Chubtone Necks?

ClintN667

Hey guys,
I pretty much have finished a spec sheet for a chubtone explorer build. I'm really excited cause I had a bitch of a time finding what I wanted and the fact that chubtone can do it in the U.S. at a reasonable price is fantastic. I definitely want to get a super strat from them after this one.

My question is for those of you guys who have gotten one, what are the neck profiles like? I chose the standard thin and it was between that or the modern C. If any of you guys own one can you compare it to other brands that would be great. I'm hoping to send the deposit in this week but it will likely be next week so I think this should be plenty of time to iron out the last few details.

The closest to me is the 08-09 Charvel Pro Mods and So Cals, but without the compound radius, mine are straight 12” as opposed to the 12-16” compound. I prefer the straight 12”.

The closest to me is the 08-09 Charvel Pro Mods and So Cals, but without the compound radius, mine are straight 12” as opposed to the 12-16” compound. I prefer the straight 12”.
12" is what I went with. I'm basically doing a black explorer without a pickguard with black hardware, stainless frets, and Seymour Duncan black winters. Stainless frets were my main motivation for getting a custom. It's a little bit more expensive than a Gibson so I hope it turns out nice.

Well it’s kinda apples to oranges, right ? The Gibson is set neck and 24.75 scale, the Chubtone will be bolt on and 25.5 scale, not huge differences but it is what it is. I think you’ll love it.

I’m getting this one on Friday - I loved those old pro mod guitars so I hope it’s the same neck
F113EA13-71A9-4F88-AD90-668B7C913E8D.jpeg

Well it’s kinda apples to oranges, right ? The Gibson is set neck and 24.75 scale, the Chubtone will be bolt on and 25.5 scale, not huge differences but it is what it is. I think you’ll love it.
Honestly I prefer 25.5 inch necks so that was a huge plus. I know they don't typically paint the necks but I'm hoping they can. I just can't picture a black explorer without a matching neck. At any rate I'm excited. Only problem I have is I can only put the deposit down on one guitar.

I went with the Vintage C and 12 radius

Curt and crew are experts on Charvels so if you're looking for a specific Charvel style neck, I'd trust their recommendation. I wanted something a little thicker but not baseball bat and the Vintage C is perfect. I can't take the super slim necks anymore, they cramp my hands up. Deciding on the neck was actually one of my holdups for awhile and so glad I chose that style. I cannot say enough good about my experience.

I like the #1 neck profile. I think the #2 profile is the vintage C, which is a little thicker. The current Charvel profiles are way too thin, and Chubtone are much better.

I went with the #1 profile and it's basically just like a classic Charvel or these like a Luxxtone. Just very comfortable like a great pair of worn in shoes.

BTW, I've been meaning to do a NGD, but my Chubtone arrived 4 months ago, so it's in no way new -- it's a replica of a Steve Stevens Hamer SS3, but with a standard neck vice the unmarked Birdseye of the original.

At any rate, it's my all time favorite guitar. If you look closely, only the front of the Dinky is white, the sides and back are black. :m17:

Attachments

• Chubtone SS3.jpg
    Chubtone SS3.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 58
I went with the #1 profile and it's basically just like a classic Charvel or these like a Luxxtone. Just very comfortable like a great pair of worn in shoes.

BTW, I've been meaning to do a NGD, but my Chubtone arrived 4 months ago, so it's in no way new -- it's a replica of a Steve Stevens Hamer SS3, but with a standard neck vice the unmarked Birdseye of the original.

At any rate, it's my all time favorite guitar. If you look closely, only the front of the Dinky is white, the sides and back are black. :m17:
Ah I spent some time looking at that one. Crazy cool paint job on it. Congrats!

I saw that. Awesome guitar~!

Back