My initial thoughts on the VH2

Br8krofChainz

Just picked up my brand new VH2. Did a ton of research before deciding on this particular amp and investigated many models (badlander, VH4, Paul, Engl Invader, Uber Twin Jet). I decided to go with the VH2 because I’m a simple guy and knew I wouldn’t need 4 channels from the VH4 as well as all the other shit it has. Got the amp today and am pleased. If there are others thinking of this amp here’s my review / 2 cents.

it’s a beast. It wants to scream. Channel 1 is richly clean and with a kiss of reverb (tc elec HOF) sounds rich. Channel 1 is the clean from the Paul and it’s everything you need in a clean. Not many speaking about how good the clean is but it’s awesome. My previous amp was a 5153 and the Clean on the VH2 is substantially better. I also had a PRS MT 15 and the Diezel clean on this owns that as well.
Channel 1 will get dirty enough for Bonamassa style blues lead but needs plenty of volume to get you there. If you are planning on playing bedroom volume and want dirty even for classic rock channel 1 isn’t the ticket, but there’s plenty of room in channel 2 to get you from classic rock blues straight to Adam Jones. With higher volume channel 1 for classic rock dirty works well, but I just assume go lower gain on channel 2 for this.
That’s why I wanted this amp, for me Adam’s tone on “pnuema” off of fear Innoculum is the single best most rich distorted tone I’ve ever heard and I’m 41 years old. I chose wisely because this exact tone is achievable with the VH2.
Channel 2 is a beast, but keep in mind if you’re gonna play at bedroom volume you’re gonna have to dial it in a little more unusually than you would a normal amp. It’s just built for volume. The build quality is amazing, best I’ve ever seen. Understand that each knob is much more sensitive than other manufacturers. So don’t be discouraged if you initially find at Lower volumes you can’t get that balls out tone, keep dicking with the knobs and you’ll find it.

with regard to tone, it’s tight, aggressive and clean. Others have described it as “compressed” and while I understand that I don’t find it to be 100% accurate. It’s just precise, for example if your rhythm riffing with the D & G strings (double stops type shit) on a normal amp (not as good as Diezel) it’s muddy and forgiving, but not with the Diezel, you can hear everything well. Best way to describe it is you can be balls out with the gain and arpeggiate chords and it sounds great, the gain doesn’t drown it out. I love it, it’s tone is nothing like I’ve ever heard. It really is a unique and well built amp. Another tip, because of the tightness I switched to a thinner pick to help with Rythm chops, found this to be helpful. Understand it’s not a lack of gain here just the tight structure lol of the voicing and clarity. Other amps are “wide open” and muddy so they hide a lot of shit.
Again I’m coming off a 5153 that I really liked, but I’m sorry the Diezel is miles better, more articulate and clean. The amp sounds recording study ready.
Final note the footswitch, I read that others didn’t like it and said it was cheap. I mean it’s tethered but it’s not cheap and does it’s job just fine and the tether is plenty long.

hope this helps.

My YT channel is kind of lame, but I made a video on this exact topic. I had a VH4 and sold it for a VH2. I think the VH2 is plenty of amp for most people and has more usable features for most non-or-semi professional players. Check it out below.

I do think the VH2 (and VH4) are very compressed, but that's what I like about them. It's almost like a Keeley compressor is built into the amp. For hard rock solos, they're especially unbeatable. The feel under your fingers is amazing and the amp responds exactly the way you want it to.

Some people have said they feel the VH2 and VH4 sound different but I think they can be dialed in 99% the same. Some also say the VH2 is "looser" than the VH4 but, having owned both, I don't feel that way either. Peter Diezel says the VH2 is a touch more "modern" and, as I call out in the video, I think that's a fancy way of saying "produced."

Think about it: do you know what Adam Jones' tone in-the-room is? Have you been in the room while he's playing? No, of course not. You know what his recorded tone sounds like. That's a produced sound. It's been touched by microphones, mic preamps, the mixing console, sound engineers, the producer, the mastering technician, etc. The VH2 sounds more like that. It gives you a slightly more produced sound. The VH4 is just a touch more "raw."

