Actually good female guitarists?

Allison Robertson of The Donnas anyone? There’s a great video of them live in Toronto. It wasn’t groundbreaking stuff but they were putting out original material that actually rocked. Let’s face it, you never had to be super technically talented. Just talented enough and be able to craft songs people re-listen to. Being attractive helps sure - the world isn’t fair. I sent some friends a live video of Prince and all they responded back with was “look at those dancers”. 🤷🏻‍♂️

From 1985, so a bit dated. My late friend Ronni Crooks. First female Vigier Guitars endorser. Playing a Steinberger here. She also used a Mesa MK II, not sure which version. Check out the solo 40 minutes in. Also, the 2nd tune at 4:22

Hammett is actually conan compared to this

15dz7w7zj2w21.jpg

Last edited:
No offense, but Nili Brosh is better than anyone on this or any forum and most players on the planet. Her brother Ethan is awesome and she still smokes him. I think Pete Thorn is the guy that everyone wets their pants over on TGP and Nili would wipe the floor with him.

Nili is a great player but you’re making some pretty big statements here dude. Enjoy her videos, maybe don’t stroke to her so much.

Nili is a great player but you’re making some pretty big statements here dude. Enjoy her videos, maybe don’t stroke to her so much.
I disagree. Vintage Guitar voted her Matter of Perception record Prog album of the year. She has played with Tony MacAlpine and other great muscians over the years. I see guys on the internet who think they are so amazing and she makes them look like they are wearing a freaking dress. If you are a better player than her, I would love to hear some of your stuff. I always dig hearing great players. I saw her brother Ethan open for Yngwie years ago and was very impressed. I later heard him on a podcast and then found out he had a sister that played. When I heard her I was even more impressed. Tony MacAlpine is one of my all time favorite players and Nili crushed it when she was in his band. I am not trying to offend anyone. I just think Nili should get the respect she deserves. If people heard her playing and did not know it was a girl playing there would most likely be less bias toward what they are hearing.

I disagree. Vintage Guitar voted her Matter of Perception record Prog album of the year. She has played with Tony MacAlpine and other great muscians over the years. I see guys on the internet who think they are so amazing and she makes them look like they are wearing a freaking dress. If you are a better player than her, I would love to hear some of your stuff. I always dig hearing great players. I saw her brother Ethan open for Yngwie years ago and was very impressed. I later heard him on a podcast and then found out he had a sister that played. When I heard her I was even more impressed. Tony MacAlpine is one of my all time favorite players and Nili crushed it when she was in his band. I am not trying to offend anyone. I just think Nili should get the respect she deserves. If people heard her playing and did not know it was a girl playing there would most likely be less bias toward what they are hearing.
I could care less what vintage guitar said about her, I have my own ears and I’ll give the album a listen and make my own decision. You clearly idolize the girl and that’s fine, just kind of dickheaded to say she’s so much better then anyone on this forum and other forum and the comparison to Pete thorn. Good day

I said the same thing. And female guitarist have to kinda Bow down to her since she is pretty much the top dog. But yeah she isn't anything special. I pissed her off by saying that her posters for Ibanez look like beer ads or something to that affect. It's like you are a so called role model for young girl guitarist but all your promo pics looks like a stripper
Clearly, neither of you have seen her live. She rips.

I could care less what vintage guitar said about her, I have my own ears and I’ll give the album a listen and make my own decision. You clearly idolize the girl and that’s fine, just kind of dickheaded to say she’s so much better then anyone on this forum and other forum and the comparison to Pete thorn. Good day
Opinions Vary. And I would not hold my breath about Pete Thorn being able to cut it in Tony MacAlpine's band. I do not idolize Nili. I do think she is an amazing player. And I will agree with you that I should not have said that. I know there are plenty of great players on here that I have heard and many I have not heard who may be amazing. I have heard Peter Thorn's records and he is a solid player and I watch his pedal videos sometimes. You have a good day as well.

Last edited:
Not really a shredder. But my vote is for Joan Jett!! Bad as chick that rocks! She’s just got ‘it’ when comes to rocking out. Saw her live couple years back. Just stellar show.

Attachments

• FE13B5EE-5ED4-469C-B0C1-F8F778A3CB88.jpeg
    FE13B5EE-5ED4-469C-B0C1-F8F778A3CB88.jpeg
    355.7 KB · Views: 18
I mean it's perfectly OK not to be a fan of a particular guitarist for their playing style or how they present themselves. Saying it's jealousy is a bit of a stretch not everyone wants to be a professional musician. I think Michael Bay is a shit director. Doesn't mean I'm jealous that he can direct and made a killing doing it.

I guess my dislike of Nita isn't as much her fault as it is the media. They put her on a pedalstool at the expense of other great female guitarist. Nili Brosh has shared the stage with Steve Vai and played with Dethklok but doesn't get 1 twentieth of the attention that Nita does. The only logical reason is that Nili isn't on every photoshoot in a sports bra. Alice Cooper has like 3-4 live guitarist but she is the only one that gets a mention. I get it bleach blondes sell magazines. It's kind of a gimmick that isn't unique to pop stars.
Maybe those other ladies should get a better management team and publicist around them and go on the road non-stop. as AC/DC said, “It’s a long way to the top, if you want to Rock’n’Roll.”

Back