5150 Iconic does the Brown Sound

Someone posted that Ed actually wanted this amp to be less modern, less like the 5150 and more in the vein of his 12301 amp but with more gain.

Well..................................................

I hear alot of plexi clank in the gain structure with this amp so maybe that statement is true maybe it's not.

I hear the opposite. Even more preamp dependent gain and sounds like a 5150 overdrive or distortion pedal. It's just gain.

The amp is tighter because of the SS components in the preamp obviously. Those complaining should realize the EVH amps with 6 preamp tubes get zero gain from the power section either. One you Get past 3 or 4 preamp tubes, you’re getting basically no benefit from having a tube preamp. Lol! Just more saturated mushy gain. At least the SS components tighten up the sound without much tonal change. Same as using a boost to tighten up the more expensive all tube versions.

The amp is tighter because of the SS components in the preamp obviously. Those complaining should realize the EVH amps with 6 preamp tubes get zero gain from the power section either. One you Get past 3 or 4 preamp tubes, you’re getting basically no benefit from having a tube preamp. Lol! Just more saturated mushy gain. At least the SS components tighten up the sound without much tonal change. Same as using a boost to tighten up the more expensive all tube versions.
My question is why release this thing then? Why not just stick with the current evh line? Sounds like they voiced it similarly they just replaced tubes with fets? And wanted w reason to throw 5150 on something again. They coukd have hot rodded a plexi and given it the tits feature wise and thrown that logo on there. Now THAT would have been " iconic"

My question is why release this thing then? Why not just stick with the current evh line? Sounds like they voiced it similarly they just replaced tubes with fets? And wanted w reason to throw 5150 on something again. They coukd have hot rodded a plexi and given it the tits feature wise and thrown that logo on there. Now THAT would have been " iconic"
It just hits a new price point and is voiced differently than the 5153s. With at least six versions of the 5153 out there already, I think we're way past the point of the EVH brand just sticking with something rather than introduce a new variation on the theme.

It does seem odd there's not been a Plexi type EVH sig, but he's been at this since 1992 and it never happened and at this point itd be a terrible cash grab since it seems clear that he never wanted that as a sig amp.

It just hits a new price point and is voiced differently than the 5153s. With at least six versions of the 5153 out there already, I think we're way past the point of the EVH brand just sticking with something rather than introduce a new variation on the theme.

It does seem odd there's not been a Plexi type EVH sig, but he's been at this since 1992 and it never happened and at this point itd be a terrible cash grab since it seems clear that he never wanted that as a sig amp.

That's a good point. Explains why once he got a taste of a slo that it just went up from there.. the iconic plexi would be something that WE would want rather than a brand that could keep making $.

Wonder how good the combo sounds? I've been looking for a Plexi amp to compliment my 2204.. might have to give this one a try. I've really only seen the videos this guy has made and he is a much better guitar player than most so that might have something to do with it too.

Ola Englund did a "Will it Chug?" video of the Iconic combo....sounded rad to me

Back