An analogy I make in the video is that a Friedman is a produced Marshall. That's literally what Dave did. He gave you a hot-rodded, produced Marshall sound in the room. Peter Diezel has done the same with the voicing on the VH2. He's giving you a produced Diezel sound in the room. He also made CH1 on the VH2 much more usable than CH1/CH2 on the VH4: the cleans are cleaner and more compressed (i.e., produced) and the dirtier sounds are a bit smoother.

I dig my VH2. Great amp. Gets a ton of compliments every time I use it.

My YT channel is kind of lame, but I made a video on this exact topic. I had a VH4 and sold it for a VH2. I think the VH2 is plenty of amp for most people and has more usable features for most non-or-semi professional players. Check it out below.

I do think the VH2 (and VH4) are very compressed, but that's what I like about them. It's almost like a Keeley compressor is built into the amp. For hard rock solos, they're especially unbeatable. The feel under your fingers is amazing and the amp responds exactly the way you want it to.

Some people have said they feel the VH2 and VH4 sound different but I think they can be dialed in 99% the same. Some also say the VH2 is "looser" than the VH4 but, having owned both, I don't feel that way either. Peter Diezel says the VH2 is a touch more "modern" and, as I call out in the video, I think that's a fancy way of saying "produced."

Think about it: do you know what Adam Jones' tone in-the-room is? Have you been in the room while he's playing? No, of course not. You know what his recorded tone sounds like. That's a produced sound. It's been touched by microphones, mic preamps, the mixing console, sound engineers, the producer, the mastering technician, etc. The VH2 sounds more like that. It gives you a slightly more produced sound. The VH4 is just a touch more "raw."

An analogy I make in the video is that a Friedman is a produced Marshall. That's literally what Dave did. He gave you a hot-rodded, produced Marshall sound in the room. Peter Diezel has done the same with the voicing on the VH2. He's giving you a produced Diezel sound in the room. He also made CH1 on the VH2 much more usable than CH1/CH2 on the VH4: the cleans are cleaner and more compressed (i.e., produced) and the dirtier sounds are a bit smoother.

Killer info and feedback here man, thank you!!
:rawk:
UnkleMo

Love my VH2. Two totally different useful channels VH4 has that popularly mojo going. It’s funny because everyone raves about one channel on a 4 channel amp. I get it. But in a mix I’d bet 99% of people couldn’t tell the difference between them.
I’m old school. Keep it simple. To me the VH2 does it and does it in spades. 🤘

Just picked up my brand new VH2. Did a ton of research before deciding on this particular amp and investigated many models (badlander, VH4, Paul, Engl Invader, Uber Twin Jet). I decided to go with the VH2 because I’m a simple guy and knew I wouldn’t need 4 channels from the VH4 as well as all the other shit it has. Got the amp today and am pleased. If there are others thinking of this amp here’s my review / 2 cents.

it’s a beast. It wants to scream. Channel 1 is richly clean and with a kiss of reverb (tc elec HOF) sounds rich. Channel 1 is the clean from the Paul and it’s everything you need in a clean. Not many speaking about how good the clean is but it’s awesome. My previous amp was a 5153 and the Clean on the VH2 is substantially better. I also had a PRS MT 15 and the Diezel clean on this owns that as well.
Channel 1 will get dirty enough for Bonamassa style blues lead but needs plenty of volume to get you there. If you are planning on playing bedroom volume and want dirty even for classic rock channel 1 isn’t the ticket, but there’s plenty of room in channel 2 to get you from classic rock blues straight to Adam Jones. With higher volume channel 1 for classic rock dirty works well, but I just assume go lower gain on channel 2 for this.
That’s why I wanted this amp, for me Adam’s tone on “pnuema” off of fear Innoculum is the single best most rich distorted tone I’ve ever heard and I’m 41 years old. I chose wisely because this exact tone is achievable with the VH2.
Channel 2 is a beast, but keep in mind if you’re gonna play at bedroom volume you’re gonna have to dial it in a little more unusually than you would a normal amp. It’s just built for volume. The build quality is amazing, best I’ve ever seen. Understand that each knob is much more sensitive than other manufacturers. So don’t be discouraged if you initially find at Lower volumes you can’t get that balls out tone, keep dicking with the knobs and you’ll find it.

