Why is your rig the best?

I do love a good Mesa…the last time I gigged one was 7 years back, when my first C+ was still a C. I honestly don’t think I’ve ever heard a better tone …open, raw just unreal. I gigged 2x with it, but it was a challenge hearing it and I’m the only GP in my old band. What a great tone…but even boosted for more mids it struggled. Of course I +’d it but it honestly lost something when I did. Still great as a C+ though.

I do love a good Mesa…the last time I gigged one was 7 years back, when my first C+ was still a C. I honestly don’t think I’ve ever heard a better tone …open, raw just unreal. I gigged 2x with it, but it was a challenge hearing it and I’m the only GP in my old band. What a great tone…but even boosted for more mids it struggled. Of course I +’d it but it honestly lost something when I did. Still great as a C+ though.
In my friends’ re-amp I was surprised how well my Triple Rev F/C did in the mix. I was worried it might not do well because of how dark sounding it is, but it was one of our favs for his music. We didn’t even boost it or anything

My rig is far from the best….

I have enough that I can start a band back up though. Run my amp dry and I have a delay I can click on for solos. Super stripped down and simple.

I have various amps for different flavors of Marshall voicing which I prefer.

I do desire a rack setup and midi to allow easier control of my rig, but the core tones are there which I’ve worked hard to find and save for over the years in various amps.

I also found last year a large part of my tone was a good LPC. It was so essential I snagged a second for an EMG flavor.

My rig is far from the best….

I have enough that I can start a band back up though. Run my amp dry and I have a delay I can click on for solos. Super stripped down and simple.

I have various amps for different flavors of Marshall voicing which I prefer.

I do desire a rack setup and midi to allow easier control of my rig, but the core tones are there which I’ve worked hard to find and save for over the years in various amps.

I also found last year a large part of my tone was a good LPC. It was so essential I snagged a second for an EMG flavor.

Yeah i've recently started going down that exact rack path. I've got the other parts (les paul, larry) covered and know they're right. It's just a matter of finding the right combination of control and effects from the rack+pedals. Even as is, I play gigs with my imperfect solutions, lol.

Had tons of amps, pedals and processors over the years, but in August bought 5150iii 6L6 and it seems like that's all I need + my trusty DD2 into the loop...at least for now ))

My rig is the best because it’s as small as I can get it without using digital floor processors straight to house and it sounds mean as hell.

9/13/2021 by John Bazzano, on Flickr

*First of all, I play metal so if you play country or jazz, you will have a totally different set of guidelines and can go start your own thread about haunting mids, tan pants and woody warmth.*

This rig is the best there is and here's why in order of importance-

1) The low end - sledgehammer chest pounding tightness and it chugs like no other! I can spend hours playing morse code on my E string.
2) Gain - so much gain that turning it up to ten is stupid amounts o' gain and then some. Boost pedal, funny funny, hah hah, nope.
3) Compression - near zero, pick attack is most important, clarity and note definition is as important as hygiene is.
4) Artifacts like hum and hiss - no mother-fucking gate. It is the absolute stupidest pedal there is. It negates all the above. There is no such thing as zero latency, it can't be done, impossible. My rig is pretty much dead silent when idling at band volume and gain is very very high.
5) No tone sucking pedals - I can plug straight in to the amp and it sounds the same as through the pedals.
6) Two amps in one - Yeah. A Mark llC+ and a Mark III.
7) Light weight and easy to set up - I have a custom snake and it takes no longer to set up than a regular head/cabinet rig to get ready. The power amp is stereo and I can run 4, 8 ohm cabinets if I want, and I want.

A Dumble amp, what the fuck does a Dumble do for you? Nothing I'd want and it can't do this ^. I'd like to try a Larry some day because I've never tried one, but that's about all. I've owned or have tried just about every amp on the market so I do know tone and have been lucky enough, and rich enough to own several amps at once to do direct, in room, comparisons.

I'm positive you think your rig is better, so let's hear why.

My rig is better because I have the same preamp into a bigger poweramp and bigger cabs and we all know bigger is better! I have the 2:90 power amp and a couple of Mesa 2x12s. It sounds glorious. I need to clean stuff up to take a proper pic though......so someday.

