Synergy module recommendation for heavy metal rhythm

MadAsAHatter

Yeah, I just got a new amp and am already thinking about another one; what's wrong with me? LOL In my defense I was already planning to do a Synergy setup too.

Excluding the Powerball and Savage modules (I'm planning on getting those eventually for another idea I have) what would you all recommend as modules for heavy metal rhythm along the lines of Metallica, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Motothead, etc.?
I'm wanting 2 modules that can cover this but are different enough to not have a lot of overlap in sound. I also don't care about cleans, I'm looking at dirt only. Currently the IICP, Pitbull, and Uberschall have my attention, but I don't know enough about the different modules to make a decision yet.

I just picked up a Vai module. Clean channel is great and takes pedals very well. I go between 3 dirt pedals depending on the tone I want. Revv G2 gives me that low gain Marshall crunch. My Revv G4 gives me Recto-esque high gain maddness. Great for both rhythm and lead. My Suhr Riot is great for that 80’s vibe and as close to a 3+ as I can find in a dirt box.

Then there's the gain side of the module. Depending on settings, you can get into Gained out Marshall territory or into that Vai/Carvin liquid legato tone.

Leon Todd did a great demo if you care to watch.

I have a Powerball and its a great all-around module. Sounds enormous and thunderous when I’ve gotten the volume up high :)

However, my favourite module is the SLO.

Here is my absolute favorite video about the IICP. John Browne is a metal rhythm legend, and the amp sounds larger than life.

Last edited:
I'm still undecided, but the Pitbull is still at the top of my list.
I did get the Powerball & Savage modules which will be used to add channels to my ENGL Inferno. ENGL modules through an ENGL power amp.... probably can't get much closer to the real deal than that.

The other couple which I'm undecided on which ones are going to be run through a L6 DT25. That's the amp with the Bogner designed power section that can physically change topologies & NFL. I want to play around with how the different power amp topologies will influence the sound and which ones will make the modules sound closest to the real thing. The working theory is basically using switchable/customizable power amp to get the best out of each module rather than a compromise with a one size fits all power amp.

With the MTS line a lot of module flipping was going on. So maybe your way would be to try to buy those mods you listed used and then keep what you like most? Theres a Synergy/MTS Facebook group where quite some module trafficking is going on.

For the tones you’re looking for the Ecstacy and Deliverance II would be perfect.

The DS module is pretty cool and actually excels at those tones with a good boost but it’s not super versatile. The Ecstasy and Uber modules are actually about good enough that I could be happy with just those and my PS100 for my only rig. The whore in me couldn’t let it happen though! Lol!

I’m making a bunch of Quad Cortex and Kemper packs of the Synergy stuff. If you have either of those I have sample stuff on my site.

Back