I wasn't digging these guitars? I've owned Gibson Historic models in the past, and never had an issue with their playability. The neck sizing was a bit funky, but playability was never an issue.

Last edited:
The narrow/tall fret wire on newer 54-58 reissues is supposedly for “historical accuracy”. The ‘59 and ‘60 reissues still have medium jumbo wire. I have a ‘56 and ’57 with the smaller frets, it doesn’t really bother me but I do feel a difference compared to my ‘59.

The narrow/tall fret wire on newer 54-58 reissues is supposedly for “historical accuracy”. The ‘59 and ‘60 reissues still have medium jumbo wire. I have a ‘56 and ’57 with the smaller frets, it doesn’t really bother me but I do feel a difference compared to my ‘59.
Good to know. I'll assume the '68 LPC reissue is getting the same frets as the '59?

Back