So, how much credibility do I lose if I wear some tan pants while I play metal through my rig? I'm tempted just to see if I create a singularity in the universe or something.

I do violate this by occasionally punching the front end with an OD pedal, and also I have a wah so I can channel my inner Hammett!

...and I replied "Dumble? Really?" and everyone laughed. "Welcome to 1998, a bad year for boats and champagne".
82DB9031-601F-4B02-B944-80FCD5042AB7.jpeg

My rig (s) are the best for me!
Rig 1 -Slo 100 Boss SD-1 into front Freidman 4x12 cab loaded with Greenbacks and Line 6 HX for a little delay and verb in loop and also functions to switch amp chanels.

Rig 2 Friedman BE deluxe 100w same signal path as above for effects

Rig 3 Friedman Pink taco PT 20 same as above pedal board -indoor rig. :m17:

My rig (SD-1 into 2204 into 1960AV) is the best for me because I've owned nearly all the super fancy high gain amps and the SD-1/2204 is the only rig I keep going back to.

Though about this as I drove all night.
Obviously opinions will vary,which was the reason for the thread itself.
But give me a moment to expound n the idea...

I have 3 different "main" rigs.
A Marshall thrash setup.
A modern metal setup.
And my Dime rig.

My Dime rig is crazy. Took years to acquire everything. 3 matching Warhead stacks and 3 Randall X2 heads(Dime in a box).
Few have ever even seen pics of a setup like this, much less had one.
And note, I have the USA Washburn slime and Cross prototype to go with it.
It is MASSIVE in size and sound. Tight, heavy and brutal in both sound and sight.
All I added to it is a gate to silence that god awful hiss.
And honestly,this equipment is some of the rarest stuff out there. X2 head are crazy hard to find.
Not to mention in 2x15 cabs.
For its intended job, there is nothing better as far as that tone and simplicity.

But is it the best?
Not when compared to Dimes ACTUAL setup.
Doesn't matter that mine is the same as his(at one point).
I would still rather have his personal gear. What Dime fan wouldn't?
I was lucky to live in the same place and time to get to watch him from the beginning.
I played his first rig(Yamaha studio combo into Marshall cabs).
I got to play his bar rigs over the years with the early Randall stuff.
But as a fanboy,my setup is just the gear he helped create.

So it's not the best Dime setup ever.
It is just the best one available to me.

Yeah i've recently started going down that exact rack path. I've got the other parts (les paul, larry) covered and know they're right. It's just a matter of finding the right combination of control and effects from the rack+pedals. Even as is, I play gigs with my imperfect solutions, lol.
It’s really, really hard.

I’ve got a delay pedal I love, and a reverb I love but the PCM81 needs a really good line mixer to make the most use out of it. Then there’s the issue that I want an all analog front end for crunch and lead with the ability to use various effects in the back end, but also have the ability to switch to an all digital preamp signal ala 2CM on the fly for a clean tone utilizing only the power section of my amp(s) through effects returns. I’d love nothing more than to be able to go from digital clean to all tube lead/crunch on the fly.

What i want doesn’t exist and is a pain to plan out. Whatever I choose rack wise needs to be universal for all of my amps with effects loops.

It’s really, really hard.

I’ve got a delay pedal I love, and a reverb I love but the PCM81 needs a really good line mixer to make the most use out of it. Then there’s the issue that I want an all analog front end for crunch and lead with the ability to use various effects in the back end, but also have the ability to switch to an all digital preamp signal ala 2CM on the fly for a clean tone utilizing only the power section of my amp(s) through effects returns. I’d love nothing more than to be able to go from digital clean to all tube lead/crunch on the fly.

What i want doesn’t exist and is a pain to plan out. Whatever I choose rack wise needs to be universal for all of my amps with effects loops.

Absolutely, this quandary is why I went the way of separate power amp for w/d/w - though I'm no expert, just feeling my way around in the dark.

It's going to be difficult finding a multi FX that will do what I want.

I think I'm going to end up racking most of my pedals because I don't really use gain pedals with the Larry anyways.

Back