I finally figured out why I can't get along with a Mesa Recto

All I use are straight cabs! But they are all great, slants are great too. They sound different slightly yes, especially in the midrange because of how far back the speaker moves in a slant vs straight baffle, but they both sound great!

Cool! I recently bought an OS straight cab and I really dig it. Haven't recorded with it yet (which is why I asked ya as I figured you'd have good reliable info) but it does sound great in the room. It also pairs up really well with EVH 4x12 cabs too which use Heritage Greenbacks, which are like standard M Greenbacks but smoother on top, without the papery high end. The EVH 4x12's by comparison have a slightly more resonant low end, and are just a bit more scooped, so they pair really well with the Mesa.

I also favor straight cabs. They've always sounded fuller and more balanced to me than slants. I do have a Mesa trad slant 4x12 which is great for jamming live with my friends because the traditional size emphasizes high mids so it cuts, and the slant aims the speakers at my head so I can hear myself, but when I'm playing at home or recording, straight cabs all day.

Last edited:
wait till you experience the old school metal grill half backs....the 90's up top and the ev's on the bottom are the cat's ass. I also had one fully loaded with emi ms12's that flat out ripped also.

A Mark IV and halfback with an Ampeg VH-140C and 4x12 was the most brutal metal sound I've ever heard.

The original Mesa straight OS recto cab is just the same as the slanted one. Only the shell is straight, the baffle is slanted just the same anyway. Mesa only started to make real straight OS recto cab about 10 years ago. That means all the 90s/00s sound has been recorded with slanted cabs. The OS cab records very well in my own experience. I've seen way more OS than trad cabs in recording studios.

xim3ude9uycan2citdiu.jpg
i've been playing my buddies 3ch dual rec with this cab lately when i jam with my friends. fuckin low end city even with the bass knob on zero on the red channel. It sounds great, but i prefer my mark IV... the guys in my band think i sound better with the recto... works for me, i don't need to lug my gear to jam!

My first T-Rec is a 2004 model. Sounds like a Tiger having an aneurysm. Never selling it.
I'm not that chuggy, I'm more of an Iommi/Trower nerd, so it works for me.

My backup Triple rec is the variable wattage model from about 2012.
Way different.
Not bad, but it doesn't scare me like my buddy's Uberschall Twin Jet does. Good Lord.

That MarkV/Recto comparison, however, is pretty eye-opening.

Back