Michael Romeo's amp on Divine Wings of Tragedy?

Kyrpajyra

Banned

His tone is fucking crushing on this album. Wtf was he using in this album? There's only few interviews where he mentions a JCM 800 and Triaxis but he said that he used those on solos. Anyone who knows more?

His tone is fucking crushing on this album. Wtf was he using in this album? There's only few interviews where he mentions a JCM 800 and Triaxis but he said that he used those on solos. Anyone who knows more?

It sounds solid state. I've heard similar tones from the Ampeg VH140C & The Crate GX130C.

I know for a while, early 2000's, before he went to ENGL he was on Line 6 for a little while when playing live. Not sure what was used in the studio
Yep, I believe he used a Pod Pro rack mount and Marshall Monoblock. I think he may even used a Vetta too.

Since 2005, Romeo has taken advantage of a new custom model, Caparison Dellinger II – Michael Romeo Custom, which he used to record the Symphony X album Paradise Lost. Romeo was introduced to Caparison by Henrik Danhage of Evergrey.[5] Throughout his career, Romeo has also used ESP M-II Deluxe guitars with EMG Active pickups and Fender Stratocasters to perform and record other albums from the band.

In terms of amplification in the studio, he uses an ENGL Fireball as well as a recently acquired Engl SE E670 that is used strictly for recording purposes. Live, Romeo makes use of both the Engl Fireball and Powerball models as well as various Line 6 (company) models. Recent photographs that have been made available at Symphony X Official Website show him also using other amplifiers from brands such as Marshall and Madison. He has also been known to use a Mesa Boogie Triaxis and Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier for recording.

In terms of effects, Romeo pairs his various amplifiers with a TC Electronic G System and a Boss NS2 Noisegate.

Years back, I know he was strictly Line 6. I know I read he was using a Pod rack and Monoblock Power amp in stereo, and/or a couple Vettas.

You can tell in some of those old recordings that it was Line 6 in the studio as well.. His tone wasn't the greatest, nor was the production. I'm pretty sure he did it all in his house, (or a house). Certainly not high end studios. Early stuff was definitely low budget.

As noted above, I don't think he used real amps until Paradise Lost.

Last edited:
All those early albums were Triaxis into what he thinks was a 50/50 poweramp. Cabs could be Marshall and Boogie. He NEVER used S.S. amps to record, aside from maybe the odd part here and there. Its also possible that at some point a Marshall was used for a track here and there also, but up until Odyssey it was "Primarily" Triaxis. From Odyssey on its been all Engl. Vetta heads he used live and maybe the line 6 pod. The Madison he never used to record with and he never toured with that amp. Today its all Engl and Kemper for overseas dates, which have all his Engl amps profiled in it. Triaxis was an older unit without the phat mod. Hope that helps

Not to change subject but I’ve seen a lot of bands live. They are probably in the top 5. Everyone in the band has it down.
Just hoping they release some new material soon and get back on the road in 22.

Seen them live a couple times in the early 2000's and he had a Vetta head both times.

Bought one cause of him and could never get with the feel of the amp, sounded good but the feel was not there. Sold it and sticked to tubes ever since!!!!

I never have personally cared too much for his sound but it didn’t matter because the material was great…at least up through Paradise Lost anyway. I’ve seen them live a couple times, and they indeed crushed it. Michael Romeo has that Yngwie kind of “looks like he could be doing his taxes while playing guitar” skill level, but without the smugness.

Back