A Triple Recto, a Mark II Coliseum & a SLO walk into a bar..

Which sounds best?!?!

• Triple Recto

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Mark II Coli

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • SLO

Votes: 17 51.5%

• Total voters

GJgo

So I was going through some clips from gigs and wanted to share a comparo. My band TIGHTEN has done a number of shows at the same venue, same soundman etc., here are three clips of the same song being played by each of these heavy hitting amps. In all cases they are EMG -> boost -> amp -> Recto V30 4x12. The soundman & I have a clear favorite- what do you prefer?

Early Triple Recto rev G

Mark IIB+ KRG

BAD Soldano SLO

I'd love to add my Wizard to the list but I have a feeling it'll be sold before our next show..

Last edited:
It’s really hard to tell a difference between the amps with those clips. It seems this was recorded with a phone in a really loud room. That being said, kudos to your band. You guys are into some interesting ideas.

You are correct, with a phone in a very loud room! I find the phone to be pretty honest, though, and the differences come through.

I'd like to see more guys with great amp collections gigging with them & posting vids.

Listening back through headphones. They all sound good. I may have to give the edge to the Triple Recto. The Soldano sounds really good too. Thought the MKII sounded thin compared to the other two. You guys rock though. I dig it.

Thanks my friend. :) We're recording an album now with my IIC+, it's going very well. We're definitely influenced by 80s & 90s metal, punk & thrash. 🤟

I don't know if it would go down like that exactly if the amps went direct through a killer IR these days...

I listened on my iPad and didn’t listen in detail, just initial impression could hear the guitar better on the SLO, so that was my vote.

Didn't like the Mark. I liked the general voice of the SLO but thought the Recto was chugging better.

Triple rec and SLO both sounded good, slight edge to the Trip.

the Mk ii sounded like a cardboard box in comparison.

Triple for me, then SLO and the 2B. But, having heard other clips of this Mark it does sound like it’s dialed a little differently; maybe the 750 is pushed up more than usual.

Back