Shipping complaining…

Ho Lee Fuk shipping is expensive these days. Shipped an eleven pound Mark V:25….$80! Insane. That’s all.
I see that FedEx Ground went up 7.5-8% from 12/31/21. A single speaker in my usual packing was going to cost $20.22 to go from Arizona to Nor Cal. By the time it shipped this week it cost $21.88 USD.

I really don’t have too much issue with increases in prices. What bothers me is paying NDA and then my stuff sits at our local distribution center for 3 days before delivery.

I shipped an amp mid last year and was expecting to pay $150 or so to do it. Walked into the local Office Max and hit up the FedEx shipping center. Girl who rang me up must have been new because it ended up costing $36! I was sweating a bit thinking that the amp wouldn't arrive but all was well.

I don't get it. I shipped a 50lb Marshall head insured for $2500 with signature required from Pa to TX and it only cost $86. I did it online in my UPS account and dropped it off at the local hub.
That’s not typical. I have a FedEx business account so I get discounted rates. I pack myself, create labels online and drop off at a local FedEx location. I can say that $86 was an average price a couple years ago. Now it’s $125-140 typically for an amp.

Some routes will be cheaper, East vs West, which state etc… it seems like every time I need to ship something it’s at least 3/4 across the US. Just the way it works out. I’m in CA. Most gear goes to the Midwest or east coast, oddly enough.

Just had my old Marshall shipped from Burbank to Nashville, insured for 4k by UPS Ground, with a business account, in a road case, for $186.00

You have to watch.The first price was 336. Then I sifted through options to find that was their recommendation which was like 2 day shipping. I had to manually select UPS ground which was 4 days and it went down to 86. Also if your using a shipping store like Staples or the UPS store you will get bent over hard with no lube. Make yourself an online account,print your label and drop it off yourself
They’ve said many times if you make the label and drop it off for shipment with insurance you’re not going to get it insured should something happen to it. You might as well throw the insurance money in the trash. If you want to make your own label, you have to hand it yourself to a delivery driver for pickup. If you print the label and hand it off to a store front, the insurance is null and void. If you want it actually insured, you pay the store costs and insurance fee.

They’ve said many times if you make the label and drop it off for shipment with insurance you’re not going to get it insured should something happen to it. You might as well throw the insurance money in the trash. If you want to make your own label, you have to hand it yourself to a delivery driver for pickup. If you print the label and hand it off to a store front, the insurance is null and void. If you want it actually insured, you pay the store costs and insurance fee.
I took it to the UPS hub,handed it over the counter to an employee who signed the required paperwork for the insurance.

Yep that also works. It has to be an actual UPS hub and not a franchise store of UPS (or FedEx).
Not true. I had a package disappear during delivery that I printed a label for and dropped off at The UPS Store and got my money back. It took a lot of leg work on my end but I got it. I’m pretty sure that’s typical though. They definitely don’t want to make it easy.

I know there are some wealthy gents on here. Let's go into business. High End Amp Delivery service. Gimme a van and I will travel around the country picking up and delivering high end amps. You'll never have to worry again. Of course with gas prices being high it will probably cost $500 an amp to ship but can you really put a price on tone?

Not true. I had a package disappear during delivery that I printed a label for and dropped off at The UPS Store and got my money back. It took a lot of leg work on my end but I got it. I’m pretty sure that’s typical though. They definitely don’t want to make it easy.
A UPS hub and a UPS store aren’t the same last time I checked. A hub is like a delivery checkpoint drivers pull up to load in/out and is UPS owned and operated. The latter are the franchise stores I mentioned prior that aren’t UPS owned and operated.

Last edited:
A UPS hub and a UPS store aren’t the same last time I checked. A hub is like a delivery checkpoint drivers pull up to load in/out and is UPS owned and operated. The latter are the franchise stores I mentioned prior that aren’t UPS owned and operated.
Yes, I know how the hub and stores work, I was just stating what happened to me. I always heard the same about the store not backing your insurance. The item was only $200. If it were a $2K amp than you are correct it needs to go to the hub

I know there are some wealthy gents on here. Let's go into business. High End Amp Delivery service. Gimme a van and I will travel around the country picking up and delivering high end amps. You'll never have to worry again. Of course with gas prices being high it will probably cost $500 an amp to ship but can you really put a price on tone?
Sign me up to be a driver!

Back