Actually good female guitarists?

I think Nita Strauss gives women guitar players a bad name. Skill wise, she's by no means a beginner, but she is clearly, clearly nowhere near as technically skilled or as emotionally expressive through her instrument as all her marketing and career framing would suggest she is. Her music frames her as some technical virtuoso but she is an intermediate player at best, even though her music is structured entirely to show off what a "gunslinger" of a guitar player she is, when she simply doesn't have the feel to support that kind of playing. She's a real example of somebody who truly has achieved what she has almost entirely because she's hot.

To further make my point, I challenge you to name any male guitar player considered a virtuoso who is technically a worse player than Nita.

As for something positive, I do think Lari Basilio is an excellent player. She really knows her strengths and plays well to them, she's expressive as hell and her music is great. I still go back and listen to a dumb little video she did on the JHS AT+ pedal, lol. It's a simple little jam but damn it's great and makes me smile every time I hear it.

I think Nita Strauss is a joke. They try to market her as a blonde goddess of shred guitar. I would say she at the very best, she is an intermediate player. Didnt she get an Ibanez sig model? Actually, so did Lari Basillio who plays circles around Strauss. But, Ibanez spends a ton more promoting Strauss. Sadly, her looks play a more important part for her guitar playing than her actual guitar playing. I don’t find her hot myself. But, her sig models probably outsell Basillio’s 10 to 1. Basillio is a straight up very good player.

No offense, but Nili Brosh is better than anyone on this or any forum and most players on the planet. Her brother Ethan is awesome and she still smokes him. I think Pete Thorn is the guy that everyone wets their pants over on TGP and Nili would wipe the floor with him.

Last edited:
Is she the girl that used to play the Vigier? She was young.

One thing I noticed on Instagram is pretty girls, “playing along,” to complex guitar songs. You can hear the song but you can’t hear the slightest bit of their playing. One girl played a Jason Becker song and you could not hear the slightest hint of her guitar, yet in the comments she was hailed as a guitar god of the highest order. I can’t stand that shit. Play the guitar so we can hear it. It’s the equivalent of lip syncing. It’s a joke. I left a comment on one that said, “play it by yourself without the real song so we can hear you play,” and people went nuts on me and got super mad that I would dare question her talent. You could tell by watching her fingers that if we heard her play that it would be nothing short of atrocious.

But, Lari Basillio, and Nilly Brosch are great players. And if Tina S is the girl I am thinking of, she was really good for being so young. I think I read that she was a violin prodigy before taking up shredding on electric. I think she might have been French, but I have no clue if she died. That would awful. But, I haven’t seen a video by her in many years.
Yep, you're exactly right...it's difficult to evaluate someone's playing when they're playing along with the actual recording. It's like when you read a sentence or paragraph with certain missing words but still know exactly what it says because your brain fills in the missing information. The actual recording can trick your brain by filling in the gaps and you wind up thinking the player absolutely nailed it.

Don't forget Joan Jett, Rolling stone named her in the top 100 greatest guitarists. :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• AR-708209980.jpg&updated=201308191130&MaxW=900&maxH=900&noborder&Q=80.jpg
    AR-708209980.jpg&updated=201308191130&MaxW=900&maxH=900&noborder&Q=80.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 22
Did anybody mention Orianthi ? Same as Nita...not the greatest guitarist (still better than 98% of rig-talkers or TGPer :) ) on the world but they have influence on young female players and this is what counts. No need for hate.

I don't think so mate.

If MJ hadn't have died when he did, she'd have done the "This is it" tour and I'm bettin' inspired a whole lotta young gals to take up geetar.

Back