NAD - Orange Rockerverb 100 MKIII

Meeotch

Haven't done a NAD in a while so I figured it was time. I've been loving my Mark tones for ages now and decided I wanted a different flavor for general high gain riffing. Thrash, death, doom, black, classic...if it's metal I want to play it! I've always leaned towards punchy and tight, so honestly this was a bit of an experiment. I've been considering a Dual or Triple Rectifier for some time now, but prices are high and I wanted to try a different route. I've been really curious about Orange amps, especially this Rockerverb MKIII, and this one came up locally for a decent enough deal so here we go.

Right off the bat I was surprised by the cleans on this amp. They are warm for sure, but you can get plenty of chime and shimmer with some tweaking. The built-in attenuator is really an awesome feature, as you can crank the clean channel volume for some breakup and dial the attenuator down to ANY level you desire.

Now the dirty channel is interesting to say the least. The core tone of this amp is very mid-forward (not so different from the Marks) and round. Cranking the treble helps, but seriously this circuit needs a presence control. So I threw an EQ in the loop and a boost up front, now we're talking. The mids really need scooping again, just like a Mark, but the bottom end is looser. Enter the Pro Tone Dino. I'd been contemplating selling this pedal as it's just a bit too modern for my taste, but holy shit it is a match made in heaven with this amp and turns it into a thrash machine.

Still lots of experimenting to do here but I'm loving the feel of this amp. To my surprise it's very quick and punchy with the boost/eq but can also get THICK and doomy. Cheers!

Very nice. Congrats! The attenuator feature is what I love most about the MK3. Also, I feel they refined the gain just a bit too for a more modern sound a la the TH30. My favorite is still the MK2 with the ability to swap any power tube in it. 6550's really open that amp up.

Thanks! So can the MK3 take different power tubes? I thought I read it can but the user manual doesn't cover this.

Nice man, I have a Dual Dark with that attenuator and it’s one of the most useful things I’ve ever had on an amp. Love that thing.

HNAD, Orange rules!

Nice! Orange is one brand I've never spent time with. Only ever fiddled with a few in stores.

Is that an ISP sub?

Congrats! Would love to try one of these out someday. Only orange i've been exposed to is my 1976 orange or80 that is just a monster.

Nice man, I have a Dual Dark with that attenuator and it’s one of the most useful things I’ve ever had on an amp. Love that thing.

HNAD, Orange rules!
Man a couple years ago I was so close to buying a DD100 for $1800. Now the cheapest I've seen is $2700. Have you compared it to the RV?

Nice! Orange is one brand I've never spent time with. Only ever fiddled with a few in stores.

Is that an ISP sub?
Hah yeah, it's a fun toy that I'll power up on occasion when the fam is away.

Last edited:
Man a couple years ago I was so close to buying a DD100 for $1800. Now the cheapest I've seen in $2700. Have you compared it to the RV?

Nice! Yeah I have one too and it certainly fills things out down low. It's like having a depth knob on the MCII.

Thanks! So can the MK3 take different power tubes? I thought I read it can but the user manual doesn't cover this.
No I believe it only takes EL34/KT77/6CA7 tubes, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The amp was made for those tubes and still sounds incredible. I just happen to prefer the sound and feel of 6550 tubes.

Man a couple years ago I was so close to buying a DD100 for $1800. Now the cheapest I've seen is $2700. Have you compared it to the RV?

Yeah but the OG version; jam buddy has the RVI and that thing is a beast.

It’s really nice to jam them in stereo, too. Fills the room with sludgy goodness.

The RVI is looser than the DD, can dial them in pretty close. Using a boost, can get the RV pretty tight but not as tight as the DD, and the RV doesn’t have that attenuator on it, so it’s pretty loud by the time we get em all set up and even lol

Congrats :cheers:

Don't hear or see much of these around here but the MKII Rockerverb I played I really enjoyed. Much preferred over the Rocker 30 I played once.

Back