Apples to Zebras: Axe FX III direct compared to Amp/Cab/iPhone

cardinal

Thought this was entertaining but to be clear is apropos of absolutely nothing other than I need to buy an SM57.

Old 2204 and 1960AV. Had the iPhone on axis, dead center of the cone, two fingers back from the grill

Fractal Brit800 and York Bogner IR

Yeah iphone sounds fuller, meatier, tubyer!!! Lol

But the Fractal has the DNA for sure of the Marshall. Sounds great too. Maybe through a power amp and same cab, it be closer.

Yeah, it would be interesting to hear the Axe through the same cab with a power amp. I did this with my 2204 and Axe and the Axe won to my ears.

Yeah, it would be interesting to hear the Axe through the same cab with a power amp. I did this with my 2204 and Axe and the Axe won to my ears.
I have the Axe rig disassembled at the moment. I've done comparisons with the Axe through a power amp and same cab, I just didn't record it with the iPhone as well positioned.

The Fractal has a chewier(?), warmer sound to it than the real Marshall, which is more "clanky". In the clips, several people preferred the Fractal.

Can hear the dfference night and day thru my shitty 80€ android phone, but that's probably due the IR being from a different cab. Could you make an IR out of your 1960AV when you get sm57.

iPhone for the win! I will say, as the camera clarity has continued to improve with every generation of the phone, so has the mic / audio recording capabilities. I’ve laid down a few decent iphone recordings over the years.

I have the Axe rig disassembled at the moment. I've done comparisons with the Axe through a power amp and same cab, I just didn't record it with the iPhone as well positioned.

The Fractal has a chewier(?), warmer sound to it than the real Marshall, which is more "clanky". In the clips, several people preferred the Fractal.
I like that bright, clanky sound and was able to dial it in on my 800 preset. I even named it JCM 800 with Clank. Both of your recordings above sound good but I do like the iPhone better. Can you post the other video with the Axe through the power amp and cab?

I like that bright, clanky sound and was able to dial it in on my 800 preset. I even named it JCM 800 with Clank. Both of your recordings above sound good but I do like the iPhone better. Can you post the other video with the Axe through the power amp and cab?
Both iPhone clips with the phone somewhere off axis but in the same spot. I'll point out that both amp and the Axe FX used the same 1960AV but that is a different one than in the clips in the OP (the one in these clips is a bit warmer, thumpier). Also the 2204 in these clips is different than in the OP (this one has 6550 tubes).

Amp:

Fractal:

Last edited:
Back