Randy Rhoads Signature Marshall.

Jhexp75

One of these has come up for sale locally and I'm wondering if anybody has one or has played one?

I’ve played one with the full stack.
Incredibly LOUD!!!!
Not much hiss was quite yet noise wise from what o remember. Sounded great though

I had one and like others have said its LOUD.....Seems like it was on the trebley side. I was not knocked out by it and traded it off after about a year. I love Rhoads but did not love the amp but it is collectable. I would recommend playing it for a while if you can.

Thanks for the replies. I'd run it through a PS2 if I did get it. I may be getting caught up in the looks of the amp, I love Randy but I'm not really a fan of some of his studio tone. I do like the Tribute tone though.

Thanks for the replies. I'd run it through a PS2 if I did get it. I may be getting caught up in the looks of the amp, I love Randy but I'm not really a fan of some of his studio tone. I do like the Tribute tone though.
Mine sounds nothing like either album tone. It does do his live tone which was awesome.
The studio tone was too many mics placed poorly and a low budget. I saw him live way up front where I got his stage volume. Big fat thick tone.
Like I said it is LOUD. Be prepared.

Mine sounds nothing like either album tone. It does do his live tone which was awesome.
The studio tone was too many mics placed poorly and a low budget. I saw him live way up front where I got his stage volume. Big fat thick tone.
Like I said it is LOUD. Be prepared.
I'm very tempted to get this head just on looks alone but the guy is asking quite a lot for it.

How does the unmodded side stack up against original JMP's?

I'm very tempted to get this head just on looks alone but the guy is asking quite a lot for it.

How does the unmodded side stack up against original JMP's?
As far as mine goes, if you are referring to 2203 type from mid to late 70’s, mine has more gain and midrange than any of the ones Ive had. Its not a ton more gain, but it is more. Mine isn’t bright at all, very beefy and loud. I don’t use the modded side at all and from the pics Ive seen of Randy with his, he didn’t either. There are a few vids of mine on my youtube channel, just a camera mic and nothing great. But should give you an idea what it sounds like.

Its not my favorite amp, but it is a cool one.

As far as mine goes, if you are referring to 2203 type from mid to late 70’s, mine has more gain and midrange than any of the ones Ive had. Its not a ton more gain, but it is more. Mine isn’t bright at all, very beefy and loud. I don’t use the modded side at all and from the pics Ive seen of Randy with his, he didn’t either. There are a few vids of mine on my youtube channel, just a camera mic and nothing great. But should give you an idea what it sounds like.

Its not my favorite amp, but it is a cool one.
I just checked your vids, it sounds pretty good tbh. I guess it doesn't stack up against those wizards you have?

I just checked your vids, it sounds pretty good tbh. I guess it doesn't stack up against those wizards you have?
I just have the one Wizard MC custom now. Its the amp I gig with. The RR is more of a collectible, but cool. Has a good tone, just different.

I'm sure it would sound great at low volume with an SD-1 in front. Pretty collectible amp I'd imagine.
This...I can't imagine it's much different than my 72? With the treble vol off, and rhythm vol on .2 with a pedal or 2 I can get a nice low volume tone...in the r lower input it is much quieter and still nice. But if I even CRACK vol 1 AT ALL it blows the remaining 10 hairs off my head.
Seriously. Haha

This...I can't imagine it's much different than my 72? With the treble vol off, and rhythm vol on .2 with a pedal or 2 I can get a nice low volume tone...in the r lower input it is much quieter and still nice. But if I even CRACK vol 1 AT ALL it blows the remaining 10 hairs off my head.
Seriously. Haha
There really is no low volume on my amp…its either off or blasting. I have to load it down and run into another power amp to quiet it down.

Back