with regard to tone, it’s tight, aggressive and clean. Others have described it as “compressed” and while I understand that I don’t find it to be 100% accurate. It’s just precise, for example if your rhythm riffing with the D & G strings (double stops type shit) on a normal amp (not as good as Diezel) it’s muddy and forgiving, but not with the Diezel, you can hear everything well. Best way to describe it is you can be balls out with the gain and arpeggiate chords and it sounds great, the gain doesn’t drown it out. I love it, it’s tone is nothing like I’ve ever heard. It really is a unique and well built amp. Another tip, because of the tightness I switched to a thinner pick to help with Rythm chops, found this to be helpful. Understand it’s not a lack of gain here just the tight structure lol of the voicing and clarity. Other amps are “wide open” and muddy so they hide a lot of shit.
Again I’m coming off a 5153 that I really liked, but I’m sorry the Diezel is miles better, more articulate and clean. The amp sounds recording study ready.
Final note the footswitch, I read that others didn’t like it and said it was cheap. I mean it’s tethered but it’s not cheap and does it’s job just fine and the tether is plenty long.

hope this helps.
Great review.

I'm coming from a Mark V 25 and thinking about the VH2. Bought the Mark because I loved the clean. Ended up not loving the dirty tones and like the Vh4 pedal better into the fat channel. I'm a big Adam Jones fan as well, but also want a great clean channel. The Diezel Paul Video and the VH2 Video have me landing on the VH2, especially since the VH2 has the Paul Channel 1. Their best clean amp with their best Dirty Channel (VH4 channel three) all in one package. If it only had that lush built-reverb of the Paul...

A few questions for the group:

1. What cabinet are people recommending (front/rear loaded), and V30s or K12 speakers? I emailed Diezel but they haven't responded yet (holidays and all I guess). I am think about a 2x12 but considering a 4x12. Like a 100 watt amp, I need neither, but if it sounds better, why not.

2. How easy is it to get a good tone (dials at noon sound good)? One other complaint I have on the Mesa is its hard to get and stay dialed in. You move one knob it has so much impact on others (the old Gain up Bass has to go down adage, but its not just the Bass).

3, I am a home player with young kids, so low volumes are often necessary. So also interested in Xman's question about dialing in at low volume.

THX

Nice video.

What Cab are you running?

Is yours got the 6L6s or the KT77s (most the ones available today are 6L6 due to tube shortages)? Wondering if its worth the plug without the KT77s.

Nice video.

What Cab are you running?

Is yours got the 6L6s or the KT77s (most the ones available today are 6L6 due to tube shortages)? Wondering if its worth the plug without the KT77s.
Hey man, this was recorded into my UA OX Box using a Marshall 4x12 cab loaded with V30 speakers with 30% speaker break-in mic'd with a SM 57 and a Royer 121. My VH2 is a 2020 model so it came with KT77 tubes.

I actually plugged into this amp again yesterday for the first time in probably two months and DAMN, it's a great amp. Sometimes you need to let some time go by and then play something again for the "first" time to remember how kickass it is. Love my VH2.

Great review.

I'm coming from a Mark V 25 and thinking about the VH2. Bought the Mark because I loved the clean. Ended up not loving the dirty tones and like the Vh4 pedal better into the fat channel. I'm a big Adam Jones fan as well, but also want a great clean channel. The Diezel Paul Video and the VH2 Video have me landing on the VH2, especially since the VH2 has the Paul Channel 1. Their best clean amp with their best Dirty Channel (VH4 channel three) all in one package. If it only had that lush built-reverb of the Paul...

