6505 is discontinued (says sweetwater)

A revamped VTM would be awesome. I’m not a metal player, but if I was I’d head straight to an old 5150 and not look back.

Peavey, Randall, and a few other of the legacy companies have kinda sat on their asses for the past couple years. It really doesn't seem like those companies have come out with anything in years Marshall 410, Invective, thrasher/Satan all came out at the same time.

A revamped VTM would be awesome. I’m not a metal player, but if I was I’d head straight to an old 5150 and not look back.
If they'd fix the volume taper I'd buy one right now. 5150 was my main amp from 92 on for about 12 years. Alot of amps came and went during that time but I always came right back to my 5150's.

I started on that amp so long ago when most people bagged on them back on the old Harmony Central days and even the early days here on RT. Now the damn things are iconic. No pun. Never forget my good friend had a Boogie endorsement, was a up and coming player on the Nashville scene. We went into a junky music store that Paul C used to do repairs at and they had a stack, he played it brought some of his Mesa gear back and traded for the amp that day. I had a full blown rack with switching system running a Langner Preamp. We A/B'ed them, the next week I bought a 5150 halfstack myself. Never went back to racks other than to house my pedals and switching system.

I eventually changed and started moving other amps only to finally settle on my current fave. But I've never forgotten how much I loved the original 5150.

Yeah, I’m a little worried I’ll regret the decision, but the VH4 is an itch I’ve been waiting to scratch for a couple of years 🤦🏻‍♂️
The VH4 is such a pleasing amp to play alone. Unfortunately stick it in a mix and just didn't make the cut "pun intended" But loved laying alone.

The VH4 is such a pleasing amp to play alone. Unfortunately stick it in a mix and just didn't make the cut "pun intended" But loved laying alone.
That’s good to know. This will mostly be at home, so that shouldn’t be an issue. Any thoughts on the VH2?

I think the VH4 cuts through just fine. It has a very distinctive voice and almost bizarre feel. It sounds like Godzilla stomping around.

I got frustrated with it because I wanted a channel with Channel 3's basic voice but the lower compression of channel 2. Channel 3 felt pinched to me but channel 2 was not quite gainy or aggressive enough.

5150/6505 is just a beast though. Can't stop smiling everything I use one.

In my opinion their product line should have continued the VTM, the XXX/JSX, and the 5150/6505 lines instead of putting everything into 6505 and invective.

Yep. I would mainly be up for the EL34/6L6 swapping on the fly. And depth or resonance which should be there anyway. Built in gate would be interesting.

Back