Long Time coming...need some more "in the room" reviews!

I've been thinking about this for awhile now....and we just need more "in the room" type reviews. I might step up to the plate on this. I appreciate all the paid or sponsored gear reviewers out there, but the post processing mixes are getting old to me, and doesn't sound like the products that are "so awesome." Cmon man! Not everything sounds like that or similar.

"In the Room" mics are necessary. Not optional.

Rant done. Love ya'll. Peace.

You should do some vids man. That Borealis vid you did was AWESOME!! Love that song!! And your playing was killer. Do more!

You should do some vids man. That Borealis vid you did was AWESOME!! Love that song!! And your playing was killer. Do more!
Took all my videos off youtube. I had a fit one day with all the censorship...but maybe I'll do some more and use another. Borealis do rock. Hopefully a new album is in the works?

Do it mang!

I just might - I have some holiday time off. I just need to do some messing around with room mics to see what gives the most "in the room" sounding results.

Unfortunately, I only have one super high gain amp 😂

Edit: do you guys think I should combine a phone camera mic with close/room mics? Or is the compression of the camera mic too misleading?

I'm talking about something like this, blended with real mics

Last edited:
I just might - I have some holiday time off. I just need to do some messing around with room mics to see what gives the most "in the room" sounding results.

Unfortunately, I only have one super high gain amp 😂

Edit: do you guys think I should combine a phone camera mic with close/room mics? Or is the compression of the camera mic too misleading?

I'm talking about something like this, blended with real mics

Close mic with a touch of room mic, or close only. It really is the only way to go if you want to showcase the amp. If it's for riffs and fun, a phone is fine.

Close mic with a touch of room mic, or close only. It really is the only way to go if you want to showcase the amp. If it's for riffs and fun, a phone is fine.
Right but the point of this post was "in the room" sounds, not "showcasing the amp" sounds - I already do tons of close micing for recording purposes.

Right but the point of this post was "in the room" sounds, not "showcasing the amp" sounds - I already do tons of close micing for recording purposes.
My bad. I can't help with that, I'm a close miker through and through.

As you do both, what do you prefer to listen to for enjoyment, and on what? Seems it's quite a divisive topic. For me showcasing an amp, enjoying good tone and close-miking are all one and the same!

My bad. I can't help with that, I'm a close miker through and through.

As you do both, what do you prefer to listen to for enjoyment, and on what? Seems it's quite a divisive topic. For me showcasing an amp, enjoying good tone and close-miking are all one and the same!

Actually, I generally preferred close miced stuff, for amplifier showcasing, until the advent and propagation of easily available IRs - it's the "sameness" of everyone's sounds using said IRs that I think feeds people's appetites for more "in the room" sounds. I still will only use close micing for recording my demo tracks and songs and such.

But, I've been doing some experimenting with room mics/placement and camera mic/placement because of this thread - I'm just curious as to what would give people the most accurate "in the room" impression that people seem to be looking for.

I generally listen on studio monitors or a decent hifi system if I'm really trying to get an idea of what an amp sounds like from a clip, and I generally look for both close miced, but also camera phone clips - mostly because almost all close miced clips arent really "miced," they are the same 4 IRs that literally everyone seems to use. And either through annoyance or repetition, it's hard for me to get a decent idea of how the amp sounds if it's that same mesa OS v30 4x12/sm57 IR that everyone in the universe uses.

Yeah I'm not a fan of using IR's for amp demos either. Some IR's are even made with additional outboard eq, which makes them even worse for that purpose. I'm not knocking IR's because they serve a purpose, but I don't find them useful in amp demo scenarios either. As for the produced sounding in the mix amp demos with mic'd amps, I don't mind those IF there is a portion of the demo that has some raw unprocessed mic'd clip/playthrough of the guitars.

I will always prefer a mic'd up cab to an "in the room" style clip because they are more accurate (or least should be more accurate haha) for hearing how they'll sound under a mic, but in keeping with the spirit of the thread here's short in the room clip I did a few months back.

Yeah I'm not a fan of using IR's for amp demos either. Some IR's are even made with additional outboard eq, which makes them even worse for that purpose. I'm not knocking IR's because they serve a purpose, but I don't find them useful in amp demo scenarios either. As for the produced sounding in the mix amp demos with mic'd amps, I don't mind those IF there is a portion of the demo that has some raw unprocessed mic'd clip/playthrough of the guitars.

I will always prefer a mic'd up cab to an "in the room" style clip because they are more accurate (or least should be more accurate haha) for hearing how they'll sound under a mic, but in keeping with the spirit of the thread here's short in the room clip I did a few months back.

Holy fuck that amp is toooo tight. Sounds good for your style. I did buy a fortin 1987x back in the day. Sold it fast. Was just too tight for me. I like more sag/giv for sure.

Holy fuck that amp is toooo tight. Sounds good for your style. I did buy a fortin 1987x back in the day. Sold it fast. Was just too tight for me. I like more sag/giv for sure.
Haha yeah I had it dialed in tight there. It can be dialed in looser, though. But yeah, if I want more give I’ll reach for something else.

ive bought amps based on iphone clips, i dont think i ever heard a "real" cameron clip till i recorded mine. do i want more iphone vids though?? no lol. for $150 you can have a 2i2 and a 57 and be recording for real

I was watching a demo of an amp (with IR) on some well known YouTube channel. Sounded great! Then watched a different amp review on the same channel. Sounded identical. Then another amp review, sounded identical as well. Makes me wonder what I am hearing the most, the sound of the amp or the IR?

I've been thinking about this for awhile now....and we just need more "in the room" type reviews. I might step up to the plate on this. I appreciate all the paid or sponsored gear reviewers out there, but the post processing mixes are getting old to me, and doesn't sound like the products that are "so awesome." Cmon man! Not everything sounds like that or similar.

"In the Room" mics are necessary. Not optional.

Rant done. Love ya'll. Peace.
Bob Gjika takes this to the extreme!

“Man, and machine.”

[Centurions]

🤪

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCA9v7CCF6xsaCNDeGDH6e3g

But, I've been doing some experimenting with room mics/placement and camera mic/placement because of this thread - I'm just curious as to what would give people the most accurate "in the room" impression that people seem to be looking for.

I use a Tascam DR-44WL field recorder for "in the room" stuff....works fucking great. You can actually hook up to two external mics to it for close miking as well, so you can get up to four different mic sources in one tiny lil box

I'm curious whether video production shotgun mics would work for miking cabs at a distance. So you can get some room sound, but not too much reflection like you get from phone mics or omni mics. We have a few Rode NTG's at work and I might try it out on cabs.

Back