A few questions for the group:

1. What cabinet are people recommending (front/rear loaded), and V30s or K12 speakers? I emailed Diezel but they haven't responded yet (holidays and all I guess). I am think about a 2x12 but considering a 4x12. Like a 100 watt amp, I need neither, but if it sounds better, why not.

2. How easy is it to get a good tone (dials at noon sound good)? One other complaint I have on the Mesa is its hard to get and stay dialed in. You move one knob it has so much impact on others (the old Gain up Bass has to go down adage, but its not just the Bass).

3, I am a home player with young kids, so low volumes are often necessary. So also interested in Xman's question about dialing in at low volume.

THX
I play my VH2 in a small room with a Mesa 4x12. It is absolutely overkill and unnecessary but we only live once so what the hell. It has a fantastic master volume and you will be just fine dialing in good bedroom tones. I prefer to crank the master to noon and keep the channel volume very low. If you can get it up to 85 decibels or so it sounds amazing but even at TV volume it sounds better at home than any other amp I’ve had (many).

I play my VH2 in a small room with a Mesa 4x12. It is absolutely overkill and unnecessary but we only live once so what the hell. It has a fantastic master volume and you will be just fine dialing in good bedroom tones. I prefer to crank the master to noon and keep the channel volume very low. If you can get it up to 85 decibels or so it sounds amazing but even at TV volume it sounds better at home than any other amp I’ve had (many).
Thanks. I try to keep things in the 70dbs when the family is home but move to the low 80s on the rare occasion they are all out of the house. So that was super helpful.

I had a music producer over at my place giving a lesson and he said a 4x12 is not overkill. There is just a sound you can't get out of anything else even if you never crank it. His teenager plays a JCM 800 (with an attenuator since that master isn't great) with a 4x12 and will turn it down when the mom goes to bed in the next room. He says it still sounds better than any 2x12.

Sounds like I need to pull the trigger. Just wish the new ones came with KT77s and not 6L6, though I know I can change that later.

Just got mine and agree it plays beautifully at low volumes. I was nervous coming from a 25 watt head. But it does low volume better than my Mesa Mark 25.

Love how I can turn volume down and I don't need to fully re EQ it either. Sure its different but the general tone is there. Mesa felt like a whole new sound at different volumes.

What does keeping the master cranked to noon and channel volume low do vs. channel volume up and Master low?

What does keeping the master cranked to noon and channel volume low do vs. channel volume up and Master low?
often discussed topic...

for me the combination of both together is somehow the key for me, so it depends on your max volume you can drive somehow, out of a previous post:

For the VH4 in combination with full Musicians around I personally prefer to have the Channel volume not lower than 11 o clock, rather reduce the master at that point in time, below 9 o clock, I personally have the feeling that amp losing "livingness", having said this, for me its difficult to run the VH4 on lower volume than Channel to 11, Master to 9, but would still prefer to lower the master than the Channel Volume in that case

often discussed topic...

for me the combination of both together is somehow the key for me, so it depends on your max volume you can drive somehow, out of a previous post:

For the VH4 in combination with full Musicians around I personally prefer to have the Channel volume not lower than 11 o clock, rather reduce the master at that point in time, below 9 o clock, I personally have the feeling that amp losing "livingness", having said this, for me its difficult to run the VH4 on lower volume than Channel to 11, Master to 9, but would still prefer to lower the master than the Channel Volume in that case
Does one activate the power tubes more? I'm used to an amp with 1 gain and 1 master volume per channel, not that plus another global master.

With one per channel, I know opening it up activates the power tubes more. But I wasn't sure how exactly the Global master worked vs. the channel master. Do they do they hit the same part of the signal or is 1 Pre and the other Post some part of the circuit?

Basically trying to understand the mechanics (or should I say the electronics) of it.

Back